1.    #1  
    Hi Folks,

wondering if anyone can help me:

1. i will be opening up a new dvd rental store in the new year. i need to get some custom software written that can handle the task (the sw on the market won't cut it).

2. in addition to having great functionality/flexibility on the desktop, i would like to integrate it with a web site. i want members of my store to be able to do things in a "web community" type environment and have these things updated on the db in the store. for instance:

a. be able to log in with membership # and pin, browse the stock and pick out titles they want to watch. then, when they come in the store, they can log into the cust terminal and see their list.

b. be able to purchase sell through items online (mail order) and have the $ spent saved to their customer profile in the store (for tracking activity and bonus incentives).

c. view the titles they currently have out, along with return times.

d. sign up for a new membership online and then when they visit the store, this information is available/confirmable by our staff.

and lots more.

what DB would best suit this purpose? what (in total) would i need to do this easily, safely (securely), and quickly with.

i have not decided whether the store will be mac or pc so platform is irrelevant. i will go with the best solution.

thanks,

mc
    Hire a professional firm to do this.

First of all, I'd probably forgo the desktop application for now. I'd perhaps make the entire system web-based. That would cut down on development costs and make the application much more scalable.

The big issue is how much demand are you going to be putting on the server. Is this DVD rental store just a local ma and pa store in your area, or are you looking at going global and hope to have thousands of hits per hour on your site?

It if it is a Ma and Pa store, you can probably get away with some very basic databases such as Filemaker or Access, or perhaps move up into a SQL database such as MySQL. A SQL server may give you a bit more flexibility down the road.

It sounds like you are also dealing with inventory and ecommerce as well. These are systems that you will want integrated into the overall site and should be planned out from the start as well.

Find a good firm that has done GOOD online applications already. Try to come up with a comprehensive 'big picture' plan and then listen to them as they work with you to flush all of the details out.

If possible, stay away from an MS-only solution...but that's just me.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by homer
    Hire a professional firm to do this.

Find a good firm that has done GOOD online applications already.
    Try to come up with a comprehensive 'big picture' plan and then listen to them as they work with you to flush all of the details out.
    Thanks Homer.

How do I find such a firm? Should I worry about them being local (for support)?

mc
    Well, what's the budget? Where are you located? (I ask that in that I personally know a few companies in the midwest that could possibly do this for you...but enough of the sales pitch!)

What you are looking for is a good web development firm that has a good balance of talent. A lot of Design firms are just that...good at design and not necessarily development, and a lot of software dev companies are good at software development, but not so good at interface design and usability. The trick is to find that firm that is good at back-end development AND front-end usability.

So it's tough...you'll need to do your research!

Alternatively, if you know the technology you want to go with (such as Oracle) then find a developer that works with that specific technology (ie, an Oracle developer).

It would be good to find a company that is developing to some sort of 'standard.' Of course, standards aren't necessarily standard, but it's a start. For instance, if they are developing to J2EE (A Java development standard) then it is more likely that you would be able to find another Java developer in the future that could update the software more easily. Local support wouldn't hurt, either, though, since it is a web application, that may not necessarily be that important.

Alternatively, you may want to find a consultant that will work with you to find the right firm to develop the project.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne