Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    [...] Why does it seem that only the Twin citians have these weird chats about the good food and the good neighborhouds?
    Because there seems to be an abnormally high concentration of you lot on this BB. Somehow I doubt if there are any of my neighbors here (although I seem to recall a person or two from NOLA).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Because there seems to be an abnormally high concentration of you lot on this BB. Somehow I doubt if there are any of my neighbors here (although I seem to recall a person or two from NOLA).
    To be fair, NOLA's quite a town too. I love that town.

I'd love to live in NOLA if it weren't for those 11 intollerably hot months you have...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    To be fair, NOLA's quite a town too. I love that town.
    heh...ironic...I can't stand it. Its only redeeming features AFAIC are the Aquarium and the Zoo.
    I'd love to live in NOLA if it weren't for those 11 intollerably hot months you have...
    We did that on purpose. Ever see Maverick (with Mel Gibson)? Not the best movie ever made, but there's a line in there where Graham Greene replies to Mel's "you sure do pick the spots" line with "Yeah, I know. You know the next time you people come and drive us off our land I'm gonna find a nice piece of swamp that's so God-awful, maybe then you'll leave us the hell alone!" Well, that's what my ancestors did after Le Grand Derangement.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    heh...ironic...I can't stand it. Its only redeeming features AFAIC are the Aquarium and the Zoo.
    But THE FOOD! You have the best food in the world down there. And the music is amazing.

And the trolley. Trolleys are cool! We don't have trolleys in the Twin Cities. Though apparently we used to have one of the best trolley systems in the country, but, in our infinite wisdom, we replaced them with busses.
    -David Byrne
    [...] But THE FOOD! You have the best food in the world down there. And the music is amazing. [...]
    That's the thing, though. I don't have to go to New Orleans to get that stuff.
    And the trolley. Trolleys are cool! We don't have trolleys in the Twin Cities. Though apparently we used to have one of the best trolley systems in the country, but, in our infinite wisdom, we replaced them with busses.
    That happened to NOLA as well. The streetcars that are still around are just for the tourists.
    Originally posted by Toby
    I know, it seems like half the major contributors of the site are from the Twin Cities area. I think I saw one other person say they were from the Kansas City area so I guess I am not alone.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Snff Nobody's from Philadelphia. If you have any brains people, keep it that way! Philadelphia is the most BORING place in the COUNTRY! There are more interesting places in New Jersey! Actually, I've met people from Philadelphia who belong to VC, but they don't actively post.

Minneapolis vs. St. Paul:

St. Paul- You have A Prarie Home Companion.
    Minneapolis- Your name sounds cooler.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    Snff Nobody's from Philadelphia. If you have any brains people, keep it that way! Philadelphia is the most BORING place in the COUNTRY! There are more interesting places in New Jersey!
    You bet! I can't speak about Philly, since I haven't spent much time there. New Jersey takes a lot of abuse, but it's mostly from people who have only seen it from the Turnpike I'd guess. It's actually not a bad place if you stay out of the stinky parts and don't care for making left turns. I'm not a native tho.
    Is anyone from Aberdeen here?

Anyone?

How about South Dakota?

Oh well. I didn't fit in at school, either.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    **** - aberdeen being aberdeen computers?!?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    **** - aberdeen being aberdeen computers?!?
    I doubt it, can you link?
    -Joshua
    I've never been to Minnesota, though my artistic claim-to-fame is having spent one summer in college building the 10 1/2' cherry of "Cherry and Spoonbridge" fame. We didn't have Visors back then, but I did have (and still do have, actually) a 200 ton hydaulic press that came in real handy.

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn....dge_winter.jpg
    You built that?!?!?! wow that is so a landamark of the twin cities. I rememebr when I was a little kid, I wanted to climb it... but than I got yelled at :-d
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    If I had only known how famous it would eventually become, I would have ...shall we imply...done something to properly christen the piece. As it was, all I did inside it was spent many weeks in sweltering heat backing welds.

You should know that the cherry is not spherical...it is shaped and strategically "dented" just like a real cherry, which required odd bending of the aluminum frames on which the aluminum outer skin is welded. It would have been much easier to build it as a perfect sphere.

There is a little porthole that you climb through to get inside the cherry. Once inside you will see the aluminum frame, lots of my handwritting, numbering frames and plates, and the hoses and tubing that carry the water up to the stem.

The frames themselves are pretty sharp; there really isn't anyplace that one could "get comfortable" inside it. FYI, we built the cherry, but not the spoon. That was done by an outfit in Connecticut.
    You built that?!?!?! wow that is so a landamark of the twin cities. I rememebr when I was a little kid, I wanted to climb it... but than I got yelled at :-d
    My wife student taugh in Wagga-Wagga, Australia. When she told them where she was from, they said 'oh...the place with the big cherry!'

Small world, I guess.
    -David Byrne

Small world, I guess.
    My best friend was in the Air Force during the "Nicaragua Incident" and he wrote to tell me how he had been watching the Today show at his "forward deployment base" and had seen Willard Scott broadcasting the weatherin front of the cherry. We all enjoyed that.

Perhaps I ought to go back into the aluminum shop and cook up a little something for our boys in Afganistan (though without the help of Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen I don't think it would be quite as well recieved.).
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 01/02/2002 at 08:14 PM.
    I always wanted to use the picture uploading functionality. What any of this has to do with DietRichBohn winning a Treo I have no idea.

Here is a picture of the Cherry on its way to Minneapolis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 01/01/2002 at 03:53 PM.
    dude. congrats. (remember me? i'm the one that sold you the soundsgood springboard?)

how'd you do it? did you use the jedi mind trick to win it?

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Originally posted by namja
    dude. congrats. (remember me? i'm the one that sold you the soundsgood springboard?)
    Yep, I remember. In fact, I just dissassembled the thing last night and tried to fix the headphone jack, with limited success...
    I simply emailed Marcus the message "These aren't the Treos you're looking for."
    Originally posted by namja

namja, it's good to see your typing again. How are the otters?
    -Joshua
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12