Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Originally posted by Toby
    Think _very_ different.
    That's hilarious. Nicely done.

So, Mac wouldn't work so good for employee use, how about the xServe as a server? That seems incredibly feasible. Regarding numbers as to productivity - I've only seen them for OS 9 and earlier - hence my comment 'Not sure if those 'productivity tests' showing people get more done on the Mac OS applies to OS X.' Maybe I should've written 'would apply' in lieu of 'applies.' Regardless, I just hate to see OS X dismissed out of hand because it didn't used to play well with others. Seems as though 'twould be an IT department's dream.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    So, Mac wouldn't work so good for employee use,
    I'm not so sure that I'd take my statements to mean that. I just don't think that it's a slamdunk. If the numbers were attractive enough, I'm sure some would consider it. AAMOF, I know of at least one local business (not a small one either) who runs an all Mac shop.
    how about the xServe as a server? That seems incredibly feasible.
    I really haven't looked into it, so I won't comment yet.
    Regardless, I just hate to see OS X dismissed out of hand because it didn't used to play well with others. Seems as though 'twould be an IT department's dream.
    If it ran on standard hardware which that department already had experience with, and ran all of the same software which the company already ran, it very well might be. That's the catch, though. It doesn't, and it probably doesn't, so it usually isn't.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Here's my desktop.
    Note my eye-melting selection of neon colors for the syntax highlighting. It keeps people from reading my code over my shoulder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It doesn't,
    It may if one is using a PowerMac and proper drivers have been written. Of course, the department takes a hit WRT cost.
    and it probably doesn't,
    The ubiquitous MS apps have been. The rest depends on the type of business.
    so it usually isn't.
    Which would be nice to change.
    -Joshua
    It may if one is using a PowerMac and proper drivers have been written. Of course, the department takes a hit WRT cost.
    What platform does the PowerMac run on? Having a PCI bus doesn't make it 'standard hardware' that most IT departments have experience with.
    The ubiquitous MS apps have been. The rest depends on the type of business.
    Yep, and I'd wager that unless that type of business has a history of large amounts of Mac users, it won't be there. Unfortunately for Mac Advocates, such businesses are obviously few and far between.
    Which would be nice to change.
    Better pick an industry and start coding, then.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    What platform does the PowerMac run on? Having a PCI bus doesn't make it 'standard hardware' that most IT departments have experience with.
    Are you talking software (Mac) or hardware (G4)? Regardless, standard cards will fit and work if the drivers are there. Any issues dealing with that hardware apply (for instance if it is known that a specific card has x hardware problems). The software aspect would be different (accessing the tcp/ip settings for a NIC, etc.). I'm assuming you're referring to the second?
    Yep, and I'd wager that unless that type of business has a history of large amounts of Mac users, it won't be there.
    Are vast sections of business software written as needed?
    Better pick an industry and start coding, then.
    Um, no thanks. I just joined a bowling league.
    -Joshua
    Are you talking software (Mac) or hardware (G4)?
    I was primarily talking hardware, but either would work.
    Regardless, standard cards will fit and work if the drivers are there.
    That's a pretty big if that's a non-issue on the Wintel side of things.
    Any issues dealing with that hardware apply (for instance if it is known that a specific card has x hardware problems).
    The point is, though, that one usually doesn't have to even bother with whether there's a driver. That's only a familiar issue to someone like you or me who uses alternative OSes.
    The software aspect would be different (accessing the tcp/ip settings for a NIC, etc.).
    That's not all, though.
    I'm assuming you're referring to the second?
    Primarily, but that's not all.
    Are vast sections of business software written as needed?
    Depends on the business, but even in the ones that are, they tend to write for a specific platform. You think a Visual Basic or RPG or whatever programmer is going to just be able to code for Mac overnight? One of the programmers at work can't stand C and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole (I'm not familiar enough with what languages he likes outside of RPG to explain why).
    Um, no thanks. I just joined a bowling league.
    What a coincidence. I just threw away my old bowling balls.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456