1.    #1  
    So I'm notified there is an update for quicktime on my XP netbook and in the update thing it also indicated there is an update for iphone configuration utility. Problem is I don't have an iphone and never have had one and didn't install it. I can only assume this was stealth installed with quicktime. What I can find is how to remove it. Obviously there is no reason to have it installed and even more so no reason for apple to have stealth installed it. Unfortunately I can't remove quicktime as it is needed for certain things until such time as those certain things stop using quicktime formats.
    Do you have iTunes installed?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    When you download iTunes you get several other executables with it: QuickTime, Bonjour, iTunes Helper, iPod Service and Apple Mobile Device Service. Worse still, they're all set to run at start up. Best bet is to dump iTunes, IMO. But if you like iTunes you may want to uninstall it and reinstall using this method:

Install iTunes Without the Extra Bloat - iTunes - Lifehacker

If you never downloaded iTunes, it is possible you got it with QuickTime, not sure. But, again, the best option is probably to dump QT and get QuickTime Alternative, which allows you to play .mov files.
    Last edited by groovy; 09/16/2009 at 08:26 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Do you have iTunes installed?
    Odd thing is I don't and never did, only installed quicktime.

Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    But, again, the best option is probably to dump QT and get QuickTime Alternative, which allows you to play .mov files.
    Will this work for embedded content too?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    As far as I know, it plays embedded quicktime content in IE, FF and Opera.