Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Since upgrading to Windows XP I have made a special point not to install RealPLayer, RealMedia, or whatever this month's flavor of "Real" is being called. I got tired of the never ending pop-ups, the recurrent self-insertions into my taskbar, and fighting off its attempts to become my "default media player".

    I have some sympathy for the RealMedia company and their struggle to keep Microsoft at bay, but I finally got fed up with their obnoxious tactics. My New Years resolution will be to swear off all third-party media apps. Unless someone gives me free DVD playback.
  2. #2  
    I have some sympathy for the RealMedia company
    You have sympathy for a company that develops awful software and hasn't made any real improvements in the past 5 years?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  3.    #3  
    My choice of the word "some" as opposed to "alot" was very deliberate!
  4. #4  
    Amen Keefer...

    Say NO to Real Audio crapware.
  5. #5  
    I used to like RealPlayer, however, upon getting XP and downloading RealOne I was very offended. They constantly tried to trick you into registering for the permonth fee and the app nearly takes over your system! I uninstalled it minutes later. I'm all for competition to Microsoft, but monopolizing a consumer's desktop is not the way!
    -Vincent
  6. #6  
    I used to love RealJukebox, then with WMP 8 came with XP I never found a need for Real. I got DVD playback free because I already owned WinDVD. I personally perfer Windows Media Format over MP3, so MP3 ripping isn't a problem, besides you can activate it by editing the registry. I got the Bonus Pack for XP which I love. I converted my collection of <20 MP3s to WMA format, and the Winamp skin importer is pretty cool. Bonus pack also has a tray icon to control WMP. Real stinks.
  7. #7  
    The onlything i use realjuxebox for is ripping cd's b/c it's the easiest way for me, besides that it's winamp for mp3's and MWMP for movies.
    Don't Worry It's Human Nature To Point Out The Obvious
  8. #8  
    Never really used anything else other than real, it came with my MP3 player. I just set it to 'random' and let the tunes roll anyway - don't need anything advanced for that
  9. #9  
    Have you guys ever set you firewall to not allow Real player to allow net access. That thing is sending every website you go to the to the mother ship. I tried to follow up with zone alarm, but they already have knowledge that Real.com reports back to the mother ship every site you happen to go to.

    So... if you MUST use the real player, make sure you don't let it access the internet unless you know about it.
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by LarryN
    Have you guys ever set you firewall to not allow Real player to allow net access. That thing is sending every website you go to the to the mother ship. I tried to follow up with zone alarm, but they already have knowledge that Real.com reports back to the mother ship every site you happen to go to.

    So... if you MUST use the real player, make sure you don't let it access the internet unless you know about it.
    Firewall?, I use dial-up, is this program gathering info while on dial up? I think musicmatch came on the MP3 player CD I got as well as real, I just installed Real for no particular reason, maybe I need to switch.
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by dampeoples


    Firewall?, I use dial-up, is this program gathering info while on dial up? I think musicmatch came on the MP3 player CD I got as well as real, I just installed Real for no particular reason, maybe I need to switch.
    Not to be paranoid, but I think that everbody, nowadays, should have a firewall set up. There's more apps trying to access the internet from your pc than you realize, until you set it up.... Even with a dialup (when my dsl line is down) I can see people with port sniffing software trying to access any possible shared drives or open port on my pc. I would think it's well worth the download to set up a firewall.

    Any others think so as well?
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by LarryN


    Not to be paranoid, but I think that everbody, nowadays, should have a firewall set up. There's more apps trying to access the internet from your pc than you realize, until you set it up.... Even with a dialup (when my dsl line is down) I can see people with port sniffing software trying to access any possible shared drives or open port on my pc. I would think it's well worth the download to set up a firewall.

    Any others think so as well?
    Don't have a clue on how to set a firewall up, ya got me wondering, though. Might just browse on the 'ol Prism, don't think they could do much harm there...
  13. #13  
    I'm with LarryN - it shocked me how much stuff was trying to access the net without my knowing about it. Besides, according to my software someone tries to "probe" my system at least once a week. Freaky.
  14. #14  
    I recently purchased a LinkSYS 4Port Router/Switch. It pretty much does it all, including acting as a FireWall.

    I also have software installed called BlackICE that I had to use when I got VPN access into my company. The version I have is a scaled down version with no UserInterface. It just runs in background.

    I had always heard concerns about people out there trying to access PC's and the importance of FireWalls. Then one day, I was reading the PersonalTECH section of the Atlanta Journal and happened across a website. This website has free utilities that will test your connection. It basically hits every port on your machine in an attempt to verify your exposure.

    Believe it or not, I was completely secure. Here are some links that might be of interest.

    GRC LeakTest (This download is a utility to test for hidden programs that send OUTBOUND information)

    GRC ShieldsUP (Online test for your Firewall and also a Port Test)

    Symantec SecurityCheck (Symantecs Tool for testing FireWalls)

    **Please note, I have never used the Symantec utility, so I have no idea if it requires a download or software installation.**
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    I used to love RealJukebox, then with WMP 8 came with XP I never found a need for Real. I got DVD playback free because I already owned WinDVD. I personally perfer Windows Media Format over MP3, so MP3 ripping isn't a problem, besides you can activate it by editing the registry. I got the Bonus Pack for XP which I love. I converted my collection of <20 MP3s to WMA format, and the Winamp skin importer is pretty cool. Bonus pack also has a tray icon to control WMP. Real stinks.
    I, for one, use MusicMatch Jukebox for MP3 ripping and playing CD's, etc. Much nicer than RealWhatver.

    Dana
  16. #16  
    I use both WMP and Musicmatch, but both have little problems that erk me.

    Once I use WMP and its Visualization the screen saver doesn't kick in anymore. This happens on all my pc that run 98 or xp but not 2000.

    For musicmatch, it doesn't go back to the top of the list once it has finished the play list causing you to have to do it manually.

    I did say they were little problems. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    For musicmatch, it doesn't go back to the top of the list once it has finished the play list causing you to have to do it manually.

    I did say they were little problems. :-)
    Yeah, that Musicmatch problem is a bit erksome. Have you told them over at MusicMatch that it bothers you?

    Dana (who needs to do that too)
  18. #18  
    yeah, I let them know. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.

Posting Permissions