Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    While this may be erroneous, i recently was told that microsoft is/was currently doing a year "trial" of 7 for free for Vista owners and that you could buy it after the year. BUT he found a way to bypass it and make it permanent...now i am sure there's hacked versions but either way, any ideas/recommendations on how/where to get it free? i hate vista with a passion. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luna8tic View Post
    While this may be erroneous, i recently was told that microsoft is/was currently doing a year "trial" of 7 for free for Vista owners and that you could buy it after the year. BUT he found a way to bypass it and make it permanent...now i am sure there's hacked versions but either way, any ideas/recommendations on how/where to get it free? i hate vista with a passion. Thanks

With Windows 7 and Vista, if you install them without a serial number, then they deactivate after 30 days. You can rearm this timer up to 3 times for a total of 120 days.

Anything more than that is not legal.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I'm currently using the W7 RC on my Alienware M17 notebook but I plan on paying for the Serial number once the RC expires. I'm happy with it and I think it's actually worth the money. Now OS X Snow Leopard was the best $30 I've ever spent on an OS but still...
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I am getting a free copy of Windows 7. It's an accommodation for Best Buy employees (I'm sure some other places are doing it too). If we take certain courses on Microsoft ExpertZone, we were able to get a free copy, only had to pay 10 dollars for shipping/taxes. We will also be getting it early October, BEFORE the official release . It's actually one of the cooler accommodations we have had. Only the first 25,000 Best Buy employees to do it can/could get it though. I did mine at midnight (actually 2am for me, since I'm in Central time, Microsoft is in Cali)
    You can download a 90 day trial:
    Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day Trial
    other than a trial version, i know/have heard nothing of this. i am currently running windows 7 and for a release candidate it certainly is running very nicely, and would be worth purchasing.
    The only "free" version I'm aware of is this: If you buy a new computer with Vista, most manufacturers are including a coupon you can use for a free upgrade to Win 7 when it's available. I've got the RC on one PC, and it's definetly superior to Vista. Is it superior to XP? In some ways, but it's still slower in most respects.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Windows 7 is only 30USD (other countries will have the deal it just wasn't priced yet) for active students with a valid university email. I'm going this route when it comes out.

But yea, RC has a long time till it expires.

If you are an engineering student at any university it is free and can already be downloaded.

If you look around there a quite a few ways to get Windows 7 pretty cheap.
    Free, or student priced?

I'm an engineer (recently graduated) and I haven't heard of this, nor were XP or Vista every offered to me for free.