Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Not about the software. It's the best OS out there.

    But about upgrading. When will Microsoft stop selling upgrade vs full install methods?

    I don't want my old OS on there as it gets upgraded. I prefer a clean install. Yet if you have Vista, you can't do a clean install on those "upgrading to windows 7 for free" computer purchases made right now or the windows they pre-sold for 50 a piece. Or the 3 license family pak you can get.

    But you can do a clean install if you have XP only because win 7 can't install over XP.

    I'm guessing i'm going to have to put XP on machines that i want to clean install win 7 on.
  2. #2  
    Wouldn't it be quicker to just boot to an XP setup disk (or some other bootable media with partition utilities) and delete the existing partitions rather than going through an XP install?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  3. #3  
    No big deal for those wanting to upgrade... it leaves nothing much behind... not like the old days when you had tons of crap left and your OS was a mess.

    Although, upgrades are a bit aggravating if you reinstall your OS a lot. From what I understand, you must install and activate the OS you want to upgrade. That makes sense... it is an upgrade. Majority of people install and that is it... if you don't know what you are doing, then you would have a system from dell... reinstall would mean performing the restore (from hard drive or restore disk).

    If you reinstall your OS a lot, you would not be messing around with an upgrade version and would purchase an OEM version.

    Hobbyists need the OEM version.... no biggie...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  4. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    #4  
    I originally had this same complaint but I have to say that apart from taking forever to install the upgrade went off without a hitch. Can't even tell that Vista once lived on this thing.
  5. #5  
    If it does a full install over xp then it has to be a full version, Doesn't it.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    If it does a full install over xp then it has to be a full version, Doesn't it.
    The upgrade for windows 7 is a full version... it does not have pieces removed in order to perform the upgrade. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    I originally had this same complaint but I have to say that apart from taking forever to install the upgrade went off without a hitch. Can't even tell that Vista once lived on this thing.
    I said nothing much left behind to cover myself... I cannot remember (read the answer someplace a while ago) if win7 put the old winxp/vista directory in an "old" directory or if you could perform a format once win7 determined you were eligible for the upgrade (might have the option to do either or).

    Did you performed a format and then install?

    There are very few times I can remember performing an upgrade...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    The upgrade for windows 7 is a full version... it does not have pieces removed in order to perform the upgrade. lol
    Then there is obviously a way to format and install clean in vista was my point. The op stated he wanted a clean install w/ vista, if it will perform a clean install in a xp environment then it will in vista as well, You should be able to tell it to format then install.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Then there is obviously a way to format and install clean in vista was my point. The op stated he wanted a clean install w/ vista, if it will perform a clean install in a xp environment then it will in vista as well, You should be able to tell it to format then install.
    I think the op is asking about the fact you have to install another OS first (which takes 20 to 45 minutes -- depending on your system), and then install the win7 upgrade (assuming new hard drive).

    You are talking maybe 3 hours (at worst) installing an upgrade. You have not even started installing the other products.

    OP could also be worried that his system will respond like the upgrade from win98 to xp... that was a disaster. It won't, but some people still have that fear... they were traumatized that much by the win98 to xp upgrade. Really. It was sad... several million people had to seek counseling.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  10. #10  
    Boot to the disc instead of booting then trying to install. Also from what I understand the OS is actually separated from the rest of the system...somehow.

    Also for those who install regularly, create a data partition so all your data and exe files are saved for your next iteration of windows. Also throw drivers on there and you should be good to go.

    Also win 7 is SO MUCH better than vista. But I still prefer ubuntu since I have kids and it has better lockdown controls.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I think the op is asking about the fact you have to install another OS first (which takes 20 to 45 minutes -- depending on your system), and then install the win7 upgrade. You are talking maybe 3 hours (at worst) installing an upgrade.

    OP could also be worried that his system will respond like the upgrade from win98 to xp... that was a disaster. It won't, but some people still have that fear... they were traumatized that much by the win98 to xp upgrade. Really. It was sad... several million people had to seek counseling.

    Thats not how I read it!
    Maybe the op could come back and explain his question a little better, I read it to mean that he wanted a clean install in vista ans thought he would have to install xp before he could do a clean install.

    I believe if you can do a clean install on xp then the same should go for vista. Just format and install.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not about the software. It's the best OS out there.

    But about upgrading. When will Microsoft stop selling upgrade vs full install methods?

    I don't want my old OS on there as it gets upgraded. I prefer a clean install. Yet if you have Vista, you can't do a clean install on those "upgrading to windows 7 for free" computer purchases made right now or the windows they pre-sold for 50 a piece. Or the 3 license family pak you can get.

    But you can do a clean install if you have XP only because win 7 can't install over XP.

    I'm guessing i'm going to have to put XP on machines that i want to clean install win 7 on.
  12. #12  
    Because the OS is so similar I doubt it's going to be an issue for many to upgrade from Vista.

    What about those like myself who are beta testing RC1? I'd love to just upgrade, but I'll have to start from scratch again.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I believe if you can do a clean install on xp then the same should go for vista. Just format and install.
    That is what I said earlier...

    The issue some people seem to have is this...

    1) computer hard drive fails
    2) they purchase a new drive (computer out of warranty)
    3) they have a windows xp disk and windows 7 upgrade disk

    Instead of installing windows 7 upgrade cleanly, they must

    1) install windows xp
    2) activate windows xp
    3) then install windows 7

    Instead of the old way of

    1) Starting to install windows 7
    2) place your widows xp disk in the cd-rom drive when windows 7 ask for proof of upgrade.

    That is the way I understand it....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    That is what I said earlier...

    The issue some people seem to have is this...

    1) computer hard drive fails
    2) they purchase a new drive (computer out of warranty)
    3) they have a windows xp disk and windows 7 upgrade disk

    Instead of installing windows 7 upgrade cleanly, they must

    1) install windows xp
    2) activate windows xp
    3) then install windows 7

    Instead of the old way of

    1) Starting to install windows 7
    2) place your widows xp disk in the cd-rom drive when windows 7 ask for proof of upgrade.

    That is the way I understand it....
    Damn man, maybe I'm retarted.... who said anything about a failing hard drive or an out of warranty computer? The op said he had vista and didnt want to go back to xp to install clean, I stated he shouldn't have to. Because there are not 2 diff installs as of now. He should be able to install clean even though he has vista.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Damn man, maybe I'm retarted....
    Maybe... dunno. Never know when someone may act a bit tart. It is elusive. I'm scared.

    All jokes aside, this should be a bit clearer on the matter.

    If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).

    If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.


    http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...k-exactly.aspx
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16. #16  
    Darreno1,

    You will not be able to upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM. Upgrade installs for Windows 7 will only be valid on previously purchased retail copies of Windows XP and Windows Vista.

    For further assitance regarding Windows 7, Microsoft does have an official Windows 7 Support Forum located here socialdottechnetdotmicrosoftdotcom/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro/ (Replace the "dot" with a period "."). It is supported by product specialists as well as engineers and support teams.

    Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not about the software. It's the best OS out there.

    But about upgrading. When will Microsoft stop selling upgrade vs full install methods?

    I don't want my old OS on there as it gets upgraded. I prefer a clean install. Yet if you have Vista, you can't do a clean install on those "upgrading to windows 7 for free" computer purchases made right now or the windows they pre-sold for 50 a piece. Or the 3 license family pak you can get.

    But you can do a clean install if you have XP only because win 7 can't install over XP.

    I'm guessing i'm going to have to put XP on machines that i want to clean install win 7 on.
    Did a little digging. I don't do much on the client OS side these days. According to the information I have been able to find, you should be able to go from Vista to 7 in a clean manner by doing a Custom Install. It will validate the upgrade seeing the existing activated install, and then give you the option of wiping everything. Haven't verified it directly but that's what I was able to find so far.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

Posting Permissions