Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im tryna figure out whats the purpose of haveing a google voice number.
    I dont have a landline all i have is the palm pre. So would it be necessary for me to get a Google Voice number?

someone lemme know
    Google Voice is like your own persoanl virtual receptionist.
    Even with a single number, Google Voice can still be an assett. You can use it for call screening. New callers will receive a prompt to state their name, and you then get a call asking if you want to take the call. You can then program their number to automatically go through to your cell # (or not).

They can also leave voice mail on the server that is auto-transcribed.
    Have you read here:

Google Voice

That details alot of the features
  5.    #5  
    Thanx everyone for ur replys...just wanted peoples opinions instead of Googles marketing pitch...anymore?

and sorry for the topic typo! opps
  6.    #6  
    ok i sent my request for a google number, how long is the wait?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I've been waiting a week.
    Sometimes the wait is a few days, sometimes its a few weeks.
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    If you want a "business" number that's different from your personal number, GV is a good service. I use it to give to students, so they don't have my home number, and so I don't have to be tied to my office landline. I can send GV right to voicemail when I'm not available to students, so I don't have to worry about being woken up at 2am (yes, that DID happen once).

I used to use K7.net for this, but they only provide Seattle area codes, and I live in Arizona, so students always wondered why they had to call Seattle to reach me.
    Last edited by suzi; 09/11/2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added information
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    the main purpose for a Sprint user? so that you can add it to pick 3/5 and make free calls from your cellphone
    Any buffer you can have between people you dont really know or want to know well is good. I use my GV number for such occasions...I give it to my employers and creditors.
    Thanks to the OP for asking this question. I too have only my pre -- no landline, and I do have a google voice number (I love google, if they build it I want it) but I've never used it. I wish I'd had the number when my cell number was 'new' so I could give it to creditors and other such folks. But alas, they all have this number so I really don't have any way of using gvoice for them. So I'm not using the number at all -- but if I ever figure out a use for it, I'm right there!
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    I only have the pre and I use google voice. I use my google voice number for anything online related that requires a phone number and for craigslist stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    I wish I'd had the number when my cell number was 'new' so I could give it to creditors and other such folks. But alas, they all have this number so I really don't have any way of using gvoice for them. So I'm not using the number at all -- but if I ever figure out a use for it, I'm right there!
    Google keeps saying that number portability is coming. I'm waiting on that. I don't give the number out at all yet. When they have number portability, I'm going to swap my cell number for my GVoice number, and start filtering away.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I have 3 cell phones and 1 land line (two personal, one 'work', and home)

GV rings *all* my phones (which is configurable to ring only one or two or three based on time of day) so you can control who reaches you.

It can screen calls ("Please say your name after the beep and we'll try to connect you to the person you are calling")

Also provides text-based voice mail (great for people who can't call voice mail at work, but can check texts.. or for people with friends who leave 6 minute voice mails)

and for anyone with free incoming, or a "My Favorites" plan, free calling.

Easy access to goog 411

Overall i love Google voice. I don't give out the number much (except to select people whom i want to *always* be able to reach me) but i enjoy it.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    good example of multi-phone usage:

My work phones only ring during the week, from 10am to 10pm. After 10pm, to 10am the next morning, any calls i get are forwarded to voice mail automatically.

However, if a Friend/family calls from a number i have saved in my google contacts list, regardless of time or day, it will forward to all my phones.

So i go to the movies, and i bring only my personal phone. My friends & family (and co-workers, to an extent) can reach me from that number, but customers can not.

I work retail, so i don't try to *avoid* my customers, but I do use this to 'enforce' customers respecting my nights and still allowing me to answer their calls if i want to (as their voice mails get forwarded as text and e-mails to my phone)
    this is number i now give to girls at the bar... this way they don't have my legit cell phone number.
    Man for me it was choosing your number. I wanted something cool and got it and best of all it showing I'm living good in Los Angeles CA. Actually what I really like is that even if you change your phone, your google voice will always remain the same. Keep your call log, your SMS history, block any annoying phone calls, transcribe your voice mail and get it through email/SMS. It's just a great system.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Just tried to get a Google number or at least get on the waiting list. It said "Google Voice is currently available for GrandCentral users only, but will open to new users soon."

Did those of you that currently have it (Pre owners) get it hooked up get it early and what's a GrandCentral user exactly??
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    this is number i now give to girls at the bar... this way they don't have my legit cell phone number.
    lol...that funny...

What I like most about google voice is:
    • ability to have more than one number on your cellphone
    • ability to make international calls using google voice
    • using google voice + pick3/5 to get around AT min restrictions
    • being able to actually READ transcribed voicemail
    • being able to record calls

The more I use google voice the better I like it!! The only thing I wish they would improve are their international call rates. Also I wish there was a way to forward calls via VoIP client via wifi instead of actual phone number. I know thats totally against the whole concept of having google voice, but it would make easier to get rid of using SkyeIn for example on wifi calls...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast