Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHillpg View Post
    Thanx everyone for ur replys...just wanted peoples opinions instead of Googles marketing pitch...anymore?

and sorry for the topic typo! opps
    First "proposes" and now "opps?" LOL

It's 7am and you've made my day.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    and you can send text messages to and from this google voice number?
    I purchased a Google Voice invite on ebay for $0.99. It worked, got the email, set up my account and chose my phone #.
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    What's the catch? How does Google profit from this?
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca View Post
    Very perceptive; you know nothing like this is ever really free. Some of what I've read says that things like transcribed voicemails can be culled for keywords so they can target ads to you better in some of their other services.
    google voice rocks !
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca View Post
    Google's ad targeting is extremely aggressive and google voice is an extension of their offerings. You sacrifice your privacy for features so they can deliver targeted ads to you based on your voicemail messages, for instance.

I dropped 10$ in my google voice account and use gDial to contact friends abroad, at 2cents a minute it's a bargain!
    Also, I set my google # to ring my office during the day and my cellphone at all other times.
    If any any time I have to give up my cellphone service, I'll likely port my number into google so that I don't ever lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by winb83 View Post
    the main purpose for a Sprint user? so that you can add it to pick 3/5 and make free calls from your cellphone
    What is this pick 3 or 5 that I keep hearing about? I called Sprint Customer service and asked them about it and they basically told me that it doesn't exist on any of their plans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovehog View Post
    What is this pick 3 or 5 that I keep hearing about? I called Sprint Customer service and asked them about it and they basically told me that it doesn't exist on any of their plans?
    Contact retentions. An active number is floating around the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Just tried to get a Google number or at least get on the waiting list. It said "Google Voice is currently available for GrandCentral users only, but will open to new users soon."

Did those of you that currently have it (Pre owners) get it hooked up get it early and what's a GrandCentral user exactly??
    I was with GrandCentral. Google bought them out a while ago. (I think June or July of 2007). Grand Central seemed to progress faster but as of late google seems to be more focused on the service. It is a great service and better yet it's free! Good luck! hope you get an account soon..
    thats number you be givin out to your hood rats!
    waiting for my number now too
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have an old grandcentral number that I converted to google voice in May. Am I able to use WIFI to make calls?

Lets say I am at an airport abroad and would like to call home or another country. Can I use the Pre's WiFi to make calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by winb83 View Post
    the main purpose for a Sprint user? so that you can add it to pick 3/5 and make free calls from your cellphone
    That is cool. How does that work? Will this still work with the new Sprint Any Mobile Anytime?

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Google keeps saying that number portability is coming. I'm waiting on that. I don't give the number out at all yet. When they have number portability, I'm going to swap my cell number for my GVoice number, and start filtering away.
    So, you'll port your Sprint number to Google Voice? That would interest me. Then I wouldn't have to tell everyone that has my cell number that it has been changed.
    Last edited by caseyatbt; 09/12/2009 at 09:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Any buffer you can have between people you dont really know or want to know well is good. I use my GV number for such occasions...I give it to my employers and creditors.
    You must have some interesting employers.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    That is cool. How does that work? Will this still work with the new Sprint Any Mobile Anytime?

So, you'll port your Sprint number to Google Voice? That would interest me. Then I wouldn't have to tell everyone that has my cell number that it has been changed.
    Pick 3/5 is a list of numbers you can call for free.
    I have Vonage which already gives me the ability to have multiple virtual phone numbers (including 1-800 and international numbers) ring on the same line. It also allows me to have calls from any of these numbers ring on any number of other phones in addition to the main line. It includes unlimited international calls to most countries (except mobile phones in most cases) and transcribes voicemails to text.

I am not seeing the need for GV.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I have Vonage which already gives me the ability to have multiple virtual phone numbers (including 1-800 and international numbers) ring on the same line. It also allows me to have calls from any of these numbers ring on any number of other phones in addition to the main line. It includes unlimited international calls to most countries (except mobile phones in most cases) and transcribes voicemails to text.

I am not seeing the need for GV.
    You pay for Vonage.
    You don't pay for Google Voice.

Also, can they text you at your Vonage number? If so, how do you reply?

If you are walking around with just a cell phone, can you place phone calls FROM your Vonage number?
    Quote Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
    You pay for Vonage.
    You don't pay for Google Voice.

Also, can they text you at your Vonage number? If so, how do you reply?

If you are walking around with just a cell phone, can you place phone calls FROM your Vonage number?
    You do pay if you call internationally I think.

No, you can't text (not something I do much though). Its possible to call from a cell phone via your vonage number but its a bit clumsy. I wouldn't bother unless I wanted to make a very long international call.
    I've tried to apply 2 times now and unless the email confirmation is ending up in my junk mail they still haven't gotten back to me.

Any other ways of getting hooked up?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast