1.    #1  
    My wife has been wanting an iBook. The problem is, she wants an older model, one of the ones that is BlueBerry or Tangerine.

Unfortunately, her only concern is what it looks like. She cares nothing for the fact that it is a Macintosh, only that it is BlueBerry or Tangerine.

I have found several of them available on Ebay, but would prefer to buy one new. Does anyone know of any place that might still have a new one? I know they have been off the market for a while, but I thought I would ask.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    her only concern is what it looks like
    I feel your pain, brother...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    From what I've read, it's getting hard to find replacement batteries for those. They weren't that great of a laptop. I'd really push her towards a newer iBook. Throw in a can of $3 spray paint and she can have any color she wants.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by homer
    From what I've read, it's getting hard to find replacement batteries for those. They weren't that great of a laptop. I'd really push her towards a newer iBook. Throw in a can of $3 spray paint and she can have any color she wants.
    That is just the problem, she really only cares about the outside. If someone would take a new iBook and make the casing some crazy color, she would be first in line.

Of course, since they are not available, I do not have to buy one. If she cannot get the color she wants, she wants nothing.

Works for me...
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    If someone would take a new iBook and make the casing some crazy color, she would be first in line.
    Like I said, $3 will get you a can of spray paint.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by GSR13
    That is just the problem, she really only cares about the outside. If someone would take a new iBook and make the casing some crazy color, she would be first in line.
    Actually, Apple has this trick up its sleeve. I'm betting that, by next July, they will intro an assortment of color and pattern variations. I just hope they don't bring back Blue Dalmation or Flower Power...yuck!
    Originally posted by homer

Like I said, $3 will get you a can of spray paint.
    Hmm, they used to have this transparent, colored liquid that you could paint onto glass to create "stained" glass. Might be interesting to take a modern iBook apart and stain the inside of the polycarbonate with it, though I'm not quite sure what that would do to your warantee.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Since the first iBooks were discontinued in 1999, I doubt you'll be able to find one new anywhere. Opening the case will void your warranty, plus the top cover is tricky to remove.

The new iBooks are blazing fast and really cool. I just bought one for my daughter (who is college bound...) and fell in love with it myself. I'm thinking of chucking my PowerBook G3 and upgrading to the iBook. You may want to take her to the nearest computer store (that carries Macs) and have her try one out.

Or she can wait until they release the next generation... It seems that releasing new colors is the hot thing nowadays. I'll second the vote against bringing out a "Dalmation" iBook, but I think "Flower Power" would be kind of cool...
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    ...but I think "Flower Power" would be kind of cool...
    HA!!!!!!!!!!
    I am not alone!

I have been saving up for an ibook, but, with combo drives (finally!) in the powerbooks, I will save longer.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Somewhere on the web I saw where someone had removed the whit translucence from the new iBook and made it completely clear. Perhaps you could do something similar for your wife.

Alternatively, you could talk her into a new iBook and buy her a tangerine sleeve to carry it around in.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I've owned two blueberry iBooks. I've never had a moment's trouble with either one (the batteries have worked seamlessly). I still have one of them and would rescue it from a burning building. Although the chance of finding an unused one is slim to none, there are killer deals still available on refurbs. With such a deal plus some additional ram you can make your wife verrrrrry happy...http://www.smalldog.com/?wag=5501990
    When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
    Was just at an Apple Store. They have really neat blue and white bags that doesn't show the white until you cinch the string about the opening. And they're really heavy duty.

Maybe you could buy a white iBook and tell her to stick it into the really nice blue and white bag to carry it around (especially since the new iBooks lack carrying handles).
    As much as I like my Blueberry iBook, it's been surpassed by the new iBooks. Although still g3s, the abilities of the iceBooks outperform the older versions. Particularly in the area of portability, they are much lighter. Plus the ability to burn cds, or watch dvd is a significant advantage. If anyone has to lug around a briefcase or a sample case or camera equipment etc., etc., saving more than a pound of weight is meaningful. The newest iceBook also has a 14" screen which makes it quite impressive and gives a lot of bang for the buck.

As for me, I'm content, for now, w/the Blueberry iBook...while I await the arrival of my new iMac!!!!!
    Last edited by Potus; 01/12/2002 at 11:59 AM.
    When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left, I buy food and clothes.