Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    meh.... there's corruption on both sides of the fence. Maybe not as organized as ACORN, but be certain that that axe swings both ways and we need to be watchful for any corruption and misuse of our tax dollars.
    On a moral playing field, are 527s exempt from the same standard of fairness, though no direct tax dollars are involved?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    On a moral playing field, are 527s exempt from the same standard of fairness, though no direct tax dollars are involved?
    I think that the moral and fairness question has more to do with their tactics. They can exist morally and lawfully. ACORN uses our tax dollars. If that's the case, I wouldn't want them influencing elections towards the left, any more than you'd want them influencing towards the right.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I wouldn't want them influencing elections towards the left, any more than you'd want them influencing towards the right.
    That is to state that you do not morally approve of any tax dollar recipient org to attempt to influence elections, period. Correct?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    That is to state that you do not morally approve of any tax dollar recipient org to attempt to influence elections, period. Correct?
    You like that word, morally. Didn't I just say that? I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    You like that word, morally. Didn't I just say that? I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
    There is quite a difference between "I wouldn't want them influencing elections towards the left, any more than you'd want them influencing towards the right" and a universal statement, such as "I do not approve of any tax dollar recipient org to attempt to influence elections, period".

The distinction is obvious.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    meh.... there's corruption on both sides of the fence. Maybe not as organized as ACORN, but be certain that that axe swings both ways and we need to be watchful for any corruption and misuse of our tax dollars.
    And I think we should out them all. If it has to begin with ACORN, so be it.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    There is quite a difference between "I wouldn't want them influencing elections towards the left, any more than you'd want them influencing towards the right" and a universal statement, such as "I do not approve of any tax dollar recipient org to attempt to influence elections, period".

The distinction is obvious.
    If you say so.
    Although I am not surprised at the actions of this corrupt liberal organization, I often think what would happen if a hidden camera was snuck into the Federal Reserve or the World Bank and caught them with their corruption.

Wait, the videographer would be taking a dirt nap... nevermind.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Although I am not surprised at the actions of this corrupt liberal organization, I often think what would happen if a hidden camera was snuck into the Federal Reserve or the World Bank and caught them with their corruption.

Wait, the videographer would be taking a dirt nap... nevermind.
    Quicker than a New York minute, IMO.
  10. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Quicker than a New York minute, IMO.
    In all seriousness--I'd be pretty concerned if I were that film maker. He brought very unwelcome exposure onto this organization--or at least a segment of it. They've got very powerful friends.

KAM
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    In all seriousness--I'd be pretty concerned if I were that film maker. He brought very unwelcome exposure onto this organization--or at least a segment of it. They've got very powerful friends.

KAM
    Nah, we know what will happen to him. The Republican establishment will embrace him; he'll become enamored with the limelight and new found esteem; he'll change his views to mold accordingly into the establishment framework; and then he'll either be a good party-line politician or a talking head.

Sad to say but I think politics and prison are not dissimilar: if you don't pick sides you'll be eaten alive.
    Nah, we know what will happen to him. The Republican establishment will embrace him; he'll become enamored with the limelight and new found esteem; he'll change his views to mold accordingly into the establishment framework; and then he'll either be a good party-line politician or a talking head.

Sad to say but I think politics and prison are not dissimilar: if you don't pick sides you'll be eaten alive.
    Exactly right Groovy! That's why I expect my door to be broken down any second now and to be shipped off to a foreign prison camp and have my pictures taken in the nude and posed in all kinds of positions!! LMAO
  13. KAM1138

Well, I suppose that is possible. I would agree with your last statement--it is all arranged so that you are starved out otherwise.

It's sad that we are dependent on film makers to call attention to this sort of thing. It seems that the mainstream media is happily ignorant of such things.

I wonder if there is a tipping point that we are near, when the public in general is fed up with the mainstream media--when they say "enough it enough" and they have to start reporting again, rather than repeating talking points of their favorite politicians.

KAM
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
  15. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by brain26 View Post
    We'll see how this all plays out in the coming months.

Something interesting to think about--this is coming on the heels of two individuals exposing this. This organization has been doing what they do (who knows what all that entails) and apparently the government and mainstream media had a distinct lack of interest until these amateurs made it too difficult to ignore.

The real story here, as I see it is the failure of the government to screen organizations they give our money to, and the media's role as watchdogs. How exactly are huge media organizations with resources that dwarf that of two amateurs (presumably) scooped so thoroughly.

It should raise very significant questions about the media's role in our society.

KAM
    Betcha everyone here heard that Maryland is not prosecuting ACORN, they are going the man and woman that exposed them in the videos. Crooked? Yep. As for not using ACORN, there is probably something in the background on this. What needs to be done is to get rid of the corruption and let the system take care of itself.

The media as a watchdog - 2008 saw the end of that with the major broadcasters. MSNBCrude is in bed with them. CNN is borderline.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brain26 View Post
    While denying some funds is helpful, what's needed is a full scale investigation into ACORN and it's sibling entity, SEIU.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    While denying some funds is helpful, what's needed is a full scale investigation into ACORN and it's sibling entity, SEIU.
    Come on, you don't think exotic dancers need union representation too?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

a 4th video has surfaced and this one is from California. I had a feeling that more would come because "prostitute" said that she drained her savings from the film. Girl, you are about to get a nice reporting job somewhere for the work you 2 did.

HAHA **** you Acorn!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The media as a watchdog - 2008 saw the end of that with the major broadcasters. MSNBCrude is in bed with them. CNN is borderline.
    I heard an audio clip of ABC's Charlie Gibson being asked about the ACORN videos and their impact. Gibson claimed he wasn't aware of the videos.