1.    #1  
    My brother has a 17" monitor sitting right next to his 32" TV. He uses his computer 90% of the time for web surfing. If he bought a $100 USB TV-out gizmo, would that provide adaquate resolution that he could get rid of his monitor entirely? Its a small apartment and he could use the space. I got him a cordless mouse and keyboard for Christmas, which would enhance his couch navigation skills.

What does one lose by using a TV instead of a monitor?
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    What does one lose by using a TV instead of a monitor?
    Image quality, mostly. A TV isn't designed for the sort of resolutions a computer monitor can provide. Text and images may be fuzzy.
    On the other hand with a bigger screen he could get further away from it -- essentially negating any effect of fuzziness.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  3.    #3  
    My point exactly. If he is sitting on his couch eight feet away it might be just fine. My only question is if the text size (12pt.) would be too small to comfortably read from eight feet away.
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    My only question is if the text size (12pt.) would be too small to comfortably read from eight feet away.
    If he's running Windows, he can always setup a custom Appearance Scheme with larger type, etc, for use in TV-mode.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Although products do exist to do this type of setup (you mentioned one), I would highly reccomend that he does NOT do this. I have lots of experience with these types of setups, and they simply do not work. No matter how high quality of a TV you have, it cannot compare to the resolution provided by a cheap computer monitor.

BEN
    Originally posted by BEN
    No matter how high quality of a TV you have, it cannot compare to the resolution provided by a cheap computer monitor.
    But if he doesn't care about the quality, that's not really an issue. Just have to fiddle with it to be able to read the text.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.