1.    #1  
    I'm hoping someone out there can help me - god knows MS probably won't. I'm running MS Outlook 2000 SR-1 as my main email and PIM program on my home desktop. I use it to access my primary personal email account (AT&T Broadband, formerly @Home - a whole other problem), and it's the program I synch my Visor with at home.

Anyway, it's gone all screwy on me. First off, it won't synch with my Visor - I get a series of error messages that

"The Messaging Interface has Returned an Unknown Error. If the problem persists please restart Outlook."

Of course when I restarted the program it didn't fix the problem - otherwise I wouldn't be bothering you folks. I tried rebooting the whole system too, no joy.

Now, when I try and delete things in the program I get the exact same error message - I can't delete emails, appointments, notes, etc.

I can't find any reference to this problem on MS's website. When I bit the bullet and called tech support I was on hold for 30 minutes, and then they hung up.

Any suggestions/wisdom?
    Try the Detect and Repair... option on the Help menu.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    I did - also no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    In all liklihood you have a virus of some sort. You need to cleanse your system, uninstall Office 2000, completely rid the Windows registry of all Office 2000 residue, and do a complete reinstall of Office 2000.

Finding and innoculating the virus will prevent it from spreading, but it can't repair the damage already done. Frankly, when I take a virus hit of this magnitude I strongly consider wiping my hard drive and doing a clean re-build of the system. You may be able to patch Outlook back together so it synchs again, but there could be additional damage to the registry file that will jump up and bite you at a later time (something to the extent of "gee, why won't Powerpoint allow me to save this file I have been working on over the past two hours?").

To completely uninstall Office 2000 check out the handy program offered by Microsoft available through this service page.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q238413

Good luck.
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 12/12/2001 at 12:34 PM.
  5.    #5  
    That's what I'm afraid of - although I have up-to-date firewall and anti-virus software, so I'm not sure how I would have got one on my system. Thanks for the advice - wish it was better news.
    Assuming you are running Chapura as the conduit manager double check a couple of things:

Is there a folder entititled Pocket Mirror? of the directory tree inside of Outlook. If not reinstall the Palm software and be certain it shows up after the reinstall. It should have your name on it.

Secondly: if you are running Win Fax Pro from Symantec - closed all folders that are related to the Win Fax program from within Outlook and reboot your computer.

I've seen conflicts created with both of these items and MS even discusses the Win Fax Pro item in their database (vast) of issues where certain programs won't work.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, PocketMirror is there. I'm not running WinFax Pro on this machine. Thanks for the suggestions though. It's times like this that I really love VC.
    Something similar used to happen to me - before I started using Outlook 2000 for my PIM. I disconnected my then serial cable connecting my PDA and "blew" into it to rid it of dust. I did this only after I tried everything else. Who knew that THAT would work?
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
  9.    #9  
    Well, I finally fixed it, I think. First I updated my virus signature files and scanned my whole system - no hits. I then uninstalled and then reinstalled the program - when I started it up, I still had all my data, and surprisingly still had the same problem.

I then, randomly, emptied my deleted items folder and that solved the problem. I could then delete new items from my inbox.

I really don't know why that would make a difference. The deleted items folder really didn't have that much junk in it, no where near what piles up in my Outlook at work (with no ill effect).
    Glad you solved your problem. I was going to recommend that you do yourself a favor and dump Outlook altogether. It's crap!!!
    Foo, what do you recommend using in Outlooks place?

Erik
    Originally posted by PlantATree
    Foo, what do you recommend using in Outlooks place?

Erik
    Well, that's the sad part. There really are no choices left anymore thanks to Microsoft's victory in the Office Suite wars. Does anyone remember those days when names like Lotus and Corel actually meant something? Lotus offered what was once my favorite PIM (Organizer), but it went the way of Netscape. At the moment I use Palm Desktop 4, but it pales in comparison to the more advanced features of Outlook. On the other hand, Outlook is a bloated cludgy mess. It desperately needs a UI overhaul. This combined with the fact that it's a target for virus creators, keeps me stay far away.
    I agree Outlook is a mess, but Palm Desktop just doesn't have enough to offer. I was really hoping you had an alternative that worked. Bummer. I really just like the advanced address book features.
  14.    #14  
    I'd dump Outlook, but I like having my PIM integrated with my email client.
    Originally posted by foo fighter

... There really are no choices left anymore thanks to Microsoft's victory in the Office Suite wars. ... Lotus offered what was once my favorite PIM (Organizer), but it went the way of Netscape.
    Whaddya mean? Has Lotus dumped it? I use Organizer.
    Originally posted by jazzlover

Whaddya mean? Has Lotus dumped it? I use Organizer.
    Lotus doesn't exist anymore. They have been swallowed by IBM. Organizer, as well as the entire collection of apps in SmartSuite, have withered on the vine for some time now. There hasn't been a significant overhaul to the aging office suite for 3 years. The Office Suite market is all but owned by Microsoft now. Corel still hobbles along, but Lotus is no more.
    Originally posted by foo fighter

Lotus doesn't exist anymore. They have been swallowed by IBM. Organizer, as well as the entire collection of apps in SmartSuite, have withered on the vine for some time now.
    Man, does that suck. I had read some rumours at an Organizer user site that Lotus might have dumped the product, but was hoping it was just that, rumours.
    I too would love to hear about another decent desktop PIM (read: non-M$) with a palm conduit.