Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    It was 40 years ago today that two computers at UCLA were first able to send messages back and forth through a 15 foot cable. What a long way we have come.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtlsnke View Post
    It was 40 years ago today that two computers at UCLA were first able to send messages back and forth through a 15 foot cable. What a long way we have come.
    I KNOW that, and when I teach internet/web classes, thats ONE of my opening lines, that the internet and ME have the same bday, but IM OLDER!

On Sept 2, 1969 about 20 people got together in Leonard Kleinrock's lab at the University of California, Los Angeles, to watch as two computers chatting by sending out meaningless test data through a 15-foot gray cable. That was the beginning of what was then called Arpanet network. The 1970s brought email and the TCP/IP communications protocols, which allowed multiple networks to connect. That then became the Internet.

Happy Birthday Internet, Happy Birthday ME!
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I thought Al Gore invented the internet aprox 8 years ago or so... Did I miss something?
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    I thought Al Gore invented the internet aprox 8 years ago or so... Did I miss something?
    He also discovered global warming...

Good old internet.
    snopes.com: Al Gore Invented the Internet - even Snopes has to clarify for him. Why not just take him at his word?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I read that it was between two computers, one in Stanford Research Institute and the other UCLA. It was called ARPANET and its first public demonstration occurred on October 29, 1969. I suppose there was some testing prior to that which could be counted by some as the birth date.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Hello everybody!

Even I want to share some basic information about Internet.

The Internet was the result of some visionary thinking by people in the early 1960s who saw great potential value in allowing computers to share information on research and development in scientific and military fields. J.C.R. Licklider of MIT, first proposed a global network of computers in 1962, and moved over to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in late 1962 to head the work to develop it. Leonard Kleinrock of MIT and later UCLA developed the theory of packet switching, which was to form the basis of Internet connections.
    The latest trend in communications:

My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    The latest trend in communications
    Are those things 4G?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...