1.    #1  
    I'm just wondering if any of you out there have rushed out to buy Windows XP or Office XP. What do you think of it? Is there anything notably different about the apps. Does Outlook XP offer any decent email filtering utilities to block/delete spam mail? Give us the low-down!
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    I currently have WindowsXP and love it! More stable, lots more features, and some other cool stuff! From what I hear OutlookXP has a special SPAM mail filter.
    PastaGrrrl,

Outlook XP being used for about 6 months and yes the "spam" filters are much better than Outlook 98 assuming that's what you are currently using.

Not much better than Outlook 2000.

Back to XP - need to be careful because besides the spam filter's there are additional security protections as well. XP prevents the user from accessing dangerous file types such as exe, scr, vba, vbs just to name a few so if you are in the habit of getting these file types as a received email be advised that you won't be able to open them.

If your on a network, the LAN administrator can set this security to his own preferences but if your a single user forget it.

There are other advanatages to XP such as better handling and look up of addresses and setup of multiple email accounts.

The rest of the XP package compared to Office 97 - not worth the upgrade in my opinion, especially if you are just using the "basics" within the program. There are more bells and whitsles but awfully expensive.

By the way, I did not have any conduit problems or synching issues with my Palm M505 from day one.

If you want specific's on the rest of XP, let me know what features you currently use and I can tell you of any enhancements but due to the size of Office XP there are too many to list here in the alloted time.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I've got it. Got my new computer finally. It isn't bad, but this blue thing is gonna take some getting used to.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    Back to XP - need to be careful because besides the spam filter's there are additional security protections as well. XP prevents the user from accessing dangerous file types such as exe, scr, vba, vbs just to name a few so if you are in the habit of getting these file types as a received email be advised that you won't be able to open them.

If your on a network, the LAN administrator can set this security to his own preferences but if your a single user forget it.

This isn't quite accurate. If you are a single user, and not attached to an Exchange server (In other words using POP3, IMAP, etc) you can alter this behavior via the registry. Microsoft gives details on how to do this here. This will even work in some cases with an Exchange server. Here at my work, they don't have these policies set, so I can remove the restrictions and have it work with all attachments.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    I've got it. Got my new computer finally. It isn't bad, but this blue thing is gonna take some getting used to.
    Congrats on your new machine.

If you do not care for the GUI, you can turn most of the Junk off and it will go back to looking like WIN9x and 2000.

My Dad just got a new machine with XP installed and it seems to be pretty good. He has some problems with DirectCD and REAL, but I am hoping software updates can resolve this.

As for the GUI on his, the first thing I did was turn it all off and switch back. The last thing he wanted to do was spend the time learning how to manipulate a new UI. While it is not that much different, there just enough little quirks that it would have driven him crazy.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    The Luna interface is really customizable, but you will need a 3rd-party app like StyleBuilder. http://www.tgtsoft.com/product_style_builder.html
    You can check out dozens of "visual styles" at http://www.xpthemes.org/
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Windows XP - I hate the blown-glass, candy apple look of the new GUI, so I switched to the Win 2K style GUI.

Office XP - All of the apps load MUCH faster than Office 2000.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    I have a Gateway with a Celeron 400, a 32MB nVidia TNT graphic card (PCI), and 256MB of PC66 RAM. I was hoping that WindowsXP would bog the damn thing down so much I could justify a new machine. But it absolutely screams. I have a new Dell Dimension at work with a Celeron 1.1 Ghz chip and 256MB of PC100 RAM, and in all honesty I don't notice the performance difference between the two machines. I am sure there is one...but if you aren't a gamer...just using Office apps, Photoshop, etc. then difference in performance seems imperceptible.

If you are currently using Windows ME, run - don't walk- to your nearest bricks & mortar retailer for a copy of Windows XP. I'll let the others pis* and moan about the Microsoft tierany while I wring another 6-12 months out of my trusty old machine.