1.    #1  
    Would it be better to get a tv tuner card that takes up a pci slot in my comptuer with 2mb vram and 192mb ram, or should I go for the slightly less expensive external USB one WRT to smoothness of playback and window size?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    My experience is that pci tv tuner cards tend to be smoother than usb. Playback can rely on its compatibility with your video card so if I were you i'd check around to see how well it works with your video card.

BTW I'm using an ATI TV Wonder. To my knowledge ATI makes the best TV Cards around.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by ashmed
    BTW I'm using an ATI TV Wonder. To my knowledge ATI makes the best TV Cards around.
    I'm partial to the all-in-wonder's myself. Find one that works with a PI 200MMx and a pci slot and I'll be in seventh heaven.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Have you seen the AccessDTV?. It's not an All-In-Wonder, but it does do HDTV and it is PCI. AMDPower has a pretty good review on it, and on recording programs to your hard drive. Good stuff. I tell ya, the first $400 I get.....
    Soul Raven - "Små hjerne, stor glæde"
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Originally posted by Soul Raven
    Have you seen the AccessDTV?. It's not an All-In-Wonder, but it does do HDTV and it is PCI. AMDPower has a pretty good review on it, and on recording programs to your hard drive. Good stuff. I tell ya, the first $400 I get.....
    Yes, it does look good but have you seen
    1. how much it costs? $400 for the adapter and then another $10 per month.
    2. that only some channels are HDTV now and a whole lot more are only going to be HDTV in 2003
    3. that it takes 9GB of disk space to record 1 hour!!

The third point is what says that it won't work for me. I only (?) have 46GB of disk space in my PC. I can't add another hard drive.

Guess I'll have to stay with my old STB TV-PCI card which still manages to work in Win XP even though the only drivers available for it are "beta Win 2000" drivers.
    Originally posted by kalahari
    1. how much it costs? $400 for the adapter and then another $10 per month.
    I am sure that set-top boxes to view HDTV on your regular TV would cost about as much, and a HDTV-ready TV is about $2000+. Where does the $10/month come in?
    2. that only some channels are HDTV now and a whole lot more are only going to be HDTV in 2003
    True, but this card also has a 129 channel analog cable tuner. You are not limited to watching only HDTV programs. D-R was just asking about alternatives to an All-In-Wonder, and was wishing for a PCI card
    3. that it takes 9GB of disk space to record 1 hour!!
    Well, I don't think this could ever compete against a PVR like TiVo or ReplayTV4000 (320 hours! I'm not Hindu, but Holy Cow!). It wouldn't replace even a set-top box on a regular TV. Even a 21" screen is smaller than really cheap TVs. It would make a nice PC tuner card, though. I have Dish Network, and I could just run that into the back of this puppy and be in bid-ness.
    Soul Raven - "Små hjerne, stor glæde"
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    I'm partial to the all-in-wonder's myself. Find one that works with a PI 200MMx and a pci slot and I'll be in seventh heaven.
    I think you might be a few years late. My All-in-Wonder Pro is a PCI card and used to be in a computer with a P200MMX. Now it's in my AMD box.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...