1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm a bit confused about some md things:

1. i have a sony mzr-50 which i have had for years.

2. i recently heard that the new sony md players could play mp3s.

3. i have yet to find the word MP3 mentioned at all in sonystyle.com's md area.

All the sites I look at say things like "download songs from the internet!" but don't mention the unit as playing mp3s, which to me implies that the file is converted when shipped to the player/recorder.

Anyone know whether my mzr-50 or any of the newer sony md players will actually play MP3S? if so, how many mp3s can fit on a regular md and what is the process used to get them there?

Thanks,

mc
    A month or so ago i read about ppl using the MDs to play MPS. It was either Salon or Wired. Sorry I forgot.

If I remember correctly, I think you need some type or add on. I also remember that the transfer is slow. It takes the amount of time for the transfer as the lenth of music you will play. So, 20 minutes of music takes 20 minutes to transfer.

Have you tried:

http://www.minidiscussion.com/boards/mp3/
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    A month or so ago i read about ppl using the MDs to play MPS. It was either Salon or Wired. Sorry I forgot.

If I remember correctly, I think you need some type or add on. I also remember that the transfer is slow. It takes the amount of time for the transfer as the lenth of music you will play. So, 20 minutes of music takes 20 minutes to transfer.

Have you tried:

http://www.minidiscussion.com/boards/mp3/
    Thanks Felipe. that board is a mess. couldn't make head nor tail of it. i'll search wired and salon.

mc
    The way I understand it, the new minidisc players don't actually play MP3's, they include a utility and the PCLink to record MP3s onto a minidisc in ATRAC(3) format. That's why it takes as long to record as it does to play.

The other thing is - the utility isn't very bright. It records every sound made by your PC, including beeps, etc... So you have to be sure that Nothing else is running on your PC when you make the recording.