1.    #1  
    Yesterday I upgraded my new Dell Dimension to Windows XP from Windows ME. It was networked to another ME machine which is not being upgraded right away. Previously I had to manually install the Netbuie driver on both machines in order to network them (why the default network settings didn't work I do not know.).

Now I can't seem to make them talk to one another. I tried using the Networking Wizard, running the setup program on both machines to no avail. I matched up all the clients and protocols between the two machines. Still no luck. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Network services packages on both machines to no avail.

I know that the router (four port 10BaseT) and networking cards work as both machines connect to the internet through the router (and into a cable modem). INternet access is fine, but I can't make the machines see one another.

Tips? These are two new Dell systems, so their cards are standard issue...nothing funky....what am I missing?
    Make sure they are on the same workgroup. I'm sure you did that.

Run the network setup that came with xP. I always had to do this to get the xp PC onto the "network."

Is anything shared on the xp machine? XP doesn't like sharing from the root, but will when you tell it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I had this problem back in the day witha win me and win 98se combo. Win me has a networking issue and you have to make the "special" networking disk from your win me comp and then install it on your non me comp. If this doesn't work, i'm stumpt. Good Luck
    Don't Worry It's Human Nature To Point Out The Obvious
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    Make sure they are on the same workgroup. I'm sure you did that.

Indeed, I did do that.

Run the network setup that came with xP. I always had to do this to get the xp PC onto the "network."

Done. I was optimistic about being able to carry a "special" networking disk to my non-XP machine...didn't make any difference.

Is anything shared on the xp machine? XP doesn't like sharing from the root, but will when you tell it.

XP automatically configures one inaugural "My Shared Files" directory, though I haven't shared anything beyond that. I can't see the ME machine which has numerous shared directories from the XP machine.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by LeaDxPainT
    I had this problem back in the day witha win me and win 98se combo. Win me has a networking issue and you have to make the "special" networking disk from your win me comp and then install it on your non me comp. If this doesn't work, i'm stumpt. Good Luck
    It didn't occur to me to try generating an ME networking disk to use on my new XP set-up. Could be kinda risky, but it may be worth a try.

I've always wondered why people *****ed so much about networking. Prior to this I had always simply plugged in the Ethernet and been on in a snap. Now I know.
    Yeah, after that little shamble with me i jumped right back to 98se, it was just so easy to network comps. Theres also a program where you can setup a proxy and xp can use that proxy to connect both comps together. Forgot the name though, but trying to point you in a direction. Good luck
    Don't Worry It's Human Nature To Point Out The Obvious
  7.    #7  
    Problem solved. I switched from a network hub to a 100Mbps Router and viola, everything worked. And I increased my network throughput by 10x.

The last ***** to patch together a network in my office connected four relatively new 'puters with a 10Mbps Ethernet Hub. No wonder it took 45 minutes to back my machine up to another on the network.

Of course none of this explains why I couldn't network through the existing hub, and now we will never know. Oh well.