1.    #1  
    Read:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200...html?tag=mn_hd

Can't wait to see what Jonathan Ives newest creation will look like!
    Isn't the flat panel iMac called the 'iBook'?

Honestly, what's the point? Unless it is a HUGE screen, give me the iBook.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer

Funny, I was at the Apple Store at MOA last weekend and I asked about this very thing. The guy I talked to didn't know about it though.

Man that store was slick. Very nice merchandising and knowledgeable, friendly employees.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  4.    #4  

True, but the iMac is in desperate need of an overhaul. It's more than 3 years old, and doesn't look quite as compelling as it once did. I'm more worried what the flat panel will do the price structure of the iMac lineup. If it drives prices up, then Apple is in serious trouble because these systems are already too expensive. I would REALLY like to see Apple keep just one of the current CRT based iMacs and market it as an entry level model for the low price of $499. This could go a long way in getting new users to the platform. Hell, I'd even buy one just to play around with a Mac!

Posted by Jupe:

Man that store was slick. Very nice merchandising and knowledgeable, friendly employees.

What the hell were you doing in the Apple Store, Jupe? I thought you were a PC user?

The Ibooks are a 12" screen. The article claims Apple's purchase was for 15" screen. That's a lot of screen real estate, IMHO (I can remember what a difference my 19" screen was compared to the 17" it replaced).

Hmm, no mention of aspect ratio. Maybe the new screens will be 16:9, ala Powerbook?
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Apple is currently making flat-panels, so I'm not sure where they get the idea that these orders are specifically for an iMac.

Apple is clear on the product lines...the feature slim consumer line and pro line. Each line gets a desktop and a portable. I think the cube was an example of why they shouldn't stray too far from that formula...at least in regards to computers.

They wouldn't bump the price of the iMac into the pro realm. They might be doing something with the pro line, but who knows?

Apple has been very good at keeping all future products behind doors, as well, so this article, in all likelihood is just pure speculation.

If I were apple, I'd pump out more consumer products like the iPod...
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by foo fighter

What the hell were you doing in the Apple Store, Jupe? I thought you were a PC user?
    LOL...I'm a pc user because I'm a SysAdmin for a WIntel network. From the little bit I've used Macs, I like them. Besides my wife wants an iMac.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Kill the price, kill the Imac, end of story.

Screw flat panel, give it a minor design overhaul and make the entry models capable of handling OSX well out of the box.
    Apple is currently making flat-panels, so I'm not sure where they get the idea that these orders are specifically for an iMac.
    One thing that occurred to me is that Apple could decide to include the 15" flat panel with a tower purchase. They already effectively have that if you buy a 2x800 right now and get the 15", so they could start giving away a free 15" LCD with a PowerMac purchase.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Screw flat panel, give it a minor design overhaul and make the entry models capable of handling OSX well out of the box.
    We have OS 10.1 running on an ancient beige desktop G3 fine. I assume an entry level iMac can run OSX just fine.

Moot point anyways, as we should be seeing gigahertz+ PPC chips early next year (FINALLY!)
    -David Byrne
    Moot point anyways, as we should be seeing gigahertz+ PPC chips early next year (FINALLY!)
    The G5?! Splendid!!
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.