Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm pretty upset. I got this spam text message yesterday:

53005: U have requested daily Romance Tips. Sub service is 9.99/mo + othr chgs may aply. 2 Stop send STOP. 4 HELP reply with HELP. To cont enter on web: 1727
    and then:

53005: Enjoy your daily romance tips. daily alerts billed at 9.99 per month! To quit, send STOP to 53005. For help text HELP.
    I contacted Sprint, and they said that yes, they'd pass any charges off to me, if they were charged. WTH!

They told me that I needed to respond with the STOP, and the only thing they could do was to put a block on my account so that I would not recv third party messages. The problem with the block is, according to Sprint, it affects all third party text subscriptions, even those that I *do* want. Like AMBER Alerts, Tweets, etc.

Is there nothing we can do? There should be some recourse against these companies that force us to limit our usage of our own phones, and on top of that STEAL money from us. I'm still not convinced that they'll stop sending me "romance tips", or not charge me.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I think SMS spamming is going to get as bad email spamming real soon.

I had a guy who was SMS spamming me (once every hour) to call an offshore pharmacy. It took a couple of calls to T-Mobile, but they finally traced this guy and blocked him. I couldn't block him myself since he kept spoofing his number.

Then right before the Super Bowl, I started getting SMS spamming for offshore betting. Same thing a couple of calls to T-Mobile stopped it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think SMS spamming is going to get as bad email spamming real soon.

I had a guy who was SMS spamming me (once every hour) to call an offshore pharmacy. It took a couple of calls to T-Mobile, but they finally traced this guy and blocked him. I couldn't block him myself since he kept spoofing his number.

Then right before the Super Bowl, I started getting SMS spamming for offshore betting. Same thing a couple of calls to T-Mobile stopped it.
    Actually SMS spamming is far far worse than email spam. Email spam is a major annoyance, and all that.... but these guys can just take your money if you let them!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    when i first activated my phone, i started getting text spams (bank phishing, match site). i'm not sure WHY i started getting them all of a sudden since my number has not changed and i was not getting them before on my Instinct (or phones prior to that). I went to the sprint website and placed a block on the short code for web since they were coming from that short code. of course, this would block any texts coming from people who would send me texts from the web, but i never get those, so it isnt' a concern for me.

if someone needs to text me, they can text me from a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Actually SMS spamming is far far worse than email spam. Email spam is a major annoyance, and all that.... but these guys can just take your money if you let them!
    So they had actually charged your Sprint account?

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    So they had actually charged your Sprint account?
    Not yet. Sprint told me that they'd pass the charge over, if they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Not yet. Sprint told me that they'd pass the charge over, if they do.
    Is there a Security/Fraud Dept at Sprint that you can talk to? rather than a customer service rep? If they tried this on you, there are probably others they are doing this to.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Is there a Security/Fraud Dept at Sprint that you can talk to? rather than a customer service rep? If they tried this on you, there are probably others they are doing this to.
    Just got off the phone with Sprint again. All they can do is block specific short codes, or block all short codes. If you set to block all, you can add a list of those that you want to let through, like amber alerts, google, weather alerts, etc. I'm going with that. That way I can control which 3rd parties sms me in the future.
    I have had his issue before and anytime I objected to the charge they took it off no questions asked. Come on we are not dealing with MetroPCS. Sprint takes care of its customers.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbintpa View Post
    I have had his issue before and anytime I objected to the charge they took it off no questions asked. Come on we are not dealing with MetroPCS. Sprint takes care of its customers.
    lol. Hi Sprint!
    We had a similar issue with a Facebook account. A phone call to CS took care of it though and a stern warning to the kids followed.
    I got two today from:

1813862-04XX@inbox.com// You have a new security message. Call now toll free: 1 813 862 04XX to hear it

I went a head and called the number from a pay phone

I got a recorded message that said, Your credit card numbers are being reported being used by a person with an IP from India, please enter your 16 digit credit card number and hit pound....etc... A security advisor will get back to you in 5 working days.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Wow... and you know many ppl fall for that out of fear, too
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I got two today from:

1813862-04XX@inbox.com// You have a new security message. Call now toll free: 1 813 862 04XX to hear it

I got a recorded message that said, Your credit card numbers are being reported being used by a person with an IP from India, please enter your 16 digit credit card number and hit pound....etc... A security advisor will get back to you in 5 working days.

Nice. The crooks are now too lazy to steal your credit card number! They want you to call them...at YOUR expense...and give the number to them.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Do those still exist???
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Do those still exist???
    Only in Chicago....
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Do those still exist???
    The ones by me have been converted to wireless Verizon pay phone. Maybe it's just a Chicago thing.

Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    Nice. The crooks are now too lazy to steal your credit card number! They want you to call them...at YOUR expense...and give the number to them.
    Why steal something that people will willingly give you? These cockroaches prey on fear and gullibility.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I got a new number with sprint instead of porting my old one because I still keeping my AT&T account (dont ask, its family issue), I started getting spam and its pissing me off. Does responding with STOP really work?
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    I got a new number with sprint instead of porting my old one because I still keeping my AT&T account (dont ask, its family issue), I started getting spam and its pissing me off. Does responding with STOP really work?
    Some do.

I picked up an extra AT&T prepaid line and the last owner had signed up for those horoscope ones. Replying with STOP fixed the problem.

If it does not work, call the carrier and tell them to drop the charges. If the do in fact drop the charges from your bill and do not pay the premium service provider, it is likely the premium provider will stop your service because they are not being paid. That route is a little more tedious, but it may work.

Most premium short codes seem to understand what "STOP" means.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast