Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74
  1.    #1  
    A man named Ted drives his car off a bridge with a woman inside and let's her drown as he gets himself to safety and leaves the scene.

    He is then called the greatest senator of all time by fellow coolaid drinkers. He was just another blowhard hypocrit, and a farce if ever there was one....

    Not going to miss him.
  2. #2  
    Dude, I didn't like him as a senator either, but have some class... he was a human being and was loved by lots of people. Save it for another time.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

  3. #3  
    I agree with monkeydog. I do not care one way or the other about Ted Kennedy, but dancing on someones grave regardless of what you think of them is classless.
  4. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #4  
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  5. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Yes, RIP.
  6. wjclint's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #7  
    Am I missing something - I haven't looked at this story since high school, but my recollection is he said he dove back in several times to try to save her unsuccessfully.

    Is there any actual evidence to support the statement that he "let's her drown?" Inconsistent statements, eyewitnesses, physical evidence? Or is the idea that he "let her drown," rather than he was involved in a tragic incident, being made by people that think based on conclusions rather than based on facts and analysis?
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
  7. DWEIL's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #8  
    Dude, he should have done jail time for Chappaquiddick. If that had been you or me, we most certainly would have done time. Ted Kennedy behaved like the gutless coward, pampered by privilege, he has been all along.

    So, too bad he's dead. But he already had more years of freedom than he deserved by any reasonable interpretation of the law.
    Last edited by DWEIL; 08/26/2009 at 12:47 PM.
  8. DWEIL's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wjclint View Post
    Am I missing something - I haven't looked at this story since high school, but my recollection is he said he dove back in several times to try to save her unsuccessfully.

    Is there any actual evidence to support the statement that he "let's her drown?" Inconsistent statements, eyewitnesses, physical evidence? Or is the idea that he "let her drown," rather than he was involved in a tragic incident, being made by people that think based on conclusions rather than based on facts and analysis?
    Yes, he left the scene of an accident and didn't report it until the body was discovered the next day. While a longshot, if he had called the police, there is a chance that Mary Jo Kopechne might have survived.

    But he didn't give her that chance. He made a decision that it was more important to cover his drunken tracks and do what he could to protect his precious political career.

    Also, there is no evidence to show that he actually attempted to rescue Kopechne. Considering his actions in this incident, there is substantial reason to cast doubt on his claims that he attempted to rescue her.

    He was a man without honor.
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Yes, let's forget all his four decades of major work on civil rights and health care.

    Sure, Chappaquiddick was pretty awful, but isn't it predictable that the Righties want us all to only remember that...

    What have you done with your oh, so sterling life?
    I agree with you Zelgo, leaving a woman to drown and die is bad, but come on, that was what....40 years ago? I will agree I have not relied on the government to support me like most Kennedys, so he has me beat on that, but I can honestly say I have never been involved in a questionable death.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  10. wjclint's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DWEIL View Post
    Yes, he left the scene of an accident and didn't report it until the body was discovered the next day. While a longshot, if he had called the police, there is a chance that Mary Jo Kopechne might have survived.

    But he didn't give her that chance. He made a decision that it was more important to cover his drunken tracks and do what he could to protect his precious political career.

    Also, there is no evidence to show that he actually attempted to rescue Kopechne. Considering his actions in this incident, there is substantial reason to cast doubt on his claims that he attempted to rescue her.

    He was a man without honor.
    I get he tried to cover it up and left the scene - that doesn't seem to me to suggest he let her drown. Lots of people do stupid things and try to cover them up. I have a problem with the automatic inference that if you try to cover up something then that means that what you are trying to cover up must be much worse than your version of what happened after you are caught. When one of my kids tries to cover up that he broke a jar of jelly I don't automatically assume he must have thrown it down on purpose.

    I also think it is a major stretch to suggest that in 1969 by the the time he found a phone, called the police, and the police got there that she had any chance of survival assuming she was submerged - and add to that him trying to rescue her, if he did.

    I have no problem with people saying what he did was reprehensible, he should have done time, etc. as long as it is based on the facts and evidence and not rank speculation. It seems to me that "he let her drown" is rank speculation. What we seem to know he did is bad enough without making stuff up to try to make it look even worse.
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
  11. #13  
    To me, the bigger question is the Kennedy's as a whole. If this had been a Republican family that made its fortune from bootlegging, and then most of them lived off this money or relied on a political life for support, I doubt democrats would be so enamored with the family as a whole. What I find hypocritical is this whole "camelot" BS that they pulled on the American people during JFK's time as President. Back then, they would have you believe he was this loving husband and father, and yet the secret service slipped women in and out of the White House for the guy. Don't get me wrong, on tagging Marilyn Monroe....but seriously....this family has/had more issues than you can shake a stick at...and yet....we have to listen to all this BS everytime one of them dies (actually, I just turn the channel, so not really forced to listen) because they lived off the government all these years.

    How many times have there been questionable issues with Kennedys, only to have the charges or investigations silently disappear? With that said, I certainly know that those close to him are hurting and missing the guy, and so I do offer sympathy for their loss.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  12. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wjclint View Post
    I get he tried to cover it up and left the scene - that doesn't seem to me to suggest he let her drown. [...]
    Was he in the car? Did he get out? What prevented him from getting her out as well at that time? Obviously by the time he would have reached a phone, it would have probably been too late, even if he had called the police instead of calling others. Anyway, it's irrelevant. He's dead.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  13. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    A man named Ted drives his car off a bridge with a woman inside and let's her drown as he gets himself to safety and leaves the scene.

    He is then called the greatest senator of all time by fellow coolaid drinkers. He was just another blowhard hypocrit, and a farce if ever there was one....

    Not going to miss him.
    Wow. I mean wow. This is bordering on pure hate speech.
  14. ECHO-313's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #16  
    [QUOTE=wjclint;1847893]

    I also think it is a major stretch to suggest that in 1969 by the the time he found a phone, called the police, and the police got there that she had any chance of survival assuming she was submerged - and add to that him trying to rescue her, if he did.

    QUOTE]

    This is the problem. He could have called police/rescue on anyone of the 5 phones that were avaiable to him, but he didn't. One was only 150 yards from the accident with the porchlight on. The same house that was used to report the accident when it was finaly discovered the next morning. FYI- It took the divers only 25 min. to get there after it was reported.
    He called a lot of other people that morning but never called the police until he saw from the shore that the car had been discovered.
    This after he fell asleep in his hotel room.
    You say "assuming she was submerged", she was. Thats where they found her. The diver said she lived for two hours breathing the air from a bubble!!
    Kennedy said he and two friends dove in many many times trying to save her.
    Why couldn't they then. If ..........MAN! I could go on and on. Look it up. He was trying to get away with the girls death. If it wasen't his car he would have. I mean he did.
    I won't miss him for this alone.
  15. #17  
    Hate speech? No, not at all. The man murdered another person. An innocent person. The man killed an innocent person. The family of the killed person has had to live with this fact for years while Ted went on with his joy filled life. At no time did any of our political leaders ever call this man out for the murder of this innocent people. For the family, this murder occurred yesterday, not 40 years ago. Forty years of hell caused by a man proclaimed to be the 2nd messiah - that really is crap and you know it. Why brush it over? Face the fact. Not pure hate speech. Truth from people who are just fed up with people like him.


    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Wow. I mean wow. This is bordering on pure hate speech.
  16. #18  
    Down trodded people? You really need to look much closer. You are also aware of his tax structure and where his money is. Did he support America? Not financially - he was a drain on it financially.

    I see you are still in to name calling.

    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    The Senator made an enormous, acknowledged mistake, but has spent his life doing good for the most down-trodden.

    Without Teddy and his staff, many persecuted legal immigrants would not have safe haven in the States; they saved the fishing industry in Massachusetts, started Head Start, and spearheaded Title 9 - programs many children have benefitted from.

    Ted was a strong supporter of civil rights legislation for minorities and women. Ted got 18 year olds the right to vote. And if not for his enormous influence, we would not be on the verge of getting healthcare for those in need (the crazies on the far right notwithstanding). That is just the tip of the Teddy iceberg, which includes over 15,000 Senate votes.

    He has never taken a salary on top of all this. You can make snide remarks about his wealth, of course, but he wasn't getting richer on my tax dollars. You add this in to the fact that he served as surrogate father to so many children who lost their fathers to tragedy--including those affected by 9/11.

    You are throwing tiny pebbles of snark at this giant, a man whose generosity and dedication to making life better for the less fortunate probably did more for the country before breakfast every morning than people on TC will do in a lifetime.
  17. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    I wonder if Laura Bush will engender such hatred when she dies...
    Huh?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  18. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #20  
    Here's a relevant post, as far as who is already bashing or not bashing TK: Not all Kennedy critics hold fire
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions