Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, the wait is over. It, now known as Segway, has been revealed. Check out a very comprehensive article about it here at Time.com.

Forget the Clie, I can live with my Visor Platinum. I am saving 3000 dollars for this!!! I want one now!!!

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Thanks for the link. Good article. I hate cars so can't wait for this device.

mc
    There is supposed to be a story on Good Morning America tomorrow. I wonder if they will have pictures, or perhaps Video?

Sounds very interesting. I would certainly like to play with one.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    It just doesn't seem pot-hole proof.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I saw part of the GMA piece... Charles Gibson and Diane Sawyer were buzzing around fairly well (and supposedly without having ever tried it before).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    the Mac operating system is superior to Windows
    TIME said so, it must be true!
    I saw it, and it looked cool. Dianne Sawyer asked to have Dean run over her foot...and she said she didn't feel a thing.

I think this would be ideal for elderly people or those having difficulty walking.
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I think this would be ideal for elderly people or those having difficulty walking.
    Ahh! No! Nothing against the elderly, but those that have difficulty walking certainly have difficulty driving.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/gma/index.html
    TWO F***ING POP UP ADS! ARRRGGGHHHH!

REALPLAYER! ARRRGGGHHHH!

(Last time I visit ABCNews, I guess...)
    -David Byrne
    REALLY disappointing.

Reasons:

1. Winter!
    2. Too fast for sidewalks, too slow for roads!
    3. $3,000!
    4. Wouldn't you rather sit?
    5. 65 lbs!
    6. Fun, and although I'm sure it is physically worth $3,000, I don't think it's worth that much for what it can do.

I DO think it's cool, just not practical.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    REALLY disappointing.

Reasons:

1. Winter!
    2. Too fast for sidewalks, too slow for roads!
    3. $3,000!
    4. Wouldn't you rather sit?
    5. 65 lbs!
    6. Fun, and although I'm sure it is physically worth $3,000, I don't think it's worth that much for what it can do.

I DO think it's cool, just not practical.
    1. The thing can go over ice. Plus, haven't you heard of a coat
    2. The thin can stop on a dime so it would be like hitting someone by walking into them. Plus, I don't think you want to go 12 mph on a sidewalk full of people. But when the sidewalk is mostly clear or you are on a bike route (like they have in Tucson), it is great.
    3. I guess I have to save up for it, darn. they gave you a year warning so I and you can save.
    4. I could care less. sitting, standing, doing jumping jacks.
    5. I can lift 65 lbs.
    6. You bet it will be fun.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    As one who walks 2 to 4 miles a day in the course of my job (pounding hard concrete floors), I'd love to try one of these things. Talk about cool!

Do you think they'll offer an on-board holder for my Visor?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by volcanopele

1. The thing can go over ice. Plus, haven't you heard of a coat
    ...Jason
    Haven't you heard of Minnesota!
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Jupe:

I have a feeling we weren't the target audience for this device!

I think it is incredibly cool and truly amazing technically. That said, I actually like walking. For most Americans, walking is about all the excercise a lot of us get.

While it's a neat toy, I'm not sure of the exact problem it is trying to solve. Walking seems to work, and a bike is an excellent (and much more affordable) alternative to walking.

I can't say that I've ever been walking downtown going 'gee, I wish I could move like this without having to exert any effor'.
    -David Byrne
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by Jupe
    Haven't you heard of Minnesota!
    Wussy!

I have ridden my bike in a blizzard while delivering papers. I have tredged through sub-zero temperatures and 6 inches of snow. I have let my window down when its 15 degrees outside. Minnesota weather...bring it on

I have also had the opposite extreme, trying to find a building on the University of Arizona campus for an hour at about 2pm in 110 degree weather (and don't give me that dry heat talk).

Jason
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by homer
    Jupe:

I have a feeling we weren't the target audience for this device!

I think it is incredibly cool and truly amazing technically. That said, I actually like walking. For most Americans, walking is about all the excercise a lot of us get.

While it's a neat toy, I'm not sure of the exact problem it is trying to solve. Walking seems to work, and a bike is an excellent (and much more affordable) alternative to walking.

I can't say that I've ever been walking downtown going 'gee, I wish I could move like this without having to exert any effor'.
    My life when I go to college was what this thing was made for. Getting between buildings on campus which can be up to a half mile apart. Going to and from school/work. Never having to pay the unversity any more money than I have to in parking fees.

Jason
    Jason:

Clearly you ARE the target audience. This would be a great campus vehicle.

One other problem I see with the device is that it seems incredible easy to steal. See one of these and you want it? Just clothesline the driver and hop on.

Maybe that's just me being paranoid.
    -David Byrne
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by homer
    Jason:

Clearly you ARE the target audience. This would be a great campus vehicle.

One other problem I see with the device is that it seems incredible easy to steal. See one of these and you want it? Just clothesline the driver and hop on.

Maybe that's just me being paranoid.
    Stealing it isn't exactly that easy. First, you have to make a copy of the 64-bit encryption key that allows it to turn the wheels at all so it would be pointless to take if you wanted to use it. Second, I have the added security of either using a U-Lock and a bike rack or stashing it in my office (or the office that I would share).

Jason
    It's definitely pot hole proof - if you hang on (and getting clotheslined would just propel you backwards - just keep hanging on and go around the ***** after it catches your balance for you). I'm saving up, if only because it would be fun. I walk a lot rather than taking a car and pissing around with a bike. At 175lbs (for 6'), I could use the extra lard for insulation in the winter. I'm married, so I don't need to impress anyone. I'm just curious how it handles mud and snow drifts.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by volcanopele

Wussy!

Jason
    You bet! I moved up here from Georgia 3 years ago and I think I'm finally adjusting to the winters. Taking up X-Country skiing helped a-lot.

Homer I completely agree. It's an incredibly neat toy but I've been trying to think of a time when I'd use it instead of walking or riding my bike.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast