1.    #1  
    As you may know, my computer and all my games were recently stolen. One of the games stolen was Need For Speed 3. It wasn't bad, the graphics were OK, but as long as I'm replacing games, I might as well get something new. I'm a fan of good graphic (well, duh, who isn't?). What's your favorite racing game?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Viper Racing by far! And it's even a budget title now ($10)
    Here's a review: http://www.gamezilla.com/reviews/v/viperracing.asp
    Here's a demo: http://www.gamespot.com/driving/viper/demos.html
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
  3.    #3  
    I've heard from the expert! $10 looks cheap, maybe too cheap. I'll check it out. Anybody else have an opinion?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    The only reason it is $10 is because it came out in Nov. 1998, and all the "hardcore simmers" already own it. Unlike EA's budget line, it still includes the full 120-page manual.
    One reason why VR is so good is because they decided to recreate the driving experience of JUST ONE CAR, and not dozens or hundreds! It has the best physics and force feedback you may ever find. The crashes are pretty cool as well.
    Galley
    My favorite racing game by far is Re-Volt (http://www.acclaim.com/games/re-volt/index.html).

All the fun of racing with the James Bond element of weapons do disable your competitors. And its networkable.
    I'm not sure if you like realistic racing or futuristic or combat racing, but my all time favorite racing game is the "WipeOut" series. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a combat racer with hovercraft as the vehicles. It's bloody fast (60fps). WipeOut XL has the best balance of graphics, control, and special effects. WipeOut 3 is pure eye candy as it is presented in high resolution. I do believe these are THE best graphics I've seen on the PSOne, but it also has the gameplay and speed to match.

Oops these are Playstation games--I do believe you mentioned a computer. But I think the first and 2nd WipeOut games were ported to PC.

A close second the the WipeOut series is the "Roll Cage" series, another combat racer only this time with cars with tires so large they can race on the other side if they flip over. The original and sequel are both great games with innovative weapons, good graphics, and tight control. As with WipeOut, the speed on this series is intense. The 1st Roll Cage was ported to PC, but I;m not sure about the 2nd Both these games are made by Psygnosis, which is now owned by Sony. Look for them--you won't be disappointed!

P.S. The only downside to playing these games is that the speed rush is so great that everything else will seem slow by comparison. I couldn't play Need For Speed after these because, well, it NEEDED SPEED!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
  7.    #7  
    I downloaded the Viper demo, and, with the keyboard at least, steering was a joke. Every time I tried to turn, my car would fishtail. The graphics weren't terrible, though. I still want something more .
    -Bernie

-Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by swendor

Oops these are Playstation games--I do believe you mentioned a computer. But I think the first and 2nd WipeOut games were ported to PC.

Is Bleem still around?
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    I downloaded the Viper demo, and, with the keyboard at least, steering was a joke. Every time I tried to turn, my car would fishtail. The graphics weren't terrible, though. I still want something more .
    You should try adjusting the sensitivity. Also, you will want to turn on Yaw Control and use some traction control as well as ABS. These are found in the options menu under "Driving Aids".
    Galley
  10.    #10  
    I don't think that's in the demo version. I'll check, though.
    -Bernie

-Dan Quayle
    look no further than Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed.

NFS: 4 is a great racing game also.

I also suggest you look at Motor City Online, a massively multiplayer game where you buy/sell/race classic American muscle cars in virtual communities. Great fun, there is a monthly fee however of $10. http://motorcityonline.com
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line