Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sprint has been pressured to pull their ads from The Glenn Beck Show because he said President Obama was being racist. This happened after President Obama said the Police Officer acted stupidly in arresting a Black Professor.

Show your support for Glenn Beck.

Ask Sprint when they will be renewing their ads on Glenn Beck. Remind them that Color of Change, which sent them form letters demanding a boycott of Glenn Beck, is a radical group that engages in racist hate-speech. Tell them CoC's founder went to prison for inciting the 1992 L.A. Riots, and accused President Bush of giving troops orders to shoot blacks people after Hurricane Katrina. Tell them that you are a loyal Beck listener and they should not be taking sides in this political game.
    It may have to do with this: Boycott FOX News Advertisers | Democrats.com
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Glad Palm took the correct route.
    I feel that the nut jobs that claim this is a free speech issue are nut jobs.

He is free to say anything he wants, doesn't mean we are suppressing our feelings by choosing not to buy the products that support him.

It is free speech and I am glad everyone has their say.

I am writing support of Palm's stance.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    You're right. Sprint is bowing to the boycotters.

This is just silly. As long as I can remember, the left has been open and free to say whatever they wanted about the President. And that includes some very very foul things... take Nixon, Carter, or Bush Jr., as examples.

So free speech is only for the left now?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It may have to do with this: Boycott FOX News Advertisers | Democrats.com
    So, does this mean Sprint is taking sides with the Democratic Party?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Glad Palm took the correct route.
    I feel that the nut jobs that claim this is a free speech issue are nut jobs.

He is free to say anything he wants, doesn't mean we are suppressing our feelings by choosing not to buy the products that support him.

It is free speech and I am glad everyone has their say.
    Sounds more like you're glad he's being punished. Not exactly what I'd expect to hear from someone who supports free speech at all.
    I am writing support of Palm's stance.
    I guess I'm a nut job. Thanks.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    Show your support for Glenn Beck.
    Will do. Writing to Sprint now.
    Glen beck is a moron, at least Rupert Murdoch must be thinking that right about now... And everyone else seems to be pulling their ads from him as well...in all its over 30 now...but hey it's probally the same media bias that made Palin quit....
    More Advertisers Bolt Glenn Beck
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  9. KAM1138
    Hello Everyone,

Boycotts, great. Well, I suppose now conservatives will have to boycott those companies who cave to pressure from liberals. It will all lead to great things I'm sure.

The thing that makes me laugh (in a bad way) is how liberals say that Fox news is "republican propaganda" or whatever, while happily accepting that pretty much all the other news sources out there are pretty much mirror images on the Democrat side. How dare Fox News do what MSNBC, CNN the New York times do, but supporting the opposite side. How DARE they!

No, these left-leaning media outlets didn't bend over backwards praising Candidate Obama and aren't helping to forward his agenda. Nah--that NEVER happens.

The actual problem is that people who aren't driven by the politicians us vs them game, don't really have an actual source of NEWS--you know, facts without bias.

Fox is right leaning, and MSNBC went from being relatively moderate to being very left leaning. To damn one and not the other is hypocritical. I'd really love to see people admit that they love their bias, and love seeing a media outlet supporting their bias and their position.

I'm not sure if the people expressing the "outrage" are liars, of if they simply so out of touch with reality that they believe they are not biased, and aren't supporting bias in the media--as long as it agrees with them.

Oh well--so much for that Government watchdog. Ah, who needs it--things will turn out ok without them right? Right? Right...

As far as Glenn Beck. Well, he must be saying something that bothers these people or they wouldn't be spending time trying to shut him up--and let's make no mistake--that is exactly what they are trying to do. Now, I say--go ahead, people can say what they want and other people can respond how they wish to what other people say. This isn't an infringement on free speech--but it is an attempt to intimidate.

Here's what I'd do if I were someone on TV that had someone pull sponsorship--I'd put their names up on screen and say "these people want to shut me up, if you think that's wrong, then you might want to consider your support for them?" See who wins that game.

KAM
    Last edited by KAM1138; 08/25/2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Additional Point
    I support Sprint's right to be associated (or not) with whatever show it wishes. Personally, I think Glenn Beck is reprehensible and hate-filled, and does not merit such a national cable platform, but I exercise my right not to watch him.

Free speech also means that those who oppose Beck may ask sponsors to withdraw their sponsorship; those sponsors get to decide how to spend their dollars. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  11.    #11  
    Thank you for contacting Sprint. I am sorry for the inconvenience faced by you regarding the advertising on the Glen Beck program.

It is our policy at Sprint to make advertising decisions based on the
    demographics of the audience and not on the nature of the content being broadcasted, provided the broadcast does not promote racist, sexist or other offensive views.
    (I have never seen Glenn Beck PROMOTE racist, sexist or other offensive views. Although he may point them out when they happen)
    Our goal is to reach our current and prospective customers through this venue; our advertising is not an endorsement for or against any particular candidate or political viewpoint.
    (I guess comments David Letterman made about Palin's daughter were not sexist)

While we understand your disappointment in the selection criteria
    organizers have established for this event, we would like to suggest you contact them directly to express your concerns.

(What ever that means)

We have already received the feedback on it and forwarded it to the
    appropriate department. We will get back to you as soon as we get any resolution. Your feedback is important and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Please let us know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Thank you again for contacting Sprint.

Sincerely,
    Veronica R.
    Sprint
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    The thing that makes me laugh (in a bad way) is how liberals say that Fox news is "republican propaganda" or whatever, while happily accepting that pretty much all the other news sources out there are pretty much mirror images on the Democrat side. How dare Fox News do what MSNBC, CNN the New York times do, but supporting the opposite side. How DARE they!
    As a moderate liberal, I think you're half right. I agree that MSNBC and some of the other news stations have a liberal bent. But our problem with Fox generally is not that they are ultra-conservative, but rather that they claim to not be. They're about as "fair and balanced" as Huffington. It's the hypocrisy we object to.
    The issue with Fox News is not the bias it may have; it's that the bias comes through not only in opinion shows, but in *news* shows, which ostensibly are supposed to present the facts on which the opiners opine later. Fox has a long and detailed record of just getting things *wrong,* and (amazingly enough) doing so in a way that benefits one particular ideology (a conservative one). (As one of many examples, see how Fox has more than once identified a disgraced Republican official as a Democrat: here and here, although oddly it has not made the same mistake the other way. For more examples, see here.) Say what you want about Keith Olbermann on MSNBC, but he's not advertised as a news anchor.
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  14. KAM1138
    Hello again,

Wait--the reason for this boycott is that Glen Beck called Obama a racist? Accusations of being a racist are thrown around daily without any basis whatsoever. Should I start boycotting every organization that has ever supported one of these idiots who thrives on calling other people racists? Should we storm the offices of the commentators and politicians who have suggested that the various townhall attendees (health care issue) are racist, simply because they oppose the President's Plans?

Are we really today in the 21st century so emotionally and logically crippled that we can't disagree with someone who happens to be of a different race without being called a racist?

I'm not a fan of these sorts of labels, so I don't support Beck saying that, but its a a horrible thing when he says it, but not when other people do it all the time?

I swear.

KAM
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Did you see the interview? The guy is a buffoon. "This president has exposed himself as a guy, over and over and over again, who has a deep-seated hatred for white people, or the white culture, I don't know what it is.", two minutes later, "I’m not saying that he doesn’t like white people. I’m saying he has a problem. He has a, this guy is, I believe, a racist." Way to stand by what you say *****, you can't come up with anything to back up your argument so just repeat it.

His mother is white, almost his entire cabinet is white. Where is he getting this from?

I don't have a problem with people with conservative views, I have a problem with people who make outrageous statements to incite people with conservative views. It goes both ways, Keith Olbermann is a moron too.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Yes, that is what it’s about….but read this:

What if Glenn Beck is right?
    What if Glenn Beck is right? NObama Blog
  17. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by AKraemer View Post
    As a moderate liberal, I think you're half right. I agree that MSNBC and some of the other news stations have a liberal bent. But our problem with Fox generally is not that they are ultra-conservative, but rather that they claim to not be. They're about as "fair and balanced" as Huffington. It's the hypocrisy we object to.
    Heya,

Sure, but that's a tagline. MSNBC doesn't advertise itself as left leaning, pro-obama does it? Should Fox have to advertise they are right leaning? My point is--none of them are out there admitting their bias.

ProfJonathan: Actually, there are many instances that are similar, in which Republican politicians party affiliation is prominently stated, but Democrats are omitted. There is a site dedicated to chronicling pro-left bias as well. I'm not going to post it unless you want me to.

As far as news--Hannity and Beck aren't advertised as news either. I would tend to disagree that Fox's news broadcasts are any more biased than MSNBCs. I've no doubt that instances of bias appear on both networks.

Don't get me wrong--I'd love to have an actual unbiased news channel, but I don't think we've got one.

KAM
  18. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I don't have a problem with people with conservative views, I have a problem with people who make outrageous statements to incite people with conservative views. It goes both ways, Keith Olbermann is a moron too.
    I personally don't believe that President Obama is a racist. I think he stuck his foot in his mouth with that Professor Gates comment, but I'm really not concerned about that.

Here's the way I see it--if people want to be angry and worked about something--they'll find a reason. We have a choice on how to respond to this stuff, and I'm hoping that some sort of group of reasonable people will emerge again someday and realize we are being played by the fringes--to their benefit at the expense of ours (the citizens).

KAM
    yeah or how about billo getting upset at people calling the town hall protesters nuts....hello Mr. war protesters are "loons". How about giving the President 1 iota of respect and admit he was born in HI....nope instead the lot of repugs dodge the question or give vague answers like " i dont know"....seriously....can you give him that respect faux news?, to say on air: HE IS OUR LEGITIMATE PRESIDENT? Al Gore said that about BOOSH when half the country thought otherwise....

Sorry i just realized I took this WAAAYYY off topic....Sorry...

To get unbiased news I watch Olberman, Hanniety and maddow(huckabee on sundays). Sometime I put cooper on as well. I watch no more than an hour flipping between the channels, then i sit on the couch and comtemplate what i've heard and can belive...normally complaining about all of their corperate overlords, and swear I'll stick to cspan in the future. Rinse Repeat on big news days...
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/25/2009 at 02:56 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Two things I know are true in this debate -

1- Free Speech does not give you a free pass to say whatever you want without consequences, unless you hold the majority view, or the view of the people in power. In which case, say what you want.

2- Boycotting a program/product for any reason is well within the rights of every American because that in and of itself is the Freedom of Speech in action.

Being racist is about as backward as you can get; but playing the race card in politics or any other venue is cowardly.

It makes no sense to attack someone as a racist as that does not address any real concerns. Mr. Beck, in saying what he said, was exercising his Free Speech rights. This being the case he must accept the consequences.

I am apolitical (meaning without political affiliation) as none of the parties represent me or my beliefs.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 08/26/2009 at 11:57 AM.
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast