Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 261
  1. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Two things I know are true in this debate -

    1- Free Speech does not give you a free pass to say whatever you want without consequences, unless you hold the majority view, or the view of the people in power. In which case, say what you want.

    2- Boycotting a program/product for any reason is well within the rights of every American because that in and of itself is the Freedom of Speech in action.

    Being racist is about as backward as you can get; but playing the race card in politics or any other venue is cowardly.

    It makes no sense to attack someone as a racist as that does not address any real concerns. Mr. Beck should not have said what he did, and in excercising his Free Speech rights, he must accept the consequences.

    I am A-Political (meaning without political offiliation) as none of the parties represent me or my beliefs.
    I tend to agree with you. It is hypocritical however, for an organization that thrives on calling other people racists to whine and cry when someone else does the exact same thing. It speaks to the level of dishonesty that is more and more accepted in our society I think.

    KAM
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    To get unbiased news I watch Olberman, Hanniety and maddow(huckabee on sundays). Sometime I put cooper on as well. I watch no more than an hour flipping between the channels, then i sit on the couch and comtemplate what i've heard and can belive...normally complaining about all of their corperate overlords, and swear I'll stick to cspan in the future. Rinse Repeat on big news days...
    For political/government news, CSPAN is definitely the way to go, along with SiriusXM's POTUS channel and actually reading the documents being debated for yourself. Neither the eminent Dr. Maddow nor any other pundit should be watched for "news," but only for commentary about the news. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  3. #23  
    I have to agree with several of you on the fact that Fox News in general doesn't present the facts. They bend it to their will, usually with ridiculous jargon. Sometimes even making words up. That's why they are the target of so much political ridicule. Glenn Beck is in this camp...just take a look at differences in his arguments from CNN to FOX. You want unbiased news?...turn to NPR or PBS. At least they have the facts straight.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    Yes, that is what it’s about….but read this:

    What if Glenn Beck is right?
    Then you should feel troubled by the advertisers' pulling out of his show. Personally, I think he was not only wrong but incredibly divisive, and am glad companies are distancing themselves from his remarks. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamHydrogen View Post
    I have to agree with several of you on the fact that Fox News in general doesn't present the facts. They bend it to their will, usually with ridiculous jargon. Sometimes even making words up. That's why they are the target of so much political ridicule. Glenn Beck is in this camp...just take a look at differences in his arguments from CNN to FOX. You want unbiased news?...turn to NPR or PBS. At least they have the facts straight.
    This post is hilarious! OMG!!!!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfJonathan View Post
    The issue with Fox News is not the bias it may have; it's that the bias comes through not only in opinion shows, but in *news* shows, which ostensibly are supposed to present the facts on which the opiners opine later. Fox has a long and detailed record of just getting things *wrong,* and (amazingly enough) doing so in a way that benefits one particular ideology (a conservative one). (As one of many examples, see how Fox has more than once identified a disgraced Republican official as a Democrat: here and here, although oddly it has not made the same mistake the other way. For more examples, see here.) Say what you want about Keith Olbermann on MSNBC, but he's not advertised as a news anchor.
    Said like a true hero of the left! It's amazing. I feel the exact opposite. I could have written something identical, but opposing. We should write a template with (insert Callsign here) and (enter Talking Head here).

    It's all about bashing the other guy, right? Especially when he's down. Everyone wants a piece!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #27  
    So.... saying that you think that the President is a racist, makes you a racist? How does that work exactly?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    So.... saying that you think that the President is a racist, makes you a racist? How does that work exactly?
    No, saying the president is a racist without any particular information to prove such a claim doesn't make you a racist. It makes you an *****.
  9. AKraemer's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Said like a true hero of the left! It's amazing. I feel the exact opposite. I could have written something identical, but opposing. We should write a template with (insert Callsign here) and (enter Talking Head here).

    It's all about bashing the other guy, right? Especially when he's down. Everyone wants a piece!
    Actually, we were pretty okay about bashing the right when they were up, too.

    I'm of the mind that the only non-biased reporting is on the Daily Show, and they admit that they're not news.

    NPR is not unbiased. They can't afford to be; the right would shut them down at the first opportunity if they could.

    But seriously, people - you're defending Beck? That's like the left defending LaRouche.
  10. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamHydrogen View Post
    No, saying the president is a racist without any particular information to prove such a claim doesn't make you a racist. It makes you an *****.
    I've heard various talking heads claim that TEA party goers or people at townhall meetings are racists. It is highly unlikely they can prove those claims, given they are referring to groups of individuals, yet labeling them with a broad brush. Do you think that people should call for boycotts of those shows that air these views as well? Janine Garafalo regularly defames people she disagrees with by saying they racially motivated or claiming they are racists. She is featured on MSNBC at various times. She hasn't proven those claims--she is simply lashing out at people that disagree with her.

    So, should political activists just trade ***** accusations and engage in boycotts or should someone say "Grow up morons." I prefer the latter, because it doesn't further damage our economy.

    There are a lot of cowards in this world who will say anything they want and are rarely ever held accountable. Singling out Glen Beck (not a fan BTW) is...unbalanced.

    KAM
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Glen beck is a moron, at least Rupert Murdoch must be thinking that right about now... And everyone else seems to be pulling their ads from him as well...in all its over 30 now...but hey it's probally the same media bias that made Palin quit....
    More Advertisers Bolt Glenn Beck
    I think you are the moron this time. I read a lot of what you say and enjoy reading it up until now. I guess we'll have to day this is 9 out of 10. If Obama just showed his birth certificate, the story would be over, right? At least you started to redeem yourself later. Don't worry, I'll still read what you have to say.
  12. #32  
    Regardless of the bias, I don't entirely believe that Glenn Beck believes all the things he says. It's about numbers. Generally, the more controversial the argument, the more people tune in to see how ridiculous it is. Its like the phenomenon of reality television.
  13. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Hello again,

    Wait--the reason for this boycott is that Glen Beck called Obama a racist? Accusations of being a racist are thrown around daily without any basis whatsoever. Should I start boycotting every organization that has ever supported one of these idiots who thrives on calling other people racists? Should we storm the offices of the commentators and politicians who have suggested that the various townhall attendees (health care issue) are racist, simply because they oppose the President's Plans?

    Are we really today in the 21st century so emotionally and logically crippled that we can't disagree with someone who happens to be of a different race without being called a racist?

    I'm not a fan of these sorts of labels, so I don't support Beck saying that, but its a a horrible thing when he says it, but not when other people do it all the time?

    I swear.

    KAM
    I think it is VERY different when a visible leader of the Repulican party (VERY white) calls the first black president a racist. That is divisive and he has no facts to base it on. It's not in the best interest of the country, it was a stupid thing to say, but Fox will draw more viewers in because of it. Sad.
  14. AKraemer's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by stashu11 View Post
    If Obama just showed his birth certificate, the story would be over, right?
    I'm sorry. Is this still in question? Wow.
  15. #35  
    Going back to the point of this whole thread...No...Sprint probably should not pull their advertising from the show based on what Glenn said. If you don't like their position, I suppose you can write them expressing dissatisfaction or not buy their stock or products. Personally, I've never been happier with a wireless carrier. (and that's not saying i'm completely satisfied.) Bottom line, the network has worked (and usually quite well) where I've tried all the others.
  16. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by AKraemer View Post
    But seriously, people - you're defending Beck? That's like the left defending LaRouche.
    That's interesting, because apparently the Obama as Hitler posters blamed on conservatives by CNN, MSNBC and NBC, when they were actually the product of the LaRouche people. Why defend LaRouche, when your medial allies will blame their actions on Conservatives or average citizens. So much for accuracy huh?

    Leftists have accused Conservatives of being Nazi's for my lifetime, so I can't get too upset when some lefty idiots (LaRouche gang) target Democrats. I don't support it in any case, but its either right or wrong in both cases.

    KAM
  17. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamHydrogen View Post
    No, saying the president is a racist without any particular information to prove such a claim doesn't make you a racist. It makes you an *****.
    Ahh, so Glenn Beck isn't entitled to being an *****, or to holding an opinion or vocalizing that opinion. We must DESTROY HIM! BOYCOTT AWAY ME MATEYS!! YAAARRGH!

    You obviously have no clue what he said, but you're quick to call him an *****.... what does that make you? Hrm?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think it is VERY different when a visible leader of the Repulican party (VERY white) calls the first black president a racist. That is divisive and he has no facts to base it on. It's not in the best interest of the country, it was a stupid thing to say, but Fox will draw more viewers in because of it. Sad.
    I agree. I have an uncle who takes Fox News as gospel. When talking to him, his arguments couldn't be more illogical.
  19. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think it is VERY different when a visible leader of the Repulican party (VERY white) calls the first black president a racist. That is divisive and he has no facts to base it on. It's not in the best interest of the country, it was a stupid thing to say, but Fox will draw more viewers in because of it. Sad.
    Hello Dave75. Are you claiming that Glenn Beck is a Republican party leader? I think you might want to check your facts, because to my knowledge he isn't a Republican party member at all, let alone a leader.

    Its not in the best interest of the country when any ***** runs around spouting inaccurate and inflammatory remarks--but some people get a free pass for doing it. Obama himself sad idly by for years while his own reverend spouted racist nonsense.

    People do stupid things and lose their cool. Beck doesn't make a habit of this (calling people racists--he loses his cool a lot I hear) as far as I know, but others do, and they get away with it.

    KAM
    Last edited by KAM1138; 08/25/2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Clarification
  20. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think it is VERY different when a visible leader of the Repulican party (VERY white) calls the first black president a racist. That is divisive and he has no facts to base it on. It's not in the best interest of the country, it was a stupid thing to say, but Fox will draw more viewers in because of it. Sad.
    Glenn Beck is not a leader in any party. And what does his skin color have to do with it? That's a racist remark, I think. Are you are racist?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions