Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Do you know if there is a way to know when someone calls your Google Voice number as apposed to your Cell number? For example, I want to use my Google Voice number to give to clients, but it will ring on my Cell. When they call is there a way to have it say they called your Google Voice number so when you answer you can give a more professional greeting then "Hello." that you normally would for everyone else?
    You have a few options, all of which are under "Settings" in the upper right menu.
    Call Screening will ask your callers to state their names. Then when you get the call, it can tell you who's calling and give you the option to answer or send to voicemail (while you listen in).
    Call Presentation is the part where it will tell you who's calling or not based upon your preference.
    Caller ID will show either the caller's ID or your Google Voice number when you get a Google Voice call. This may be the easiest way to do what you want.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    So let me make sure I am understanding you correct. If I set it to "Caller ID" and someone dials my cell number directly it will display their number, but if they call my Google Voice number it will display my Google Voice number instead of their number, correct? If this is the case, then that would work just fine for me. I don't need their actual number, just a way to tell which number of mine they are calling.
  4. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    If you set the Google Voice options to display your Google Voice number when a call comes through it, it will do what you're looking for.

I set mine up that way, then I created a contact on my phone with my Google Voice number, the name "Google Voice," and created a Google Voice logo image to associate with that contact. So when I get a call on my Google Voice number, it pops up the caller ID as Google Voice with the logo.

xtn
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Yeah I just tried it myself and it worked, but I ignored the call and let it go to voicemail and it gave the voicemail greeting I have set for my cell number instead of my Google Voice number even though that was the number I dialed. Any suggestions?
  6. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Google Voice should catch your voicemail before the cell phone. Just update your VM greeting @ Google Voice. It also has a great feature that converts speech to text and can email (or text) you a written copy of your voicemail.

I think you can answer a lot of your questions for yourself if you explore and experiment with the Google Voice settings. Good luck.