1.    #1  
    HI folks,

i have a sort of odd situation and i'm wondering if someone with more experience can help me.

i'm in canada. some guy in the usa has something i want. he's offered to sell it to me. however, i don't know him from adam and it's a lot of money.

he has suggested:

"You send me shipping address. I send you tracking number package and you send me money."

but i am still skeptical (part of the reason i'm skeptical is that it takes this guy forever to mail me back (2 emails in one month)).

perhaps i'm a paranoid nut for thinking he could put some nonsense in a box and ship it to me so the tracking number is useless.

what i'm curious about is...

1. does anyone know a better way to do this?

2. once he ships a package (say, by fedex or any service, really), is there a way for him to recall it? (i'm asking this because i've thought that maybe i coudl not send my payment until i actually *receive* the package. though thinking this bothers me because it's not particularly nice. however, i'd send him an extra $50 bucks for making him wait a few more days.

anyone else with suggestions?

thanks!

L.
    The only way I would go forward with the transaction is if he agreed to use Paypal, or some other method of paying, so that you could pay with a credit card. Most credit card companies offer protection to their customers if they pay for something and never get it (or if he sent you an empty box). They would most likely credit your account and launch an investigation. That is the only way I would go through with it. You are not being a "paranoid nut" - you are just being cautious. If the guy refuses to comply with your request, run away as fast as you can. As for recalling a FedEx shipment, I am not 100% sure, but I think that is impossible.
    Well I'm sorta big on buying/trading/selling on anadtech and HardOCP. We all go by one book, Heatware . If the guy you are trading with has a lot of referals then he basicaly has the say in what goes on( seeing your new at this). Ask him for heatware or ebay. If he doesn't have any then you two are inthe same place. You have 3 options:
    1) send your MO (and if he is a troll) you'll never see your money again.
    2) Cross ship, also risky
    3) COD You get to hold the package in your hand and you give the fedex guy the MO

I personaly like option 3, gayguy here at VC introduced this option to me.

When ever personal trades are done online you have to be extremely cautious, check his posts at the forum you met him at to see if he is a legit trader, make sure his address and name matches. (Theres not excuse for different names) Once you have his name go to trollhunters.com to see if he is on it or Anandtech.com 's bad traders list. I go through this process now when ever i do online trades b/c i had a close call with Firehawk2 at Sysopt.com, Luckily my dad squared things away Hope this helps more than it scares you, but you gotta always be cautious.
    Don't Worry It's Human Nature To Point Out The Obvious
    I don't know if this is the same but i tried recalling my package with the USPS when i delt with firehawk2 and they said they can't. Unless FEDEX or UPS has something written about this I would guess it would be the same.?
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the advice folks. It all seems far too risky for my liking. I just emailed the guy and told him I'd only buy it if he ships to me and then I will send payment (whatever method he wishes). I also sent him a few ways to confirm where I was and stuff like that (I own a few domains and he can verify my address/phone number with internic.)

I don't know whether he'll go for it or not but it's almost a grand and I'm not willing to gamble. Once again, thanks for the help.

mc
    Good call, always go with your gut feeling..i wish i did.
    good call, for a grand there's no other way to do it, especially when your gut tells ya no.
    You could try an escrow service, like:tradenable

You pay
    4% of Transaction Amount with $7.95 minimum
    of the sale and they keep both parties safe.
    Jeff
    How hard would it be for him to send you an empty box, and after you paid, claim that he sent you the item? It's then your word against his and he would rely on the shipping records as evidence that he sent the item to you. When dealing on-line, you've got to assume that everyone's a crook.

The first item I ever tried to buy on Ebay was a $400 digital camera. The guy was selling 15 of them and I wouldn't send him any money because he refused to utilize an escrow service. Several of the other winners sent him money orders, and never saw their money (or a camera) again. The police were investigating, but I have no idea how it turned out.
    Trolls rarly get in trouble with the law, that's the truth from personal experience and from other people i have run in to. The police dont take online transactions seriously. All you can do is prevent it from happening.
    How hard would it be for him to send you an empty box, and after you paid, claim that he sent you the item? It's then your word against his and he would rely on the shipping records as evidence that he sent the item to you.
    The answer is to check the weight of the shipment. All carriers weigh each shipment and the weight is on record.

As others have said, the best way to go is through a service like Paypal or any credit card. That way you are protected. It is what I did when I bought a dye-sub printer through Yahoo Auctions. Cost well over $1000 but I was not worried because it was paid for with a credit card. If I had received an empty box or even a non-working printer all I had to do was contact my credit card company and I would be immediately credited my purchase price.
    Jonathan
    I usually do all my selling on eBay, but sometimes will sell outright. I always offer my eBay userID (Galley) so they can check out my feedback. Basically it always comes down to trust. I have done several buys/trades without going through eBay and have never had any problems. Ask for some type of reference.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Two things:

-= UPS (at least) will not recall shipments. Once you ship it, the recipient gets it.

-= UPS takes the senders word on weight (unless it's radically different from what's listed).
    creole said:
    -= UPS takes the senders word on weight (unless it's radically different from what's listed).
    Sorry to disagree, but UPS, FedEx and Airborne all weigh every package that they handle. It is a very rare shipper that does not have weight corrections several times a year, even if its only a 1 pound difference.

In a previous life I owned a packaging & shipping store so I know shippings regs fairly well.
    Jonathan