Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    Cash For Appliances!

    Cash for refrigerators? Yes, that's right, along with washing machines, dishwashers and other houshold appliances. Starting late this fall, you could get a rebate of $50 to $200 for buying a new, more energy-efficient appliance.

    The Obama administration hopes a new incentive program will help the economy and the environment, persuading people it's time to replace that creaky old thing in your kitchen. The federal government has set aside $300 million for the program as part of the economic stimulus plan.
    Another outstanding plan to stimulate the economy by the Obama Administration!

    Cash for Refrigerators: Clunkers-Type Rebate for Home Appliances - ABC News
    Last edited by palandri; 08/24/2009 at 11:32 PM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  2. #2  
    How about cash for old cell phones so everyone can upgrade. Don't forget that big TV with a energy guzzling picture tube. A big screen TV would be nice. This doesn't make sense $50-$200 for new appliances, all you have to do is look for sales and you can save that amount without having us pay for someone else's appliance.

    Anyone else getting tired of the government deciding how to spend our money?

    I would like to trade in some old clunker Congressmen on new ones!
  3. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #3  
    Yeah, I heard the government feels its going to be a big hit so they've already set up a clearinghouse to handle all of the paperwork. It's called the Appliance Rebate System Exchange.

    Check out their website... arse.gov
  4. #4  
    You know....I made fun of this exact program coming around, but was totally being sarcastic....and look....here it is! Funny.

    I'm still waiting on the "Cash for Me" program. That is where the government lets everyone keep more of their own money, and spend it how they see fit. I didn't need a car.....my applicances are all working fine (knock on wood).....just let me keep more cash and I'll spend it! Seriously! I will! I promise!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  5. #5  
    As an owner of Toyota stock, I'd like to thank the government and all the tax payers for the "cash for clunkers" program. 2 of the top 3 cars sold during this program were Toyota cars! Toyota stock has been hurting through this whole economic slow down, and so nice to have this fine Japanese company helped out. So thanks for the help!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  6. #6  
    Great....good American $$ from an American government....for what...to help out the Foreign Competition again...WHAT have they ever done for us to help. Im sick of always helping out other countries just cause they can't handle themselves correctly.

    I own a 2006 Chevy Malibu...great car, great gas MPG, and VERY reliable. Traded in my JEEP for a 2007 Honda Civic to save on MPG...big mistake...biggest POS car I have ever owned. Cheap made I guess just like most the other things, which is the main reason people buy it in the first place....cheaper on their budget. What they dont realize is it costs more in the long run replacing it twice as often. Palm Pre is a fine example...made in China...DOH...no wonder it OREO twists!
  7. #7  
    Not sure if anyone can verify this....but....just heard that the $4500 cash received will be taxed! LOL Hmmm....I don't remember that being mentioned. Anyway, I haven't been able to verify this but should be interesting if it is true. Just no such thing as a free lunch, huh?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    You know....I made fun of this exact program coming around, but was totally being sarcastic....and look....here it is! Funny.

    I'm still waiting on the "Cash for Me" program. That is where the government lets everyone keep more of their own money, and spend it how they see fit. I didn't need a car.....my applicances are all working fine (knock on wood).....just let me keep more cash and I'll spend it! Seriously! I will! I promise!
    In case you didn't notice it, your payroll taxes were reduced a few months ago. Not by a huge amount. Probably around $20 per paycheck, depending on your income. If you make less your tax reduction was higher.

    Point being, this was another brilliant step to turn the economy around by putting extra money in peoples pockets to spend.

    So, you asked for it, there it is! Go out to a movie or something. District 9 is a GREAT movie currently in the theaters.

  9. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Point being, this was another brilliant step to turn the economy around by putting extra money in peoples pockets to spend.
    I appreciate how you also said that when Bush did it.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I appreciate how you also said that when Bush did it.
    Exactly the point. The reason the Obama administration decided to create small extra money every month instead of a lump some once a year tax rebate check is the fact that people didn't spend the Bush rebate checks. They put them in the bank. Which is actually a good thing for the individual families but did not promote spending to support the economy.

    The Obama administration looked back at that and realized a slower trickle of the tax break would do better to help the economy. So no, I'm not criticizing the Bush admin for trying to kick-start the economy in the manner they did. The Obama admin had the fortunate hindsight and realized the Bush efforts were not effective and noodled it about and created a method that is being effective.

    So give credit to them for that. Cripes, if Obama walked on water you would say it's because he can't swim.
  11. #11  
    It is more Kool-Aid. Drink it up and we will all be fine.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati1098 View Post
    /It is more Kool-Aid. Drink it up and we will all be fine.
    Why not make an actual point?

    How is it kool-aid? The point is to stimulate the economy through purchases AND stimulate manufacturing from those purchases AND put energy effecient appliances in the home.

    So PULEEZ, instead of calling it kool-aid, address how it will or will not meet these objectives.
  13. #13  
    It is kool aid. Have you seen appliances not marked Energy Efficient within the recent past? Within the last ten years? No. This does not stimulate manufacturing and purchases. Other people (me and you) are financing purchases for other people and what does that stimulate? The money to buy these things come from someone and has to be paid back to someone. This really is a loosing proposition. Lower the cost of doing business and that will stimulate the economy. No Kool-aid about that.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    In case you didn't notice it, your payroll taxes were reduced a few months ago. Not by a huge amount. Probably around $20 per paycheck, depending on your income. If you make less your tax reduction was higher.

    Point being, this was another brilliant step to turn the economy around by putting extra money in peoples pockets to spend.

    So, you asked for it, there it is! Go out to a movie or something. District 9 is a GREAT movie currently in the theaters.

    I don't have the luxury of getting a "pay check". I am straight commission and I pay all my taxes quarterly. I have no idea about this extra $20. Thanks for the idea of the movie, but, I rarely make movies anymore because I refuse to support liberal Hollywood types.

    But as I said earlier, I'm glad tax payers helped out Toyota, 2 of the top 3 cars sold were Toyota cars and hopefully that will help my Toyota stock! So, this was a great stimulus plan for Japan! Once again, helping other countries. Give money back to EVERYONE to spend, not just select people who were going to make a car purchase within the next year anyway. Have you noticed that car sale estimates have been lowered? The reason? Folks that were going to buy simply moved their purchase up. Cash for clunkers is a hoax.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  15. #15  
    The wife and I may use this to get us a new fridge, given that they dont hike prices up to MSRP and tout the incentive as a carrot over our heads. If so, then I will wait.

    I love political banter just like the next guy, but let's be honest...if you buy a car in America, it helps pay American workers, salesmen, and business owners. Who cares if its a Honda, Toyota, Ford, or Chrysler?! If you go to a Toyota dealer, you will most likely find a tax-paying US citizen selling you the vehicle.

    Oh...and lets not forget the reason they advertise for these programs...to reduce the American's energy consumption by switiching out to more efficient products. It works...even if it is just a few dollars.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    The wife and I may use this to get us a new fridge, given that they dont hike prices up to MSRP and tout the incentive as a carrot over our heads. If so, then I will wait.

    I love political banter just like the next guy, but let's be honest...if you buy a car in America, it helps pay American workers, salesmen, and business owners. Who cares if its a Honda, Toyota, Ford, or Chrysler?! If you go to a Toyota dealer, you will most likely find a tax-paying US citizen selling you the vehicle.

    Oh...and lets not forget the reason they advertise for these programs...to reduce the American's energy consumption by switiching out to more efficient products. It works...even if it is just a few dollars.
    Oh no doubt when a Toyota or Honda is sold here that it helps an American some how....but...the main portion of the money ends back at the primary company. Which like I said, since I own Toyota stock, I find that just fine. Their stock has been hit like all other stocks and I'm just happy for the help....although....we'll see how future sales go.

    In fact you made my point with your possible refrigerator purchase. You obviously need one....so you either buy it now with the "carrot"....or....you wait a little while. It's still 1 frig sold....just now rather than 6 months or a year later. The same with the cars. I can't speak for everyone, but at least to me, a car purchase isn't an "impulse" purchase. I either need a car, or I don't, and it is a planned purchase because of the cost. I personally never bought a car because of a sale....it had to be I was in the market and happened to find a deal. Same thing here likely....most people were going to buy a car within the next year anyway and now those future sales have been made.

    But be careful....rumor has it that $4500 will be taxable. Still trying to confirm this....but oops....might have been something they didn't mention.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  17. #17  
    I know I'll be busted for this...and not on topic....but...gotta ask....at what age is a nose ring a little ridiculous? Don't you get to a certain age and realize it looks silly? Sorry....palandri will likely get on my case for that question....but just a question I've had recently.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  18. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Why not make an actual point?

    How is it kool-aid? The point is to stimulate the economy through purchases AND stimulate manufacturing from those purchases AND put energy effecient appliances in the home.

    So PULEEZ, instead of calling it kool-aid, address how it will or will not meet these objectives.
    Kool-aid was right on topic. Meeting those objectives are not the only points to discuss. How about the fact that we're TRILLIONS of dollars in debt, and we don't need more redistribution of our tax dollars?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  19. Levi4u's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Cash For Appliances!



    Another outstanding plan to stimulate the economy by the Obama Administration!

    Cash for Refrigerators: Clunkers-Type Rebate for Home Appliances - ABC News
    Well here in michigan Consumers Energy has added a monthly charge on our consumers bill to pay out these "Rebates" for purchising new energy efficent appliances. So all in all we are paying for others to recieve these rebates. Our home is new and all new energy efficient appliances so we get screwed by not being able to recoup those rebates but yet we have to contribute so others can.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi4u View Post
    Well here in michigan Consumers Energy has added a monthly charge on our consumers bill to pay out these "Rebates" for purchising new energy efficent appliances. So all in all we are paying for others to recieve these rebates. Our home is new and all new energy efficient appliances so we get screwed by not being able to recoup those rebates but yet we have to contribute so others can.
    Ahhhh....our government at it's finest! That's why I again say, how about the "Cash for Me" program. Let ME keep MY money and I'll spend it how I want to spend it! Now that would be stimulus....why help just one sector or two? Makes no sense.....selective stimulus? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions