Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Hmmm...any smart guys out there, I'm assuming PDA users are "smart" wanna help me with my research paper?

    I'm doing it on the oedipal complex, (kill dad, marry mom). Anyone that can define it well based Freud's interpertation? Hmm, and the validity of the oedipal complex as well...in modern psycology or however you spell it, err, bad spelling and I'm in english honors?

    LOL, sounds like some tech companies, sort of. Handspring kills it dad and marry it's mom. (Dad being palm, and Mom being Donna Dubinsky.) Haha, hmm, maybe that just sounds wrong...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Anyone that can define it well based Freud's interpertation? Hmm, and the validity of the oedipal complex as well...in modern psycology or however you spell it, err, bad spelling and I'm in english honors?
    Well, I can only give you anecdotal stuff about the Oedipus complex.

    Freud started it up, and some say his psychosexual theory (oedipus complex and it's sister the Electra complex) kicked off the modern age and its obsession with sexual power as the hidden modivating power behind all things.

    His interpretation (although "interpretation" is a misnomer, he wrote it, and it is a bit awkward to say he also "interpreted" it..but you could say his later work does, in fact, interpret his earlier work.. on the other hand.....) is simply that

    1. Children are, in fact, sexual beings.
    2. As such, boys become sexually attracted to their mothers at an early age.
    3. Because of sociological taboos and the imposing power of the father, this attraction is repressed to the deepest levels of the unconscious--it becomes the [i]id[/b], the dark drive within all of us.
    4. The id leads us to want to murder our fathers and to have a hatred/fascination with the *****, the source of his sexual power over our mothers and ourselves.


    As far as modern acceptance goes, most psychologists these days tend to accept 1 completely, the idea of the unconscious and the id, and some other stuff. The stuff that seems out there they usually discount.

    ...Thing is, the theory is incredibly good at explaining stuff. Freudian analysis of literary texts can give you insights into pretty much anything written in the 20th century.

    If you need real sources, I can do some research later... lemme know. It sound as though you just need to go and find a general psych 101 college text... is there a specific application that you need to know about the oedipus complex for?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks dietrichbohn,
    My paper was due today, but it was ok, I think I did pretty well on it. That was pretty much exactly what I wrote about it. Thanks for the great reply, I still think Freud is a little messed up, came up with tons of stuff to bring him down, haha. Wonder what kind of relationship he had with his mother??? hMmMm...

    Got another paper due next week, hehe, help would be great!

    I have to find a time in history, NOT US or US related History, in which someone or a group of people broke a law but were justified in doing so. The holocaust, slavery, etc can't be used.

    Thanks guys!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  4. #4  
    Three posts on Oedipus and not one mention of the man who "invented" it? Where would Freud have been without Sophocles?

    No doubt he still would have written about Oedipus Complex... but what would he have called it? Frank's Complex?

    mc
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    I have to find a time in history, NOT US or US related History, in which someone or a group of people broke a law but were justified in doing so. The holocaust, slavery, etc can't be used.
    Well...

    You gots your Christians when the Romans were cracking down on them. You got your Sir Thomas Moore (this may be your best bet, as you can go and rent "A Man for All Seasons"...) defying Henry and his silly Anglican church. Your got your Bolshevik revolution (iffy justification, perhaps, but any paper that involves interesting murders of royal families is a good paper). You got your nonviolent resistance in India (another rental, this time with Ben Kingsley) or again in South Africa. You got your various freedom parties in the Eastern Bloc (esp. Poland). You got your Palestinians (or some of them, anyway, ain't nobody going to agree that Hamas is justified...). You got your Socrates (he's interesting, he'll defy the law when it involves compromising young boys, but not when it comes to corporal punishment...)

    And of course, since mc brought it up: You got your Antigone (I'll bury my father/brother if I want to, Creon!)

    edit: Of the above, I would go for Thomas Moore, Socrates, or Antigone... depending on the class/teacher. they're all three favorites of dead white guys, and sound like they might dovetail nicely into a class interested in the oedipus complex and resistance to the law (hey, there's Thereau too...).. plus, they explicity discuss their reasons for breaking the law in freely available and quickly scanned/read texts...

    If you're thinking something nonwestern would work better, you've got Ghandi and a bunch of others (the Bhagavad Gita has it, the Koran, and various Buddhist texts have got some too...).

    ....I guess it all depends on what you're interested in.. what area and era...
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 12/04/2001 at 12:31 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Dude, you're too good, I'ma have to post on a PDA board for all my homework, hehe...

    I think I'ma go for Socrates, studied him in Development of Western Civilization, interesting guy. Antigone is why we're doing the paper, coming up with another example of justified crimes. I believe someone is doing their paper on a "A Man for All Seasons." Have no idea what that is, so I'll stay away from it.

    Thanks...hMm, if you have time, wanna read my essay when I finish it?
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    I think I'ma go for Socrates, studied him in Development of Western Civilization, interesting guy.
    Yep. For High School purposes, this should be a good start. I'm betting that you're going to be better off focusing on the Apology of Socrates, as that's where he defends himself and lays out why he did what he did. I like the Crito better, because that's where he explains why he is choosing to submit to Athen's laws rather than defy them at this point, even though he knows they are unjust. Then he drinks the hemlock himself. yowza.

    ..when you get tired of all that, you can have a fun little conversation with the man himself
    Antigone is why we're doing the paper, coming up with another example of justified crimes.
    Then Socrates will dovetail nicely..
    I believe someone is doing their paper on a "A Man for All Seasons." Have no idea what that is, so I'll stay away from it.
    Henry 8 wanted boys, but his wife couldn't pop one out (turns out it was mostly his fault, but they didn't know that at the time). So he wants the Pope to grant him an annulment so he can remarry and get a son/heir. Pope says no. Henry says fine, I'm starting my own church. Moore is an advisor to Henry. He's supposed to sign a piece of paper that says he agrees with what Henry is doing. Everybody agrees that it's "just a piece of paper" and nobody cares if Moore says "I don't beleive this" even as he signs. Moore refuses, He gets his head chopped off. Henry starts chopping off heads of wives.
    Thanks...hMm, if you have time, wanna read my essay when I finish it?
    Technically, that's what I get paid to do.... but if you're feeling really uneasy, shoot me an email and I'll see if I can fit it in.

    ..now for me to write a paper on, of all things, Singin' In The Rain

    Adios.

    d
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Henry 8 wanted boys, but his wife couldn't pop one out (turns out it was mostly his fault, but they didn't know that at the time). So he wants the Pope to grant him an annulment so he can remarry and get a son/heir. Pope says no. Henry says fine, I'm starting my own church. Moore is an advisor to Henry. He's supposed to sign a piece of paper that says he agrees with what Henry is doing. Everybody agrees that it's "just a piece of paper" and nobody cares if Moore says "I don't beleive this" even as he signs. Moore refuses, He gets his head chopped off. Henry starts chopping off heads of wives.
    I think you've confused me with whatever you talked about Socrates, that's not what I remember of class, haha. I'll do the research, and probably understand it. I remember that in history about Henry 8, I just never heard of that movie. Yea, it was an interesting story...That might be a nice one to do too, if I can't get the hang of Socrates.

    Cool, do you think if I send it to you friday, you could send it back by Sunday night? Send me an email, so I can reply to it, nshsieh@aol.com Thanks, you're too cool,
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Cool, do you think if I send it to you friday, you could send it back by Sunday night? Send me an email, so I can reply to it, nshsieh@aol.com Thanks, you're too cool,
    this weekend=bad. perhaps I could take a quick look at it, but won't be able to give any but the briefest of comments. dietrichbohn@yahoo.com.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

    this weekend=bad. perhaps I could take a quick look at it, but won't be able to give any but the briefest of comments. dietrichbohn@yahoo.com.
    Well, anything is better than nothing. I'll see if maybe I can finish it Thursday or so. Thanks man...you're a cool guy
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .

Posting Permissions