Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Thought this was interesting. I was also surprised that it uses Windows, instead of Linux.

    In a bid to bolster sagging handset sales, Nokia Corp. (NOK) Monday launched a portable mini-laptop computer, marking an entry into the PC business for the world's biggest mobile phone maker.

    The Nokia Booklet 3G, which uses Microsoft Inc.'s (MSFT) Windows software, will be a "full-function" personal computer with high-speed mobile Internet access capability, Nokia said.
    Article - WSJ.com


    .
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Thought this was interesting. I was also surprised that it uses Windows, instead of Linux.



    Article - WSJ.com


    .

    Even more interesting.....you read WSJ?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Even more interesting.....you read WSJ?
    Why is that interesting? It's the only truly national newspapersin the US (I don't count USA Today as a newspaper).
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Thought this was interesting. I was also surprised that it uses Windows, instead of Linux.

    .
    Most netbooks do.
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why is that interesting? It's the only truly national newspapersin the US (I don't count USA Today as a newspaper).
    what's a newspaper?

    (alright! lighten up guys! it was rhetorical!)
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6. #6  
    Hot swappable SIM cards. I wonder if its EV-DO programmable??
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why is that interesting? It's the only truly national newspapersin the US (I don't count USA Today as a newspaper).
    That was more of a at palandri. I just was shocked he reads the WSJ....I'm an online subscriber and like it a lot....so no cut at WSJ.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  8. #8  
    I was susprised also but Nokia is the worldwide number one company for phones and smartphones I hope Palm in a year, will come back to this list:
    Gartner Says Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales Declined 6 Per Cent and Smartphones Grew 27 Per Cent in Second Quarter of 2009

    Besides some USA carriers are starting to sell USA netbooks with plans

    NOKIA BOOKLET 3G MINILAPTOP VIDEO
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I was susprised also but Nokia is the worldwide number one company for phones and smartphones I hope Palm in a year, will come back to this list:
    Gartner Says Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales Declined 6 Per Cent and Smartphones Grew 27 Per Cent in Second Quarter of 2009

    ....
    Every time I see that list, I look at #5 and think how does Sony Ericsson get that high in the ratings?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Hot swappable SIM cards. I wonder if its EV-DO programmable??
    Nokia is mostly a provider of GSM devices. In the US they are often sold independent of the carriers. I would be a little surprised if this device was EV_DO compatible.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Every time I see that list, I look at #5 and think how does Sony Ericsson get that high in the ratings?
    I think it is because in that list are phones with basic features and with multimedia but are not smartphones. I know for example that Sony have a lack of bluetooth when connecting to other phone brand devices, takes too long, but have a quality sound for multimedia.
    Last edited by akitayo; 08/25/2009 at 08:00 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Nokia is mostly a provider of GSM devices. In the US they are often sold independent of the carriers. I would be a little surprised if this device was EV_DO compatible.
    I donīt know if they are still making both options in a phone. Some of it used to have.IMO or I am wrong ? Iīll try to find this info
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I donīt know if they are still making both options in a phone. Some of it used to have.IMO or I am wrong ? Iīll try to find this info
    I am sure they still make a few but their higher end stuff always seems to be GSM and mostly not available from the carrier. AT&T did just start selling a crippled version of the E71 though.
  14. #14  
    GSM unlocked versions I think
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Every time I see that list, I look at #5 and think how does Sony Ericsson get that high in the ratings?
    More than likely due to the "worldwide" moniker.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Thought this was interesting. I was also surprised that it uses Windows, instead of Linux.
    Considering they just joined forces to sell Microsoft Office on Nokia phones, I'm not too surprised (if you ditched WSJ and read MSNBC you would know this... ). I get the WSJ weekend edition, so I can't talk.

    No telling what deal was made behind the scenes...

    This is a boom for Microsoft... of course, Nokia might be worried of the Google mobile OS... as everyone else.

    Looking 10 years ahead, google looks more dangerous than Microsoft.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17. #17  
    Sounds interesting.
    Let's see what happens...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Considering they just joined forces to sell Microsoft Office on Nokia phones, I'm not too surprised (if you ditched WSJ and read MSNBC you would know this... ). I get the WSJ weekend edition, so I can't talk.

    No telling what deal was made behind the scenes...
    I doubt it has anything to do with secret deals. Nokia probably just wanted people to buy its netbook. Linux netbooks aren't very popular.
  19. #19  
    Agree If a European company wants to sell in the USA has to make this agreements with USA most used software like windows and for a worldwide market penetration.It doesnīt mean I donīt like Linux open soft .But lets be real.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I doubt it has anything to do with secret deals. Nokia probably just wanted people to buy its netbook. Linux netbooks aren't very popular.
    I was not talking about "secret" deals as more to items that were not disclosed. Actually, we don't know what the terms of this deal are... far as I know.

    But Nokia does have a world-wide influence and could have helped linux (or whatever OS they decided to put on their product).

    My point was not the deals, but the alliance between nokia and MS and why they are in bed with each other all of a sudden. Could be nothing more than Nokia's plan all along... but who knows for sure... all guesses anyway. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions