1.    #1  
    'Tis a good thing I've kept my old 33MHz machine around. Yesterday I came into possession of a 120MHz IBM PC330 with 32MB RAM but no drives or cards. Happily, I was able to meld them into one functional unit that I'm using as my main computer - I'm filling the mac with games for my son. There's something to be said for having a computer that you can easily take down to the bolts and re-assemble running an OS that you work on every day. Palm Desktop works quite a bit better on Windows (between good collaboration with email, MS Office, and even AvantGo).

I'm still buying the iBook.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  2.    #2  
    Windows chaps my ***. I'm putting madrake on this machine and using it as a firewall for my mac. If Billy Gates is lucky, I may deign to use WINE (unless, of course, Lindows ends up working).

I'm going to try for a wireless connection for my laptop when I get it.

Oh well, back to a more poorly supported, yet more logical, OS.

Anyone know if WINE works in OS X?
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Anyone know if WINE works in OS X?
    I'm not sure WINE can be ported off the X86 architecture. I remember that getting some applications to work required copying some of the DLLs from a Windows installation, but then again I couldn't get WINE to work the last time I tried it. The last time I looked, it still didn't support any of the modern versions of Quicken, either.

This discussion talks about Virtual PC for the Mac. I've never used it, so I can't comment too much on it. It's also a pretty good discussion on the iBook.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by sowens
    This discussion talks about Virtual PC for the Mac. I've never used it, so I can't comment too much on it. It's also a pretty good discussion on the iBook.
    I know. I've been in that discussion . I just don't want to add to Gates' personal fortune.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by sowens
    [...] The last time I looked, it still didn't support any of the modern versions of Quicken, either. [...]
    The biggest issue there is the fact that all of Quicken's online features (including significant portions of the help functionality) are married to Internet Explorer. Quicken is the predominant reason that I'm still tied to using my Windows partition. Yes, I know there are Linux alternatives, but none of them can compare to the functionality and syncability I get with Quicken/Pocket Quicken.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6.    #6  
    Now I'm up to 200MHz MMX with 64MB in transit (to bring me up to 96). Now all I need is a bigger hard drive so I can be like Toby and dual boot between windows and linux.
    -Joshua
    Now I'm up to 200MHz MMX with 64MB in transit (to bring me up to 96). Now all I need is a bigger hard drive so I can be like Toby and dual boot between windows and linux.
    Not that it makes much difference, but I've actually got two hard drives. A 40GB for Windows and a 13.6 for SuSE.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Toby
    Not that it makes much difference, but I've actually got two hard drives. A 40GB for Windows and a 13.6 for SuSE.
    Unfortunately, it's in a desktop case. Only one hard drive, one floppy, and one cd-rom device will fit.

So I'm going to go with samsung's combo drive and western digital's 100GB hard drive (10GB for linux, the rest for my current win98se). Then I'll upgrade the video (currently onboard) and sound (currently a SB 16). Then better speakers (what was the name of the company you mentioned in an earlier thread, Toby?). The last thing will be a tower case with a RISC (AMD possibly?) processor. All the while saving up for an ibook/ipod combination.

It's nice to play wizardry again.
    -Joshua
    Unfortunately, it's in a desktop case. Only one hard drive, one floppy, and one cd-rom device will fit.
    ITYM 'slim desktop' case? I hate those (my first self-purchased computer had one - only time I ever made that choice). A standard 'baby AT' desktop case is the same size as most minitowers.
    [...] Then better speakers (what was the name of the company you mentioned in an earlier thread, Toby?). [...]
    Klipsch ProMedias probably.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Toby
    ITYM 'slim desktop' case? I hate those (my first self-purchased computer had one - only time I ever made that choice). A standard 'baby AT' desktop case is the same size as most minitowers.
    No, an IBM PC330. It's proprietary, but the motherboard makes it worth it. It has an external cache that I just upgraded to 512k (I didn't check, but the processor may have some cache as well). Even at 200MHz it has some zip. I'm working it up to 192MB of RAM (the DIMM is cheap, it's those friggin' SIMMS that cost an arm and a leg). I'm thinking of a tv tuner card for it, but it'd have to be PCI - a little tougher to find and may require more horsepower than I have.

I'm loving this.

Klipsch was it, thanks.
    -Joshua