Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Anyone want to discuss this new bill?

    Apparently there are safety issues with our food that will be solved by new licensing and fees.

    I'd post the link to the bill but oddly enough the govt site seems to be down so we cant see it. Guess they dont want us knowing whats in it?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  2. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #2  
    http://energycommerce.house.gov/Pres...9_floorans.pdf

    Here are 160 more pages Mr. Waxman probably didn't read.
  3. #3  
    Summary of the Bill, as written by the Congressional Research Service, a nonpartisan arm of the Library of Congress.:

    Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 - Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to set forth provisions governing food safety.
    Requires each food facility to: (1) conduct a hazard analysis; (2) implement preventive controls; and (3) implement a food safety plan.

    Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to: (1) issue science-based performance standards to minimize the hazards from foodborne contaminants; (2) establish science-based standards for raw agricultural commodities; (3) inspect facilities at a frequency determined pursuant to a risk-based schedule; (4) establish a food tracing system; (5) assess fees relating to food facility reinspection and food recall; and (6) establish a program for accreditation of laboratories that perform analytical testing of food for import or export.

    Authorizes the Secretary to: (1) order an immediate cessation of distribution, or a recall, of food; (2) establish an importer verification program; and (3) quarantine food in any geographic area within the United States.

    Defines the term "color additive" to include carbon monoxide that may affect the color of fresh meat, poultry products, or seafood.

    Requires country of origin labeling on food and annual registration of importers.

    Provides for unique identifiers for food facilities and food importers.
    Deems a food to be adulterated if an inspection is delayed or refused.

    Requires the Secretary to establish a corps of inspectors dedicated to inspections of foreign food facilities.

    Sets forth provisions governing the reorganization of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) field laboratories and district offices.

    Gives the Commissioner of Food and Drugs subpoena authority with respect to a food proceeding.

    Establishes whistleblower protections.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  4. #4  
    The food import and export laboratory accredidation sounds good to me. I assume it wod extend to supplements and vitamins in this regard?
  5. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    The food import and export laboratory accredidation sounds good to me. I assume it wod extend to supplements and vitamins in this regard?
    Seems sufficiently vague to include all sorts of things.
  6. #6  
    We only need to pass 1 new law. It should state that:
    1) No futher new laws may be passed, ever.
    2) Congress must repeal at least 5 laws per week for the next 10 years.
  7. #7  
    Yepper. This bill is a total waste of paper, ink, band width and whatever else is out there from the loonies. We have a right to eat ourselves to death and I for one do not want to have any help deciding on what I eat.
  8. #8  
    Well it's quite obvious that the food industry can't regulate themselves. You have a peanut factory in Georgia that knowingly sent out peanut butter that tested positive for salmonella as far back as 2007. Last summer I was eating celery with peanut butter from Trader Joes, which I got salmonella from. The peanut butter came from that peanut factory in Georgia.

    FDA: Peanut plant knowingly sent bad products - Food safety- msnbc.com
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Well it's quite obvious that the food industry can't regulate themselves. You have a peanut factory in Georgia that knowingly sent out peanut butter that tested positive for salmonella as far back as 2007. Last summer I was eating celery with peanut butter from Trader Joes, which I got salmonella from. The peanut butter came from that peanut factory in Georgia.

    FDA: Peanut plant knowingly sent bad products - Food safety- msnbc.com
    Really? This is a result of "self" regulation (which I think you really mean market regulation)?? Not quite, the FDA has been responsible for "food safety" in this country for decades.
  10. #10  
    With all the genetic manipulation in play, regulating at the processing level is well down-stream of the danger point.

    Home garden anyone?
  11. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Well it's quite obvious that the food industry can't regulate themselves.
    Lol. you got it wrong AGAIN, pilandri.... lets try this one more time. The solution to all of the worlds woes is NOT more government controls, laws, regulations, etc.

    People have a choice to eat or not eat foods. Education is a good thing. Give them the information they need to make good choices. But keep yer damn regulators outta my food chain, tyvm
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Lol. you got it wrong AGAIN, pilandri.... lets try this one more time. The solution to all of the worlds woes is NOT more government controls, laws, regulations, etc.

    People have a choice to eat or not eat foods. Education is a good thing. Give them the information they need to make good choices. But keep yer damn regulators outta my food chain, tyvm
    And if a few dozen people die, then their next of kin will learn not to eat bad peanuts....I guess that's some form of market regulation. Pity about the dead folks, though.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  13. #13  
    Wow some of you have gone nuts with this anti-government bit. There has been plenty of illness death caused by foodborne contamination over just the last few years and some here are advocating less FDA oversight of our food sources. WTF. As if the food growing and processing industries would suddenly start looking out for our best interest over their bottom dollar if the government would just get out of the way. Of all the government agencies we should be looking to shrink or get rid of, the FDA is not one of them. Get a grip or explain to me how you would go about protecting the nations food sources.
  14. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    And if a few dozen people die, then their next of kin will learn not to eat bad peanuts....I guess that's some form of market regulation. Pity about the dead folks, though.
    I'm not talking about food inspection and safety, Bujin. Give it a rest.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I'm not talking about food inspection and safety, Bujin. Give it a rest.
    You responded directly to palandri's story of salmonella and the need for regulation, so yes you were.

    And you don't need to be snippy, just because people disagree.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  16. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    You responded directly to palandri's story of salmonella and the need for regulation, so yes you were.

    And you don't need to be snippy, just because people disagree.
    If someone picks at you at every turn, it tends to make you a bit snippy I guess.

    Regulation is a hot word for me. It implies government takeover and control, which kills industries. Enforcing health codes and standards, and conducting regular inspections, while it can be argued are elements of regulation, are not the same - that is, I don't consider them "regulation". (again, before you wikipedia it, I know that they are elements of regulation)
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    If someone picks at you at every turn, it tends to make you a bit snippy I guess.
    I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

    Look up your reply to palandri above, and then maybe look up the term "projection".
  18.    #18  
    Finally the stupid website is back up. This is an interesting read.
    GovTrack: H.R. 2749: Text of Legislation, Referred in Senate
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  19. geridh
    geridh's Avatar
    #19  
    If I get the gumption I will look up a website too, but don't feel the need yet. Look back about a year ago to the tomato scare when the "beloved" (at least from this forum) FDA blaimed salmonella on the tomatoes, what was the final source? Final answer????
  20. #20  
    Everyone in America should read the book Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and see the documentary Food, Inc. You will take a closer look at the food you are putting in your body.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions