1.    #1  
    Which means...

Get 'em while you can!!
    From what I've read at slashdot.org, HP calculators will still be around. They've just shut down the division responsible for developing new calculator products.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Originally posted by imabug
    ... They've just shut down the division responsible for developing new calculator products.
    First that I've heard about this division shut down. I haven't found that HP actually needs to produce new calculator products as their current ones are still so good.

I am still using my HP 12C calculator that I purchased back in 1979!!! I cannot believe that any technology product can last that long and still be useful but it is. I've just done my home refinancing calculations on it today.
    Originally posted by kalahari

I cannot believe that any technology product can last that long and still be useful but it is. I've just done my home refinancing calculations on it today.
    indeed. The HP28S that I bought in my first year university (1988) still serves me faithfully after all these years. It's the only calculator I've ever needed.

it was even my very first PDA. I found programs that let me store phone numbers, display the time, record ToDos. I could even store short notes.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
  5.    #5  
    My first was an HP-34c used in college and beyond. Programmable with integration and CMOS memory (so it would retain its memory when off), my dad uses it now and finally understands what programming is all about. Makes a nice paperweight and has red LED's. (And the batteries are still available from Radio Shack: AA 1.25v 850mAh Nickle Cadmium rechargeables; Cat # 23-149.)

My second (and current, though I'd like a new graphical) is the HP-32sII which combines both RPN and algebraic. Thinner and using LCD's, it uses three LR44 silver-oxide button batteries. It's amazing how much faster this is over the 34.

BTW, the other day while in a WalMart, a 12c in a blister (clear plastic) pack was going for $37 -- about half the regular price.
    i quit using calculators. i recently sold my HP 48G for less than $50 (what a deal ... for the buyer). if i can't do a calculation on either Parens (calculator on Clie) or Excel (on notebook computer), then I just don't do it ... or post on forums asking otters to do it for me ...

yeah, i wrote that ...