1.    #1  
    I was kicking around some old software and came across my old copy of AmiPro 3.1. It loaded off of five floppies. Imagine that. Performed all my essential page layout functions on a 386 machine with 2MB of RAM. Was simple, yet powerful. I could actually use the macro function too.

Six years later and I still yearn for the simplicity (and a lesson on how to use the f-ing macro functions in Word). Lotus really blew it when the moved squarely into the bloatware camp with Microsoft and WordPerfect.

I weep for AmiPro. : (
    Ah yes, Ami Pro. That was my word processor of choice for the longest time. It was the only one at the time that I could get mail merge working on.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I was never an Ami Pro user, by the time I moved to Lotus it was WordPro. I like Word Pro a lot, much more than Word or Word Perfect.

What I realy miss is Lotus Improv! The most dynamic and useful spreadsheet I ever used. It is amazing that it was discontinued some five years ago and it is still far more advanced than Excel and 1-2-3 are today.

What killed it was that people never understood the strength and capabilities of it. So they stuck to their wimpy basic spreadsheet programs and that is all we have today.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by maddog
    I was never an Ami Pro user, by the time I moved to Lotus it was WordPro. I like Word Pro a lot, much more than Word or Word Perfect.
    The first incarnation of WordPro was sluggish and bloated compared to AmiPro; a management sell-out to the bloatware being pushed in the market by Word and Word Perfect.

Had Lotus stuck to its guns and evolved their products within their own life-cyle plan they would still be a valid business concern today (not just an IBM unit with quickly fading cache). Lotus could have been Adobe. Instead they are, well, Lotus.
    I have to agree. AMI PRO was great simple yet functional, and Improv was super. Switching to different views of the data could really make a difference in a presation and it was sooo simple! How we pine for the good old days.

T
    expert = ex - a washed-uped has been, Spurt - a small drop that has a lot of pressure behind it.