1.    #1  
    Anyone knowledgably out there care to provide a current definition for what "the enterprise" currently includes?

At one point I interpretted it to simply mean "company-wide", though I would currently tend to describe it more as meaning "we used to define ourselves as being serious players in the emerging B2B playing field, yet have transformed ourselves into 'enterprise solution providers' because our customers are all gone but we still have a couple of million in venture capital left we can burn through".

Maybe some techie could provide a more concise definition for the term.
    I can't tel you what the actual definition is, but the way Handspring presented it to us was that enterprise was them selling to buisnesses at larger quantities (like outfitting your entire 50 person company)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    Anyone knowledgably out there care to provide a current definition for what "the enterprise" currently includes?
    well, it usually encompasses the living quarters and transportation for a moderate to large crew of explorers, boldly going where no one was before, seeking out new life, new worlds, new civilizations, presently being an untried but wide-eyed crew slightly hostile to the visiting alien observer, commanded by a hotshot space pilot.

Maybe some techie could provide a more concise definition for the term.
    Oh wait, you said TECHie. my mistake!

Seriously --

from dictionary.com:
    en·ter·prise (ntr-prz) n.
    1. An undertaking, especially one of some scope, complication, and risk.
    2. A business organization.
    3. Industrious, systematic activity, especially when directed toward profit: Private enterprise is basic to capitalism.
    4. Willingness to undertake new ventures; initiative: “Through want of enterprise and faith men are where they are, buying and selling, and spending their lives like serfs” (Henry David Thoreau).

They go on with other information.

www.investorwords.com identifies enterprise as "business or venture."

webopdeia.com says:
    "literally, a business organization. In the computer industry, the term is often used to describe any large organization that utilizes computers. An intranet, for example, is a good example of an enterprise computing system."

I would say that even in today's business climate "enterprise" still can be equated with a group or company that strives to reach a goal. Even if said goal is just to rob from the poor and give to the rich (but that's getting into politics). An "enterprise solution provider" is just a fancy way of saying that they handle resources for another company, for example computer systems or telephone voice mail. A company that exists only to provide services to other companies.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    That first part was funny Yoric

So when a company outsources something, like payroll, they would go to a enterprise solution provider.
    Rose's are Red
    My Visor is Blue...