1.    #1  
    NBC news is reporting that a American Airlines 767 jet has crashed outside of JFK airport.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Now they say its an airbus 300

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
    Ths is what cnn was reporting if you cant get through
    American Airlines Flight 587 crashes on takeoff in NYC borough of Queens
    FAA: Airbus A300 from JFK airport to Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic
    NYC Port Authority: 246 passengers, 9 crew
    Firefighter reports engine fell from plane, others report explosion
    NYC Mayor Giuliani says two crash sites; 12 buildings affected
    All NYC area airports closed, bridges and tunnels leading into city closed
    New York Fire Department dispatches 44 trucks, 200 firefighters
    The Pentagon said surveillance flights in the area; no unusual activity reported
    Last edited by Moohahaha7; 11/12/2001 at 06:23 PM.
    I heard they don't think it's terrorism.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
  5.    #5  
    I don't think it was terrorism but certainly that has to be the first reaction by everyone in light of the events on September 11th. It does look like it was somekind of massive mechanical failure but that does make it any better for those who lost loved ones in this accident.

One thing that definitely needs to be looked into is the cause of the multiple delays for that flight. The flight was scheduled to take off at 8am EST but didn't take off until around 9:15am EST.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Originally posted by volcanopele

One thing that definitely needs to be looked into is the cause of the multiple delays for that flight. The flight was scheduled to take off at 8am EST but didn't take off until around 9:15am EST.

Jason
    Another thing to look at is to find out what the hell the airlines did with all that money the Government gave them, maybe they should have spent some on maintenance.
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    Another thing to look at is to find out what the hell the airlines did with all that money the Government gave them, maybe they should have spent some on maintenance.
    Probably went to day to day operational costs. They didn't have their regular revenue [of ticket sales] to cover [the day to day operational costs] any more (or the vast majority of it anyway).
    Last edited by Vertigo; 11/13/2001 at 12:06 AM.
    Originally posted by Vertigo

They don't have their regular revenue to cover that any more (or the vast majority of it anyway).
    Now that makes me wanna go and rack up some more frequent flier miles
    Probably went to day to day operational costs. They don't have their regular revenue to cover that any more (or the vast majority of it anyway).
    I'd bet good money that a lot of it went to CEO bonuses.

Give me a break. These airlines were shut down for a few days. If you are running a business that can't survive being closed for a few days, you have no business being in business in the first place.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer

I'd bet good money that a lot of it went to CEO bonuses.

Give me a break. These airlines were shut down for a few days. If you are running a business that can't survive being closed for a few days, you have no business being in business in the first place.
    What are you talking about?
    That not why they got the money. They got the money because almost no one is flying now because of the terrorist attacks.. And without a big chunk of their revenue (eg- passengers) quite a few airlines are almost going out of business.

http://www.statejournal.com/Archive2...5429282001.cfm

Also, I didn't mean none of it was going to maintenance . What I meant was that the money is covering lost ticket sales, basically. I edited my other post so maybe I will make more sense
    Last edited by Vertigo; 11/12/2001 at 10:28 PM.
    So it seems that the airlines are more concerned with lost ticket sales than the operational integrity of their planes and the safety of the passengers? Just an observation, but I have always thought poorly of airline safety. Seems like a lot of the crashes in the past were due to 'technical difficulties' or 'engine failure' and such, now you and I have to pay for that with government money. No thanks, I'll drive, except for four times, I always have.
    So it seems that the airlines are more concerned with lost ticket sales than the operational integrity of their planes and the safety of the passengers? Just an observation, but I have always thought poorly of airline safety. Seems like a lot of the crashes in the past were due to 'technical difficulties' or 'engine failure' and such, now you and I have to pay for that with government money. No thanks, I'll drive, except for four times, I always have.
    Wow, you so completely missed what I was saying.
    The government is giving money to keep the airlines running on a day to day basis, that INCLUDES maintinance.
    Oh, if they have maintenance money then they so completely missed that plane.
    Yer all wrong . They said it JUST HAD A MAINTENCE CHECKUP THE DAY BEFORE THE CRASH! They said it's prabably a bird that caused it. Lousy birds .
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Oh, if they have maintenance money then they so completely missed that plane.
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    Yer all wrong . They said it JUST HAD A MAINTENCE CHECKUP THE DAY BEFORE THE CRASH! They said it's prabably a bird that caused it. Lousy birds .
    checkup, sure. Checkup don't mean much.
    One of the engines was close to its scheduled tuneup.
    Based on the info I've heard, or the way the media is painting it, it may have been some sort of engine failure.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.