1.    #1  
    Just wondering: since most students lack a strong income,
    Who provided your expensive handheld? (if you have one)
    What grade are you in?
    What handheld is it?
    Any accessories for it?

I'm from a strange school. A school where ALL students MUST buy $100 TI-83s, pay $5 for an agenda book, a $5 "Computer use" fee, $5 just for a Student ID, and various other general fees. The majority of students at my school own CD players, MD players, or MP3 players. I've even seen some non-tech savvy students blow $3000 on a new computer(their parents paid for it, of course). Many of my friends even own a car.
    Yet.... If pull out my hand-me-down Palm III, people tend to gawk and say "Whoa! What's that?!". Does this happen to you?

If it does or doesn't, about how many of your fellow students own a PDA?
    Last edited by gobab; 11/11/2001 at 07:22 PM.
    Originally posted by gobab
    people tend to gawk and say "Whoa! What's that?!"
    That's not limited to students... us old folks have to deal with it, too!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Well, there's not much I can say besides, yeah, it happens to me too.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I paid for it. I got a good $400 for Christmas and my birthday. Half was from friends at my party, something I wasn't expecting. So I got a Visor Platinum and modem, and after saving up for about 6 months I also got Wordsmith, BugMe! For free from the visoradventure, and a GoType.
    My dad got a free Palm IIIe and I thought it was cool and wanted one. So I had him ask his co-workers about good deals and one of his co-workers had an unopened refurb. ice Vdx. She sold it to me for $100 which I got from a bank account I put cash into once and a while. Over the years it ads up. Course then I got WordSmith, and AtomSmash which I paid for with my weekly allowance money.
    Most students at my school are not tech-savvy and can't do anything besides install a program, use AOL, use Morpheus or similar, play games, and use MS office. I get my agenda book, use of the computers, my student ID (although its $3 for a replacement), and use of a TI-82 for free. Most students do have CD players, and some have cell phones, and one has an MP3 player. When I first used my Visor it caused a scene. Then it settled down except for this one class I got with lots of immature students who think its a gameboy.
    I think High school students Have more income Than college students.
    Try eating ramen noodles for lunch and dinner for a semester?
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
  7.    #7  
    lol... ramen noodles

Thunderbird: What prompted you to buy the Visor?
    Ramen noodles? Shoot - I'm 28 with three kids, house, 2 cars and a boat and I still eat those.
    Techie - What's Morpheus? What's a TI-82?
    On the Ramen Noodles thing, I tried that this summer when I was working in Arizona and it didn't work. I ended up buying $1 TV dinners.

I bought my PDA that I am using now from the money I made working in Arizona along with my other accessories except for my Stowaway and Thinmodem. However my first two PDAs, a Sharp SE-500 and a Visor Deluxe came from my dad when he upgraded to a new PDA. BTW, I am a senior and I have a Visor Platinum right now.

As far as any weird experiences to share, I do have one. Last Wednesday, I had to go to first lunch because I had a test in Calculus. That day I ate a table full of debate people, so they were constantly talking about "debate" stuff. Anyways, I got bored listening to the talk so I started reading some of my Calc notes. As I am reading, one of the guys told me to put the Visor back because it was his. I told him it was mine and I showed him the screen. He then asked what was the program on there because he did have that. He then looked in his backpack and pulled out a graphite Visor, same as mine. It was even a Platinum, same as mine. The only way we could tell the difference was that mine had a Memplug in the back and he had no Springboards.

So now I know there are 3 students with Palm OS devices (1 Clie, 1 VDX, and 1 VPL) and 3 teachers with Palm OS devices (2 m100, 1 Palm IIIx). Isn't funny how students, the "poor" ones have mid-high end devices while the teachers have low-end devices.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Originally posted by volcanopele
    Isn't funny how students, the "poor" ones have mid-high end devices while the teachers have low-end devices.

Jason
    it's not even funny - my dad, mother, and step-mother are all teachers. They are the poor.
    Originally posted by dampeoples

it's not even funny - my dad, mother, and step-mother are all teachers. They are the poor.
    I was being saracastic. I know its not funny. My brother and sister-in-law are both teachers. They both have Visor Platinums, supplied by my parents as a wedding gift.

The intended jab was at the notion that m100s were for students with little money. The students are the ones with the high-end and mid-level devices. The teachers have to have the low-end devices.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Originally posted by volcanopele

I was being saracastic.

Jason
    Me too, but it's still kinda true.
    hmm a little refresher eh ?

ok with my addiction to the VC boards yet not having a visor, my parent's finally caved and got my a platinum for cristmas (biggest present I've ever gotten)... That so far that's been my parents only purchase so far.. right now I've aquaired 1 deluxe, 1 edge, 2 prisms... springboards... (tons of them), keyboards.. Being a reviewer helps...

to otired to talk ttyl
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by gobab
    lol... ramen noodles

Thunderbird: What prompted you to buy the Visor?
    Well, a friend of mine had one. It looked like it had potential, and when he showed me the modem I was hooked. I wanted my own computer, but figured a Visor, Keyboard, and Modem would cut it, since I still use a normal computer for MP3s and most of my Web browsing. I actually didn't adjust to the PIM usage for a while, but now that I carry it around with me much more I do use them.
    Morpheus= A napster clone that is popular
    TI-82= a graphing calculator that came before the TI-83 and TI-83+

Ramen Noodles. Do they taste good?
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    Morpheus= A napster clone that is popular
    TI-82= a graphing calculator that came before the TI-83 and TI-83+

Ramen Noodles. Do they taste good?
    Morpheus - I like Audiogalaxy
    TI-82 - Oh, math stuff, I happen to be a math degenerate
    Ramen noodles - Delicious, wait until college.