Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Working on a new design. Bigger font size and complementary colours.
    Last edited by Flip; 11/10/2001 at 06:15 AM.
    Posted by the creator of http://www.visor.pwwebonline.com. VISORNet provides information on Visor handhelds. The site offers news,reviews,a Shockwave graffiti tutorial,a 'what's best for you' model chooser to help you decide the PDA for you,Tips on how to maximise your Visor experience,a list of recommended software,the ability to post your own content,the ability to post info to the Palm / Visor USENET newsgroups and loads more. Check it out- its all free.
  2.    #2  
    The new design will be up soon
    Last edited by Flip; 11/10/2001 at 06:17 AM.
    Posted by the creator of http://www.visor.pwwebonline.com. VISORNet provides information on Visor handhelds. The site offers news,reviews,a Shockwave graffiti tutorial,a 'what's best for you' model chooser to help you decide the PDA for you,Tips on how to maximise your Visor experience,a list of recommended software,the ability to post your own content,the ability to post info to the Palm / Visor USENET newsgroups and loads more. Check it out- its all free.
    Whatever... why don't you at least fix the link on your first post so it works?

A little contrast for readability is a good thing... I gave up trying to read the gray and red on black in teeny type so I guess I'll never know if there's anything useful there or not. You had your shot and blew it...

Adios.
    Originally posted by YBYSAIAH
    You had your shot and blew it...
    If you're being sarcastic, that's hilarious. Otherwise I'll point out the horrid logical inconsistencies with visiting VC through their site upgrades and not visiting a site because of some problems on the uptake.

I'll go with sarcastic. That's hilarious.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I'm confused, Flip. Did you just reply to your own question pretending you were someone else? Is that a copy of an email you got? Is this a joke?

Is it good or poor.
    Poor.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Hey there. Is this your Visor site?

http://www.visor.pwwebonline.com/
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    ...the horrid logical inconsistencies with visiting VC through their site upgrades and not visiting a site because of some problems on the uptake...
    Staying with a trusted site that has an established record of useful information and interesting users during upgrades, while not investing time in a hard-to-use new upstart with no track record, is completely logical.
    Jeff
    okay, I've been on the web since '94, and I've seen a lot of different website design styles and methodology and color choices, but, and no personal offense is intended, that is one of the ugliest I've ever seen.

While I'm critiquing, I had a lot of trouble just connecting to the site, and it failed on me every time I tried to move more than one page beyond the main. These may be server issues, it wasn't 404.

FOr that matter, the comments you posted above ought to have some sort of attribution, there's no way to know if they're real or not -- especially since the negative one has a by it.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    Staying with a trusted site that has an established record of useful information and interesting users during upgrades, while not investing time in a hard-to-use new upstart with no track record, is completely logical.
    Disagreement exists, then. I'm generally more forgiving of a new site than I am an established one. Try designing your own site and getting it perfect the first time. You only get one chance.
    -Joshua
    Hey Change the color scheme on the site. It is tough on the eyes the way it is now. The colow coordination seem out of whack.
    I'm confused. First you say:

Originally posted by ****-richardson
    I'm generally more forgiving of a new site than I am an established one.
    Then you say:
    You only get one chance.
    Which is it? And as for:
    Try designing your own site and getting it perfect the first time.
    I could never build a bicycle, but if one doesn't meet a certain level of quality, I'm not going to ride it. Personally, if I can't quickly figure out how to get what I need out of a site, I move on.
    Jeff
    Well first immediate impressions-I have not read any content- is that the layout, color scheme, etc, is not very appealing. The colors don't seem to match or compliment each other at all. Not sure why you chose a little - very little - scroll text in the center, also lose the dashed outline. It is possible to over do CSS. I would HIGHLY recommend you submit it on the "Judge and Jury" section in the Elated forums.

Elated is a GREAT resource for web design and the community is extremely friendly and helpful. The are helpful, but honest, and will tell you if it sucks @$$. So be prepared.

Good Luck!

Aaron
    Sorry Flip- I found it to be very slow (using a T1 connection), hard to read (you may want to rethink the colors, fonts, and font sizes), and with little content- at least, I could not find or open any.

Good luck with it!
    Ok, I have had a chance to look around the site and I have to say I don't like the look and feel of the site at all. You should rally practice some on tables and positioning of links, color scheming.

Also, whats with the big gray area over the main text with a tiny "home" written in?

You seem to have two very different logos going on too. I like the one in the top left better than the one with the Visors in them.

Navigation is confusing, the links above the main text should be centered over the logo, lose or move the "last updated" somewhere else. It doesn't belong with the links. On second glance, I'd lose all of them, the serve no real function.

Major point: Where's the content? You shouldn't launch a site if you don't have much to say. At least remove the links that lead to blanks until you can fill them up.

Hope any of this helps.

Aaron
    Last edited by DingoFish; 11/09/2001 at 09:44 AM.
    Well first immediate impressions-I have not read any content- is that the layout, color scheme, etc, is not very appealing. The colors don't seem to match or compliment each other at all. Not sure why you chose a little - very little - scroll text in the center, also lose the dashed outline. It is possible to over do CSS. I would HIGHLY recommend you submit it on the "Judge and Jury" section in the Elated forums.

Elated is a GREAT resource for web design and the community is extremely friendly and helpful. The are helpful, but honest, and will tell you if it sucks @$$. So be prepared.

Good Luck!

Aaron
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    I'm confused...Which is it?
    Maybe re-read my post? I was trying to point out to you the difficulty in designing a decent site (hence the "you only get one chance - IOW, making a perfect website the first try is damn near impossible). That's why I'm rather forgiving of a newbie's site (hence the "I'm generally forgiving...").
    And as for: I could never build a bicycle, but if one doesn't meet a certain level of quality, I'm not going to ride it.
    That's about the most asinine example I've heard in a long time. Is there physical danger to you by visiting some guys ****-poor website? Should we get federal regulators to set minimum standards for website quality in order to protect public safety?
    Personally, if I can't quickly figure out how to get what I need out of a site, I move on.
    That's your preference. I check back infrequently to see if the place has gotten any better.
    -Joshua
    EVERYONE's a designer, eh? Well, let me tell you kid, you got a long way to go, considering your site didn't even appear for me. You site's down or something.

Go do something else with your life rather than sitting in front of a monitor pretending to be a web master.
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    OUCH!

Hey, I'm no web designer but come on Pasta G. A little constructive criticism goes along way. You sound like my high school counselor.
    "We are the people are parents warned us about."

<b>Clark Fralick</b>
    OK here's for some constructive criticism:

Your site's down, I couldn't even see it. Before posting your link on a website with an audience like this one, make sure your ducks are in a row.
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    I think everyone agrees that this guys site was poorly designed. He should have worked more on it, got more advice, etc. But WTF is up with the hostility about it? I mean the site's down because he's changing it, go and read the first post again.

A guy tries something new and half the folks here are telling him to f'off for even trying because he's not as good a designer as them or other sites the have seen.

Give the guy a break.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast