1.    #1  
    I hopped on PriceWatch today to see what current prices were on RAM. Unbelievable. They were selling 128MB DIMM's for $4.00.
    Granted, it is generic RAM and I always question compatible in some systems, but still, that is dirt cheap.

So, I went to Crucial and bought a 256MB DIMM PC133 RAM for my Dell. It was only $30.00. No tax and no shipping with FedEx 2nd day.

In another month, they will be giving the stuff away. I remember paying over $200.00 for 32MB. This is just great, come on Friday.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Heck, I just upgraded two machines from 128 to 256MB of RAM, now I am thinking I should ditch the DIMs and pop in a couple of 512MB modules. I never thought I'd have over a GB of RAM, and frankly I am not sure if it will make a noticable difference.

In the past month I upgraded my old 400Mhz Celeron machine from 128 to 256MB of RAM, upgraded to a 7200 RPM hard drive, and switched to Windows XP Home Edition. Now the thing fairly screams. Updating the RAM alone didn't seem to improve my performance any using WIndows ME. Apparently XP does a much better job of allocating memory, and recognizes RAM over 512MB which Windows 98 and ME did not.

Perhaps I will donate my 128MB Simms to charity.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    Heck, I just upgraded two machines from 128 to 256MB of RAM, now I am thinking I should ditch the DIMs and pop in a couple of 512MB modules. I never thought I'd have over a GB of RAM, and frankly I am not sure if it will make a noticable difference.

In the past month I upgraded my old 400Mhz Celeron machine from 128 to 256MB of RAM, upgraded to a 7200 RPM hard drive, and switched to Windows XP Home Edition. Now the thing fairly screams. Updating the RAM alone didn't seem to improve my performance any using WIndows ME. Apparently XP does a much better job of allocating memory, and recognizes RAM over 512MB which Windows 98 and ME did not.

Perhaps I will donate my 128MB Simms to charity.
    I was tempted to go with two 256MB DIMMS and dump the 128 that is already in there. Unfortunately, that is as far as I can go, I only have two slots. Of course, as you said, WIN98 does not handle memory above 512MB anyway, so what is the point?

I would buy a new machine with XP before I attempted to upgrade. WIN98SE has been great on this machine, I would hate to ruin it trying to "improve".

It is really hard to believe that RAM is so cheap. I mean, you could have really have 1GB of RAM for almost nothing. That is so unreal.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I remember back when I had a 386 with one MB of ram and I bought another for $200 or something for a grand total of 2MB. Makes you laugh.
    Originally posted by PlantATree
    I remember back when I had a 386 with one MB of ram and I bought another for $200 or something for a grand total of 2MB. Makes you laugh.
    Or cry!
    Originally posted by PlantATree
    Ever noticed how much more productive all that extra speed, memory and hard disk space has made you? I didn't think so.
    Is there a way to determine what kind of RAM my system has without opening the box and actually looking at the chips?
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Originally posted by maddog
    Is there a way to determine what kind of RAM my system has without opening the box and actually looking at the chips?
    I have a Compaq and went to the website and it told me all I needed to know. The people at BestBuy where I got some memory also have a book explaining to them what fits what, but I guess this would only work on factory systems.
    Sterling
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by maddog
    You can also go to Crucial's website and go through all the selectors, picking out make and model of your machine. They will then tell you what type of RAM your system uses.

CrucialTechnologies