Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    You can still get the coke made from cane sugar, it's in the kosher section (look for Kosher Coke with the Kosher symbol)
    The only problem with that idea is that I don't recall seeing a kosher section in any local groceries (although I'll have to look now that there's a bit of motivation, but I still don't think I'll find one). I don't believe that we have much of a Jewish population here.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Usu., Coke is made with High Fructose Corn Syrup, not cane or beets.
    Yep, nearly all soft drinks have gone that route AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Yep, nearly all soft drinks have gone that route AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    If you notice, there is a 'may include one or more of the following' disclaimer when they list the sweeteners. They do this because the sweetener may change from day to day...they simply play with the market, ordering the cheapest possible sweetener each day.

I *think* that has to do with artificial price subsidies for the Cane and Beet growers, but I'm not sure. I do know that you can find ma-and-pa soda companies that still use cane sugar.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  4.    #24  
    Originally posted by homer
    I do know that you can find ma-and-pa soda companies that still use cane sugar.
    Like Tab?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Like Tab?
    lol!
    If you notice, there is a 'may include one or more of the following' disclaimer when they list the sweeteners.
    Just FYI, the cherry Coke I had at lunch says "High fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose" on the can. It also says "phosphoric acid" which is prbably why I never read ingredients.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.

You can still get the coke made from cane sugar, it's in the kosher section (look for Kosher Coke with the Kosher symbol)
    Now tell me where to find that in Houston.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    If you notice, there is a 'may include one or more of the following' disclaimer when they list the sweeteners.
    I don't know what soft drinks you drink, but none of the major manufacturers has any such disclaimer on the soft drinks in this locality. They specifically list 'high fructose corn syrup'.
    They do this because the sweetener may change from day to day...they simply play with the market, ordering the cheapest possible sweetener each day.
    That cheapest possible sweetener seems highly unlikely to ever be cane sugar.
    I *think* that has to do with artificial price subsidies for the Cane and Beet growers, but I'm not sure.
    I'd lay dollars to donuts that the corn farmers get much better subsidies. The available land in which corn will grow far outstrips that in which cane will grow, no doubt. I'm also not aware of any cane growers which receive subsidies (although I do not deny it's a possibility). Cane farmers certainly aren't hurting here.
    I do know that you can find ma-and-pa soda companies that still use cane sugar.
    No doubt. Most of them would probably tell you that although it's more expensive, it produces a 'better' tasting product.
    Originally posted by Toby
    I don't know what soft drinks you drink, but none of the major manufacturers has any such disclaimer on the soft drinks in this locality. They specifically list 'high fructose corn syrup'
    Coke: "Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose [...]"
    Pepsi: "Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar [...]"
    Sprite: "Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose [...]"

...and so on...
    amazing how a question about the new Mac OS turned into a pissing match* about soft drink content.

* That's a joke, son. Pay attention to me boy! I ain't talkin just ta hear my head roar!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Apple should come out with a soft drink. iPop or something...
    -David Byrne
    iPop or something...
    lol!
    help, I spilled iPop on my iPod! iYiyi!
    and it could come in five different colors, which all taste the same ...
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by Yorick
    and it could come in five different colors, which all taste the same...
    , cost twice as much, and is laced with opiates "and/or" () hallucinogens so it sells based on user experience and not actual content.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

, cost twice as much, and is laced with opiates "and/or" () hallucinogens so it sells based on user experience and not actual content.
    But wouldn't they get in trouble with Coke for that?
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by Yorick
    lol!
    help, I spilled iPop on my iPod! iYiyi!
    and it could come in five different colors, which all taste the same ...
    and the bottom of the can would come off at random spilling soft drink all over your lap. But the drinkers of iPop would still claim it's better than "billPop" which is cheaper, tastier and more readily available.
    Originally posted by creole
    But the drinkers of iPop would still claim it's better than "billPop" which is cheaper, tastier and more readily available.
    cheaper, more readily available, sure; tastier, don't think so.
    and the bottom of the can would come off at random spilling soft drink all over your lap
    I lost the metaphor (simile?) on that one.
    -David Byrne
    I lost the metaphor (simile?) on that one.
    maybe trying to allude that Macs are crashy? Which they're not, except OS 9.0.4, relative to Windows.
    Oh! Well, Macs are crashy. But so is Windows. Win2000 hasn't been too bad to me, it crashes a lot less than OS9 does.

A lot of the 'crashiness' has to do with third party apps and you can't really blame the OS, I suppose.

OSX is amazing simple because it does not crash. I am so amazed by that.
    -David Byrne
    Yeah, I tend to go weeks without a reboot in a development environment.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12