Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    which free or cheap windows software do people find is best for turning cds into mp3s?

    thanks,

    mc
  2. #2  
    Just do a search on zdnet.com downloads, or tucows.com. Either of those will have some free converter programs that will work for ripping MP3's.

    BEN
  3. #3  
    Well, REAL Jukebox works fine if you are ripping from an Audio CD into MP3 format. So does MusicMatch.

    I also use LAME, which is a Command Line Encoder. In addition, I use RazorLAME, a GUI interface for LAME. This program is free and gives a lot more options. It has proved extremely useful in converting MP3's into the proper format for the CLIE.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by GSR13
    Well, REAL Jukebox works fine if you are ripping from an Audio CD into MP3 format. So does MusicMatch.

    I also use LAME, which is a Command Line Encoder. In addition, I use RazorLAME, a GUI interface for LAME. This program is free and gives a lot more options. It has proved extremely useful in converting MP3's into the proper format for the CLIE.
    realjukebox doesn't seem to let me record about 96kbps. i'd like 128. i'll check out musicmatch.

    thanks,

    mc
  5. #5  
    I've been using Musicmatch for over a year and it does the trick very well. IF you want to convert back to a CDA file, it can do that also, but seems to take up more space than the original file. If you rip a CD to MP3, then convert it back to a CD audio file (as is useful if you want to rearrange the order of the songs) it takes more disk space. Using the larger 800 MB disks usually takes care of that though.

    For general playback of MP3 files, I prefer Winamp as there are so many great skins and plugins for it. Musicmatch does a fine job of playback also, but just not as much eyecandy. Musicmatch will also print out your CD covers and track listings for you. Overall, it is a good program and worth the registration fee. Have fun ripping.
    The following space intentionally left blank...

    RadarGreg
  6. #6  
    FWIW, musicmatch screwed me over by charging me the extra 50 bucks for lifetime updates when I registered, despite my clicking the NO button (it's set to Yes by default, jerks..). I've gotten a couple of overdraft fees as a result. I starting emailing them on Wednesday (i.e. a week ago) and they've yet to respond....

    yep.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by mensachicken


    realjukebox doesn't seem to let me record about 96kbps. i'd like 128. i'll check out musicmatch.

    thanks,

    mc
    I have the free version of REAL Jukebox and it lets me record from 32kbps all the way 320kbps.

    Go into TOOLS | PREFERENCES... | AUDIO QUALITY

    Now, select the type of file, MP3, ATRAC, etc...

    On the bottom of the page, select the Quality level.

    It has always worked great for me.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  8. #8  
    For me it's a two step process:

    1) CD Copy to rip fropm the CD into WAV (http://members.aol.com/mbarth2193/)

    2) Use BladeEnc (http://bladeenc.mp3.no/) with BladeBatch GUI (http://www.uic.nnov.ru/~loea/download/bladebatch.zip) to convert to MP3.

    An extra step compared to some but Blade Enc allows bit ates of up to 320.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by creole
    For me it's a two step process:

    1) CD Copy to rip fropm the CD into WAV (http://members.aol.com/mbarth2193/)

    2) Use BladeEnc (http://bladeenc.mp3.no/) with BladeBatch GUI (http://www.uic.nnov.ru/~loea/download/bladebatch.zip) to convert to MP3.

    An extra step compared to some but Blade Enc allows bit ates of up to 320.
    If you only want BitRates up to 320, why not use REAL JukeBox? They go from 32kbps to 320kbps.

    The only thing I dislike, is you cannot change the SamplingFrequency. That is why I use RazorLAME. I have some really large MP3's that were 32kbps 22khz. I wanted them 32kbps 44.1khz, so my CLIE can play them. RazorLAME does just that, allows me to to encode an MP3 and change only the Sampling Frequency.

    Otherwise, I just stick with REAL JukeBox or MusicMatch.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by GSR13


    I have the free version of REAL Jukebox and it lets me record from 32kbps all the way 320kbps.

    Go into TOOLS | PREFERENCES... | AUDIO QUALITY

    Now, select the type of file, MP3, ATRAC, etc...

    On the bottom of the page, select the Quality level.

    It has always worked great for me.
    i don't know what version you have (i have realjukebox 2) and if i follow your instructions and chose mp3 as the format, i only have three options 56, 64 and 96.

    mc
  11. #11  
    I use CDCopy too and don't have any problems. Some have suggested using EAC (Exact Audio Copy), which reads the CD multiple times to ensure a good rip. (Apparently audio data on CDs doesn't have extra bits for error detection/correction.)
  12. #12  
    I can encode 128K MP3's at 20x using RealJukebox Plus. I currenty use Windows Media Player 8 with the MP3 Creation Pack since it automatically adds the album cover art to the folder icon. The speed is probably only around 15x. As a jukebox, Media Player is pretty lame.
    Other options are:
    Cdex (free)
    EZ CD-Extractor ($29.95 for full suite) http://www.poikosoft.com/
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by mensachicken


    i don't know what version you have (i have realjukebox 2) and if i follow your instructions and chose mp3 as the format, i only have three options 56, 64 and 96.

    mc
    Well, that is just crazy. Here is what I have:

    REAL JukeBox 2
    Build 1.0.2.340

    And trust me, I can encode from 32 to 320. Maybe this is a newer version.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2

Posting Permissions