1.    #1  
    Read all about it at PC World, then come back here to rant or rave.
    Copy protection is a loosing battle. Everytime the industry comes out with a new 'unbreakable' system, a week or two later, someone has broken it already.

It's a waste of their money, and, eventually, the consumer's money.

I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, from what I understand, this copy-protection crap is only being used in top-40 CDs right now.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I'd be more worried if I purchased CD's.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I'd be more worried if I purchased CD's.
    Tell me about it.

I've recently discovered these places called 'record stores'. They have these amazing old-school 12" music discs for $3-$8 on average. And it's all stuff you haven't heard overplayed on the radio 20 times.

Long live the LP.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    So, if you've got an iBook and want to listen to a CD on a plane trip, you have to bring a portable CD player? That's friggin wonderful .
    garinballbarin
    Homer I hate to say it, buttt i agree with ya.
    All that protection money is only for the CD's and songs you already hear, every hour on the hour.

I really miss Napster!!!
    I really miss digging around for LP's and tapes at the "Music Go Round".

I love the digital age **** it makes my huge collection of tape and 12inch, sad to look at in others eyes
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
    You know, there an ineffable quality to the scratches on an LP. That's how I remember most of the songs that I listen to "digitally remastered."

Originally posted by culo77
    I really miss Napster!!!
    I'm not advocating the use of Morpheus.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I don't get it. There's nothing they can do to stop people from simply recording the audio out of any CD Player and encoding that into an MP3.

But, as always, we vote with our pocketbooks.
    Just don't buy the CDs with this junk built into them. And if they fail to tell you that a disk has copy protection, you have every right to return it (AFTER you record and encode every track off of it. lol ).
    Originally posted by Vertigo
    And if they fail to tell you that a disk has copy protection, you have every right to return it (AFTER you record and encode every track off of it. lol ).
    In many states, the law prevents you from returning opened copyrighted music ad software. You can only exchange it for the same item and only then if defective.
    So, I mean, nice idea, but won't work in practice.
    Though one hopes that since they're limiting your use of the product, and aren't going to tell you in advance, you have every right to return it. I'm expecting a licensing agreement (like that for software) to turn up on music CD's any day now.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick

Though one hopes that since they're limiting your use of the product, and aren't going to tell you in advance, you have every right to return it. I'm expecting a licensing agreement (like that for software) to turn up on music CD's any day now.
    Exactly. If they won't accept it, people will raise hell. Just wait
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't.