1.    #1  
    Has anyone figured out how to use Mac OS 10.1 and hotsync'g with a visor deluxe. I'm using a serial port base with a powerbook (old computer) and even in OS 9.2.1 it won't work. I've reinstalled Palm desktop from handspring and even a new version from Palm but nothing. Any ideas?
    There is some info on Palms website, but until Palm gets off their butts and realeases an OSX client (promised by the end of the year), I am not even wasting my time trying to synch on my Mac.
    At this rate, there'll be PocketPC support for OSX before Palm ever gets around to doing anything...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Some people have been able to run their Visors under OS X.1's Classic mode, but I have not yet tried this.
    I don't think serial sync works in Classic. Expect an opinion piece if the PocketPC can sync on X before Palm can.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I seem to remember being able to sync my Prism with Classic running..
    But it's a USB cradle. Yup, It's syncronising right now.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 11/07/2001 at 03:23 AM.
    With a USB port:

I can sync with Virtual PC under OS 9.2. (Not with OS X obviously since the USB ports are not supported.)

I will try native OS 9.2 synching next under Classic. I do not have OS 9.1 since my iBook shipped with 9.2/X.1 only.
    Originally posted by Eug
    With a USB port:

I can sync with Virtual PC under OS 9.2. (Not with OS X obviously since the USB ports are not supported.)

I will try native OS 9.2 synching next under Classic. I do not have OS 9.1 since my iBook shipped with 9.2/X.1 only.
    Whaaaat are you talking about?

Please clarify your post. Are you saying that serial cradles don't work in OS 9? I have no idea why you brang up VirtualPC either. What statement are you making about serial cradle sync in OS 10?

--

If you're using a USB cradle, there is no reason to be using VirtualPC at all, in either OS 9.x or OS 10.x - Both of those Operating Systems sync perfectly with USB cradles (OS X running classic, of course).
    Originally posted by Vertigo

Whaaaat are you talking about?

Please clarify your post. Are you saying that serial cradles don't work in OS 9? I have no idea why you brang up VirtualPC either. What statement are you making about serial cradle sync in OS 10?

--

If you're using a USB cradle, there is no reason to be using VirtualPC at all, in either OS 9.x or OS 10.x - Both of those Operating Systems sync perfectly with USB cradles (OS X running classic, of course).
    I did specify I was using a USB port, but I guess I shouldn't assume that people would know I'd be talking about the USB cradle (which I AM using), since USB to serial converters do exist.

I mentioned VPC just to say it works fine for those wanting to know - it's supposedly easier to get VPC and Outlook working with an MS exchange server than any of the Mac software (including the buggy Outlook for Mac).

As for OS 9.2 it is not officially supported by the sync software, but I will be setting it up for use with my Visor Deluxe soon.

What I really want (as we all do) though is native OS X synching. I dislike OS 9 and wish to avoid using Classic as much as possible. I will be running Microsoft Office v.X with Entourage v.X soon. I've been checking out a beta, and it's VERY nice.
    I sync (PRISM) all the time using Classic/OS 9.2.1 while running OSX10.1.1. At first I believe I had some trouble. That went away when I downloaded Palm Desktop 2.6.3 from the Palm site. It supports Handspring USB connections. It works fast and clean. I used to have hangups running Handspring versions where it would wait too long to identify the User. Now it just cranks right through.

I also downloaded Palm Desktop 4.x from Palm and use it in VirtualPC 4.0 running under 9.2.1, not with MAC OSX running at the same time. I can take advantage of syncing some new software that is only shipped in a .exe format. I will be happy when Mac OSX compliance arrives and VirtualPC for OSX is finished.