Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1.    #1  
    How in the blazes do I set my computer up as a DHCP client?

    How do I "force quit" programs?

    I installed star office (in /home/openoffice - would there be a better place?), now how do I run it from the command line and KDE?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  2. #2  
    force quit is ctrl-c

    star office, I would install it in /usr/local/soffice
    to run it goto its directory and type soffice there are instruuctions that came with it or that are on line.
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    How in the blazes do I set my computer up as a DHCP client?
    Never set mine up as a DHCP client before, but /usr/docs should contain all the Linux HOWTOs. Do a grep -i for DHCP and you should find something useful.


    How do I "force quit" programs?
    kill -9 <PID>

    where <PID> is the process ID of the program you want to kill. You can find that out with ps -ax.


    I installed star office (in /home/openoffice - would there be a better place?), now how do I run it from the command line and KDE?
    Check the OpenOffice web site. There's got to be something there about installations.

    Hope this was helpful.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  4.    #4  
    I configured linux to use a static ip address. It was much easier and there isn't much risk of it changing.

    It looks like * - esc is force quit. The question arose because I somehow managed to halt kde. The problem with the kill command was that I wasn't able to type it while the gui was running in the fore. Isn't there a key combination that lets you open another command-line session at the same time?

    I tried moving /openoffice, but it still didn't work, so I deleted everything and will try a re-install. Is there a registry or similar that I need to worry about?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

    It looks like * - esc is force quit. The question arose because I somehow managed to halt kde. The problem with the kill command was that I wasn't able to type it while the gui was running in the fore. Isn't there a key combination that lets you open another command-line session at the same time?
    I think alt-F<n> (function key where N is 1 - 8) will automatically switch out of graphics mode and give you another console window, but it's been a loooong time since I've done that.

    Originally posted by ****-richardson

    I tried moving /openoffice, but it still didn't work, so I deleted everything and will try a re-install. Is there a registry or similar that I need to worry about?
    Not that I'm aware of.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)

Posting Permissions