Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Toby
    Of course, I don't have a wintel. I've got a WinLinAMD.
    That makes all the difference
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    work with Flash
    Ugh. Tell me about it. Flash is the buggiest piece of s#$% program ever made for the Mac. I can't go more than 20 minutes without it crashing on ANY of the 3 macs I use. And the plug-in just sucks. The same flash file plays smoothly as can be on a low-end PC but jerks all over the place on a Mac.

To be fair, however, this is ALL Macromedia's fault...you can't blame the machine, but, that said, if Flash IS a big part of your job, go with a PC...at least for now.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by icthus
    For those that have a good deal of experience with both systems; if you had them sitting side by side in your home, would you default to one and hardly ever use the other, or would they get similar use? Why?
    I am right now using both systems simultaneously. My PowerBook is used for writing articles, web browsing and email. The PC I use for web browsing, Photoshop & Office (waiting for the OS X versions), and printing (HP hasn't released OS X drivers for my DJ 640C). If I had a KVM USB switch and just expanded my Mac's screen I would rarely use the PC.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  4.    #24  
    Sorry for not responding, I was attending (read - not winning) the worst fishing tournament of my life. I think I'll take Foo's advice and hog a Mac at the store and take it for a spin, I do just use my computer mainly for email, the net, blah blah, I've got a NT/95 laptop to do anything else I need to, free business software as well...off to Circuit City. (I need something to do, gonna get too cold for fishing real soon anyway)
    Sterling
    Originally posted by icthus
    For those that have a good deal of experience with both systems; if you had them sitting side by side in your home, would you default to one and hardly ever use the other, or would they get similar use? Why?
    The Mac would get more use from me because I like them better, have more fun with them, and find them easier to fiddle with. PC's to me are more sensitive to change, crashy, and lacking in "neat" stuff beyond games.
    for example, I have a random alert sound, a random background picture, and a random signature for my email, and after a couple years of trying to find a way or some software to do it I still don't know of ways to those on a Windows PC.
    Plus I like that recent Macs aren't beige. (okay, so there are a number of PC makers that are adding color to their machines, but it seems stopgap and copycatty.)
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    [...] for example, I have a random alert sound, a random background picture, and a random signature for my email, and after a couple years of trying to find a way or some software to do it I still don't know of ways to those on a Windows PC.
    Here is a way to do the last. I'm sure there are others that will do the other two. A TUCOWS search would probably turn something up.
    Plus I like that recent Macs aren't beige. (okay, so there are a number of PC makers that are adding color to their machines, but it seems stopgap and copycatty.)
    The H-Paq method would certainly fit this mode, but I think manufacturers like AlienWare and Voodoo are certainly doing some quite nice things with cases that don't resemble Macs at all.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by sowens

Ok, Flash I get, but 3D? I would think a G4 (for the Altivec extensions) and OSX (for OpenGL) would be just about an ideal platform for 3D work
    Not sure about 3D modelling, but a huge part of 3D games is the graphics card, not just the CPU itself. By default, all Macs and most PCs come with less than the greatest 3D cards. iMacs and iBooks have older graphics cards based on the ATI Rage 128, which I don't believe you can upgrade. You can order PowerMacs with a GeForce3, but the default seems to be a GeForce2 MX. I don't know how easy it would be to upgrade if a newer card did come out. But on the other hand, PCs have a lot of graphics options which can be yours if you can afford it and install it...
    Originally posted by dalamar70
    I don't know how easy it would be to upgrade if a newer card did come out.
    PowerMacs use standard AGP slots, and most video card makers have drivers for Mac.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12