Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am 33 years old and I can remember my first video game was Telex Pong, it had two dials on a small console and you hooked it up to the TV. By the time I was in about 6'th grade, my dad had upgraded me to the Magnavox Odyssey2 (bought from Crazy Eddie's in NY. Everyone else had an Atari 2600 but I loved (and so did my friends) the O2! KC Munchkin, Out of this World, Pick Axe Pete, Conquest of the World, Quest for the Rings, Spinout, and Take the Money and Run just to name a few.

Then came my first computer, an Atari 800. I don't remember the specs on it but I had a BASIC cartridge for programming, 2 ROM slots, a 5 1/4" floppy, and I used an old TV for the monitor! I had a states and capitals and European countries and capitals disk for learning my geography.

I didn't own another computer until my senior year in college when my grandmother bought me a Zeos 386SX 8 Mhz with a 20MB hard drive and a 13" monitor.

Ah yes, the good old days!!!
    Last edited by Doggy; 10/18/2001 at 09:41 AM.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Epson Equity II+
    dual 360K floppy drives
    4.77 MHz and "turbo" 7.16 MHz
    14" CGA monitor
    300 bps modem
    Epson FX-85 dot-matrix printer

Starflight, Ultima II, and King's Quest were my favorite games. Those were the days...
    I think the first game console we had was also a Magnavox Odessey. But my first computer VIC-20 with the tape deck. Next one after that was a 286 sometime in high school.
    Dan Sanchez
    <A HREF="http://www.dca-services.com">DCA Services</A>
    Good ol' C64. Still have the thing. Ahhh the memories....
    The first computer of my own was a Bell and Howell (black) Apple II+ with no lower case. You had to provide your own casette tape player/recorder and cable to save and load programs.

But the first machine I remember using was a Commodore PET. It had a green CRT screen and character graphics.
    Jeff
    Atari 2600. Ah, the good 'ole days of bomber v. figthers in "Combat", naval action in "Air/Sea Battle". There was even a Space Shuttle flight sim. Man, I miss that...

Of course, that was a console. My first "real" computer was an Atari 800XL. I still pull it out every once in a while:
    Code:
    10 Print "Hello World!"
    20 Goto 10
    Soul Raven - "Små hjerne, stor glæde"
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    My brain. ;Þ
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by maddog
    Then came my first computer, an Atari 800. I don't remember the specs on it but I had a BASIC cartridge for programming, 2 ROM slots, a 5 1/4" floppy, and I used an old TV for the monitor! I had a states and capitals and European countries and capitals disk for learning my geography.
    YES!! Man, I'm jealous--we got the Atari 400, with flat, plastic keyboard and only 16k (Which my dad and I later souped up with replacement keyboard at a whoppin' 48k).
    Also, (you dog, you) we had the TAPE RECORDER to enter data instead of the floppy. On the States and Capitals game, one one side, some dude would talk about the game while it loaded.

Did you get some game called "Preppie" (I think) It was like Frogger except you had some guy in pink shirt and khakis trying to cross a golf course.
    The worst was, the games took FOREVER! on tape and after a while, they would mess up at the very end of the loading process. It was quite frustrating.
    Of course, all of this wonder was taking place on our television set, which to computer plugged into. Then we got an Apple iiC with screen and floppy

Who remembers the Sinclair?
    and i came in 2nd in 7th grade science fair with a quite lovely BASIC program that showed off the graphics and music abilities of my Zenith b&w 12 inch.
    Apple II
    hmm - a 386, MS DOS 5.2, a most likely 100 MB HD, and a dot matrix printer. I really don't know totally all the specs, saying I was 5 at the time!

I wasn't born for some of the comps you all are talkign about!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Timex Sinclair 1000.
    Originally posted by chitown
    Timex Sinclair 1000.
    Sweet--that was the tiny one...how much RAM did that baby have?
  14.    #14  
    I had a buddy who had an Apple and I have two words for you...Castle Wolfenstein!!! Not the 3D junk they released for the PC later on.

K Cannon, I had a friend who had the archaic 400, I thought I was so cool with my hyped up 800! Hated his membrane keyboard but I seem to remember having a tape player also. I had the ROM cartridges for Frogger, Missle Command, and I think Space Invaders.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I had a Commador 64 with a tape deck and I connected it to a TV for a monitor.
    Howard
    Another Atari dude here... had a 400 and upgraded the keyboard and RAM too. Bought an Indus GT Disk Drive, and boy was it sweet. It held 90K per side. And don't forget I was cruising the bulletin boards at 300 baud! Yowza! Bumped up to a 130XE and even took it to college for word processing my freshman year! And to think the Palms are more powerful nowadays.

YEAH, I remember Preppie! I was hoping to find it out there in some emulator archives, but so far no luck. My buddies programmed an awesome game in machine code but APX disappeared before they could market it to the public. Shame.
    Originally posted by maddog
    I had a buddy who had an Apple and I have two words for you...Castle Wolfenstein!!! Not the 3D junk they released for the PC later on.
    You ain't whistlin' dixie! Also: Zork. Adventures Cave. And the classic Bond text games!
    You do know you can get all the infocom stuff onto your Palm with the Frotz interpreter for all those old text games. I played Zork I just yesterday while in the doctor's waiting room...
    386 DX 33
    1 MB Ram
    126 MB HD
    14in Display
    16 Color VGA Video card
    Dos 5.0 (We upgraded to this, I don't remeber what it came with)
    Windows 2.0
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    first system was an Intellivision 2 w/qwerty & music keyboards .. granted, its probably first and foremost a game console, but it did allow some rudimentary basic-like programming and had some non-game apps ...

after that, an Apple IIe w/two 5 1/4" floppy drives

then a 386sx/16 2MB RAM and a 80MB Hard Drive (the 80mb drive was twice as large as what i would EVER need according to the sales rep) -- of course, this was a power-machine as it included Windows 3.0 and Dos 4.11 ..

From there it was a 486SLC2/66 (IBM chip), P133, Celeron/333, Apple 603/604/G3/G4, Athlon 1.33ghz (current system) -- ahh the joys of computers ..
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast