Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    I was lucky enough to get an Apple Macintosh. Now that's a nice computer when it came out, lots of GUI stuff, definitely very easy to use.
    Geez this is going way back....

My first 'puter was an IBM (can't remember the model) with one of those 3 color monitors. You pick green, blue and I think red for the character color. I remember upgrading it with one of those huge mouse, with a large white 'cue' ball you rolled around.

Then I got a Compaq, I think. I can't remember the model number of that one either. It had a little monitor built into the computer case. I believe it was around 300 mhz of power.

Then I got another Compaq. it had around 512 mhz of power I think.

Then a little over 2 years ago, I got an extreme Notebook laptop (extreme at the time) It's a 3 gig of Pentium 4 power, 1 gig of DDR ram, DVD burner, web cam built into the lid, 17 inch LCD screen and all the bells and whistles. Windoze XP pro. Still using the lapppy.

I am thinking of upgrading again soon.

Chuck
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Texas Instruments or TI for short. My mom thought teaching me 'BASIC' was a healthy thing. Well wholly crap if she was around I would send her the bill for all the techno toys I have purchased, I view it as her fault.
    Wow...talk about the good old days...let's see, my first computer I bought in 1991 was a Myoda 486DX that had a 100MB hard drive and 24MB RAM. It ran Windows 3.1, with a 13" VGA monitor and cost me $1,200!!!!

Later, I replaced the hard drive with a 500MB one and upped to 48MB of RAM, wiped out Windows 3.1 and made the machine a pure DOS 6.22 box.

It ran all the Wing Commander games like a dream!
    That reminds me - I remember getting a massive hard drive upgrade for my Evergreen 386sx: 450mb for $450 - what a bargain. Saw a 400gb external firewire job at Sam's tonight for $249. The times, they are a changing...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I was lucky enough to get an Apple Macintosh. Now that's a nice computer when it came out, lots of GUI stuff, definitely very easy to use.
    Bah! Now, if you had bought a Lisa, I would be impressed!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    My first home computer was a Radio Shack TRS80. No model number cause there was only one till the Model 2 came out. It had 4k level 1 basic. I had 2 variables, A$ and B$ and I upgraded eventually to level 2 basic and added 24(I think, or was it A1$-A9$ to Z1$-Z9$, I'm old and can't remember...C# has stolen all my brain cells) more variables and 16k of memory.

HobbesIsReal, in your pictures, isn't that a RS Color Computer(COCO) you have labeled as a TRS80? That was a Motorola CPU, I think. The TRS80 was an 8080(?8088(?))
    Last edited by Meinken; 05/03/2006 at 10:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Ti 99/4a
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Ti 99/4a
    Yes! I had the Ti99/4a also. I used to program in basic when I was a kid... good times. Using your TV as a monitor and saving your programs on an audio tape and it would only be retrievable half of the time. I had all the goodies - the speech synthesizer and a bunch of games. Remember Munch Man?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    TI99-4/A, then Commodore VIC-20, then Coleco ADAM, then Tandy 1000 SL.

I can't believe all the young whippersnappers talking about how small the hard drives were. In my day, we didn't HAVE hard drives! We recorded everything to cassette tape, and we LIKED it!!!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    The best two TI games of all time were clearly Parsec and Hunt the Wumpus. End of discussion.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow
    Yes! I had the Ti99/4a also. I used to program in basic when I was a kid... good times. Using your TV as a monitor and saving your programs on an audio tape and it would only be retrievable half of the time. I had all the goodies - the speech synthesizer and a bunch of games. Remember Munch Man?
    Ah! Memories. listening to thriller and typing 'goto' quite often.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My first PC experience was using a Commodore Pet. But my mom bought me an Apple IIe in college. It was a 1 mhz 64k pc. By the time I gave up using it, it had a color screen, two floppies, a 20 meg hard disk, 3mhz processor upgrade, 1 megabyte of ram and 2400 baud modem. It also used a color dot matrix printer and could produce documents with integrated graphics and text, and of course it played Ultima I and II and Wizardry! Sadly, I disposed of it this year when I moved to a new home, realizing that it was significantly less capable than my Treo 650! When you see how PCs have evolved, you an realize that if cars were changing as fast, we 'd have 250mpg flying cars that could wisk us to Europe in an hour and cost only about $10,000! But the old Apple still brings back many memories, meeting folks with them, using dialup bbses, and too many hours spent mapping the tricky dungeons of the aforementioned Wizardry.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    It wasn't mine, but I got to be the first to play with and program the very first "personal" computer at Colorado State in 1974. It was an HP (don't remember the model number) about the size of a laser printer. 2k RAM, cassette tape drive, with thermal printer, and 32 character led display. We could program simple amortization and business functions. It was "donated" to the business computer department to test drive to see if a computer like that could do anything constructive without Cobol or Fortran. Apparently, the dean was good friends with some higher ups at HP who had hired his previous TA - man, did I miss the boat or what.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I remember my first computer was a Texas Instruments TI 99 4a. I remember..... with fondest memories.... "I'm in a flat in London, obvious exits none, I can also see: Flight of stairs....." Scott Adams adventure games. My first game console was the Magnavox Odessey.
    It seemed rather incongruous that in a society of supersophisticated communication, we often suffer from a shortage of listeners.
    Tell a Friend-Erma Bombeck, "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries...", 1971
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy
    I am 33 years old and I can remember my first video game was Telex Pong, it had two dials on a small console and you hooked it up to the TV. By the time I was in about 6'th grade, my dad had upgraded me to the Magnavox Odyssey2 (bought from Crazy Eddie's in NY. Everyone else had an Atari 2600 but I loved (and so did my friends) the O2! KC Munchkin, Out of this World, Pick Axe Pete, Conquest of the World, Quest for the Rings, Spinout, and Take the Money and Run just to name a few.

Then came my first computer, an Atari 800. I don't remember the specs on it but I had a BASIC cartridge for programming, 2 ROM slots, a 5 1/4" floppy, and I used an old TV for the monitor! I had a states and capitals and European countries and capitals disk for learning my geography.

I didn't own another computer until my senior year in college when my grandmother bought me a Zeos 386SX 8 Mhz with a 20MB hard drive and a 13" monitor.

Ah yes, the good old days!!!

I remember back when I used an 80MHz(?) processor and the case had a turbo button that would overclock it to 88MHz. The harddrive was something like 32MB and the RAM was around 8MB. I used to play this awesome game involving a couple of gorillas and some really destructive bananas. You had to calculate projectiles to take the other gorilla out. I don't remember anything about the monitor, but I think it was a green on black 13" monitor.

Oh, and I still have my five and a quarter floppy bay

Kim 1. 1 mhz 6502, hex keypad to input your program, 7 segment display for output. I hot-rodded mine, doubled the ram by soldering in an extra 1k dead-bug style. Even had a cassette tape recorder for program storage! Yep, that was one hot little computer! :-)

Bill
    My first computer was a Tandy Radioshack TRS-80 with cassette tape and 16kb of RAM. Gosh, those were times ....
    IBM 55SX, 256kb of mem, 10mb hard drive. Then I moved onto a progression of Zeos machines until they were bought by Micron. . . . .now a Dell shop at home . . . . 2 laptops, 1 desktop and a wireless network.

Let's see, my Treo has 64mb of memory and a 4GB SD card. . . . . . . makes that 55SX look awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    When I was 12, I taught myself Basic on a TRaSh 80 going to the Rad Shack daily and sitting on a step stool.

The first 'puter I owned was an Atari 800 with a 5 1/4 floppy drive. As I recall, the drive cost more than the 'puter.

First game unit, Atari 2600.
    Hard to believe I have so much in common with daT...

I taught myself BASIC on the Atari VCS (aka 2600) using a joystick to type, and then later on my Atari 800 with 48K RAM. Before the 72K floppy drive, I had the casette tape recorder (which recorded data as sounds like a fax machine makes). Before the tape recorder, I would copy my programs with pen and paper.

I considered myself a pretty good programmer, until I got to college and learned that my techniques were derided as "spaghetti code."
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast