Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 166
  1. #101  
    I'm leaving that mess-up (#100) in here because this is what happens when you use teh Google spell checker with Firefox. Beware (although I do like Firefox).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2. Dim-Ize's Avatar
    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    #102  
    Xerox 820. It was an 8-bit desktop at 2.5 MHz and had 64K of RAM. It was followed by the 820-II at 4.0 MHz.

    This system belonged to my father and I was 11 at the time.

    I went to work for Xerox and I have been working there for 16 years this July.

    Xerox created the first PC, the first GUI, the mouse (stands for move objects you see easily - not because it looks like one - but it does), the copier (Xerographics), Ethernet, laser printing, facsimile, and many other technologies used by the millitary and government.

    These inventions (and many others) came out of PARC, Palo Alto Research Center.

    Some of their inventions - they marketed poorly - due to proprietary interfaces and peripherals. There is an intersting book, Fumbling the Future, which highlights some of these mistakes.

    Here is a linke to the 820-II (I couldn't find a good pic of the 820):

    http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpag...II-PC-1984.htm
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    Xerox 820. It was an 8-bit desktop at 2.5 MHz and had 64K of RAM. It was followed by the 820-II at 4.0 MHz.

    This system belonged to my father and I was 11 at the time.

    I went to work for Xerox and I have been working there for 16 years this July.

    Xerox created the first PC, the first GUI, the mouse (stands for move objects you see easily - not because it looks like one - but it does), the copier (Xerographics), Ethernet, laser printing, facsimile, and many other technologies used by the millitary and government.

    These inventions (and many others) came out of PARC, Palo Alto Research Center.

    Some of their inventions - they marketed poorly - due to proprietary interfaces and peripherals. There is an intersting book, Fumbling the Future, which highlights some of these mistakes.

    Here is a linke to the 820-II (I couldn't find a good pic of the 820):

    http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpag...II-PC-1984.htm
    You look sharp in that coat and tie. Seriously, I knew about all the rest, but I didn't think Xerox invented the first PC? I thought that title went to the MITS Altair.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

    Why did we ever switch to Windows (other than WYSIWYG)?
    Having had an remote inside look in the industry during that time.....I can tell you stories and strong opinions of why and how that happened....if anyone starts MS a bashing....uh.... I mean.....MS rise to power thru "innovation" thread, I would share!
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    <<I don't think I would do good in jail if convicted of inside trading!>>

    Why- are you too cute?

    Anybody remember the old red LED electronic calculators?
    Yes...well, at least cuter than the guy in Barye's avatar. Plus it does not help that I used to be a Corrections Officer in my past life!

    And yes I had one.....I remembe when it was the craze to spell words with the numbers too. Like hello was 07734 upside down.

    Here is one I found on the net:

    I created two haikus using upside down calculators.

    Illegible blob
    Legless eggshell oozes oil
    Elegize his loss

    Hellish shoe is beige
    I slosh soil, slog hill
    Hobble, oh high heel

    You can form words with a calculator by entering numbers and then turning the calculator upside down. Each number except nine corresponds to a letter.

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
    I Z E h S g L B O

    The calculator vocabulary is rather limited. I have come up with 118 words. I wrote a program to search the dictionary and select words that can be spelled using the letters that can be formed on a calculator. Among these are such choice words as gigolo, besiege, and ghee.
  6. #106  
    When I was 12, I taught myself Basic on a TRaSh 80 going to the Rad Shack daily and sitting on a step stool.

    The first 'puter I owned was an Atari 800 with a 5 1/4 floppy drive. As I recall, the drive cost more than the 'puter.

    First game unit, Atari 2600.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    When I was 12, I taught myself Basic on a TRaSh 80 going to the Rad Shack daily and sitting on a step stool.

    The first 'puter I owned was an Atari 800 with a 5 1/4 floppy drive. As I recall, the drive cost more than the 'puter.

    First game unit, Atari 2600.
    You look too young to be a TRS80 head.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  8. #108  
    [QUOTE=dstrauss]Way to go. That was my first dip in the pond too. In fact, I even added the outrageous ($250 16kb YES "kb" sidecar). I donated it to a local library (circa 85) for their collection. Did you get the tape drive to work with it?


    Yes, I remember the tape being very fluky. Do I remember it right that the Timex Sinclair was British? Seems like it was.

    I also remember the early days of TRS-80's and sitting an AM radio next to it and being able to program basic commands which would generate interference into the AM band to create music. Very crude but the precursor to the electronic music era.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Having had an remote inside look in the industry during that time.....I can tell you stories and strong opinions of why and how that happened....if anyone starts MS a bashing....uh.... I mean.....MS rise to power thru "innovation" thread, I would share!
    lets hear it hobbes --

    (I wish I'd been smarter then about how windows & M$ would envelop the planet ...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You look too young to be a TRS80 head.
    Appealing to my vanity will only work.
  11. #111  
    [QUOTE=gharrod]
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Way to go. That was my first dip in the pond too. In fact, I even added the outrageous ($250 16kb YES "kb" sidecar). I donated it to a local library (circa 85) for their collection. Did you get the tape drive to work with it?


    Yes, I remember the tape being very fluky. Do I remember it right that the Timex Sinclair was British? Seems like it was.

    I also remember the early days of TRS-80's and sitting an AM radio next to it and being able to program basic commands which would generate interference into the AM band to create music. Very crude but the precursor to the electronic music era.
    Yes, the tape was very flakey, and it was British (no connection there, I think). I believe it was the Z80 or Z81 under the original Clive Sinclair release. Still, it was great fun.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    lets hear it hobbes --

    (I wish I'd been smarter then about how windows & M$ would envelop the planet ...)
    Here, here....

    Let's start a feast of M$oft bashing while I type this in IE on a Windows XP Pro notebook answering calls on my WM5 Cingular 8125...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  13. #113  
    There is a different in respecting how a man and his company came to be successful and then have a different respect of how they use that power once obtained. This is what I am talking about Big difference.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    There is a different in respecting how a man and his company came to be successful and then have a different respect of how they use that power once obtained. This is what I am talking about Big difference.
    I agree. Do you think Gates didn't read "Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" My original response was meant to be sarcastic, not caustic.

    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  15. #115  
    My first computer was an Atari 800XL and I don't know if there was anything we didn't have for that computer (including eventually a back-up 800XL.)

    My favorite game on there was INFOCOM's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Probably one of the greatest, most stuborn annoying games that I couldn't get enough of.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
  16. #116  
    Damn, this thread makes me feel young as hell! My first computer was a Toshiba laptop that can't be more than 5 years old...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy
    Bbought from Crazy Eddie's in NY.

    I'M CRAZY EDDIE AND MY PRICES ARE INSAAAAAANNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
  18. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #118  
    A TRS-80 damn that was fun stuff. Learned Basic on that computer. We used to buy books full of machine language code and spend days entering data into the computer to finally play some terrible game.
    DATA: 48586,2033,20495,8375,1948
  19. iramike's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashmed
    386 DX 33
    1 MB Ram
    126 MB HD
    14in Display
    16 Color VGA Video card
    Dos 5.0 (We upgraded to this, I don't remeber what it came with)
    Windows 2.0

    This sounds about right, I think the only two differences I had were Windows 3.1 and 50 MB HD! Wow it was a screaming machine, it was one of those crappy Leading Edge machines!

    I later upgraded it as far as I could get it to an Evergreen Overdrive processor to 75 Mhz that emualted a Pentium, and 36 Megs of RAM! and a 1.3 Gig hard drive. Lastly a 16 meg graphics card! WOW!

    I remember when this was a hefty machine, it was amazing could at the time I could play DukeNuke 3D and such! Oh how nostalgic I am for my old computers I wish I had never gotten rid of it. I always stripped my old machines for parts, same with my next computer a real stinker of an old Pack Bell 486 SX I think it was like a 66Mhz that I upgraded to 133! and topped it out at 128 megs of ram! I was king of my friends at one time with computers, back when it matter!!

    Those where the days!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict


    The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Damn, this thread makes me feel young as hell! My first computer was a Toshiba laptop that can't be more than 5 years old...
    Are you even out of diapers yet?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.

Posting Permissions