Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Well- my friend had a vic 20, another friend an atari 400.
    My pastor had a Trash80, otherwise known as the TRS-80, (Tandy/Radio Shack).

Me... Atari 800xl... 130xe... 1040STe... & TT030, plus Portfolio pda and lynx portable color game system (and before that 2600 game console). Thus my avatar.

2 old Macs I got used... but none of the PC clones stand out.

Now have an e-machine & the wife has an hp.

My work had an osborne luggable (with 8 inch floppys?)! They used a commodore 64 to run/monitor the radio station transmitter. My retired 800xl was used as a "weather-getter" to download (300 Baud) the National Weather Service forecast from a BBS (remember them?). We still have an old teletype machine at the station as a museum piece.
    Last edited by duanedude1; 05/02/2006 at 08:23 PM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    << ps: Anybody remenbers the name of the "computer" I am takking about? I think it was Sinclair.>>

That was a Timex/Sinclair? I think Timex released the Sinclairs over here.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Good old C-64!!! I too remember loading up games from cassette tape; i remember fondly getting by 300/1200 baud (not Kb but just b) model and dialing into my first bulletin boards in the mid-80s. Then getting a big loaf-of-bread sized floppy disk and thinking i was in hog heaven. The idea of a "hard" drive seemed inconceivable. Jumpman, Ultima III, Zork 1, 2, 3, Satan's Hollow - all super games. Plus of course writing first player RPG games in Basic!
    Atari 400.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Atari 400.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Here is the order I worked my way into the world of technology...I will include pictures for those too young to know what we are talking about :

--> The original Pong Odyssey (Model 1TL200)

--> Atari 2600

--> Atari 7800

--> Com 64

--> Texas Instriments TI-99/4A

--> Tandy TRS-80

---> Tandy 1000 TX

--> Tandy 5000. Here is an ad for it in 1989. I got mine in 1990 for about 1/4 of the price.

One of my first computers, I remember upgrading my memory to 1 mb (for a small fortune) and was the envy of all all my friends. It also had a whopping 20 mb harddrive, which I double spaced and thought it was sooooo much room.

---> Then for the next 15 years I built my own and never bought another premade system until 18 months ago, when I got close to the top of line Dell.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/03/2006 at 01:56 AM.
    I remember putting together a Sinclair. I think it was a Timex Sinclair 1000 from a kit.
    Impressive.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Hey thanks a lot for the pictures. I almost cry seeing them! You show some of the computers that my folks could not afford to buy me but I was dying to get one them. That is why I ended up with that Sinclair which had a flat think keyboard. If you called that a keyboard since the keys where a thin plastic film with labels on them. I will love to see a picture of that thing again. Yes I promise I won't cry!!!

Cheers guys,

Mo.
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200 (had never heard of the 7800 Hobbes)
    Colleco Vision (cant remember if this was before or after my 5200)
    Intelevision
    Commodore 128 (I was the shyt when i got this I told everyone i had two computer built into one ) I still had my 128 in working order until '93 when my mom sold it in her garage sale for $25.00 (i wasnt home) (the lady she sold it to took it apart and used it in an art project YES i tracked her down )

Memory Lane
    Last edited by Franko515; 05/03/2006 at 04:31 AM.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    coleco Adam -- which I got for cheap after it'd been discontinued

it never worked very well-- kinda too bad since at the time it was a minor breakthrough -- letter quality printer, 80k memory (ibm's only had 64?), and it included games and software...

then pc xt clone and enough build my owns to fill a small landfill

during the last 6 mos I've purchased 3 emachines (laugh if you want -- they're cheap, fast, and under appreciated)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I remember putting together a Sinclair. I think it was a Timex Sinclair 1000 from a kit.
    Way to go. That was my first dip in the pond too. In fact, I even added the outrageous ($250 16kb YES "kb" sidecar). I donated it to a local library (circa 85) for their collection. Did you get the tape drive to work with it?

From there, it was on to "big iron" in the form of a IBM PCjr with two side cars (256k ram in INDIVIDUAL chips in a socket board - Tecmar).

JUST PROVES THERE'S NEVER ENOUGH RAM!

HOWEVER - if we're talking about our first programmable "anything" it was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Pocket Computer (LONG BEFORE PALM). It even had a cassette tape drive, 1.5kb ram, serial tape drive, BASIC in ROM, 24 character LCD text screen. You could even get atape printer (circa 1980: http://oldcomputers.net/trs80pc1.html):

Last edited by dstrauss; 05/03/2006 at 08:58 AM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by momob
    Hey thanks a lot for the pictures. I almost cry seeing them! You show some of the computers that my folks could not afford to buy me but I was dying to get one them. That is why I ended up with that Sinclair which had a flat think keyboard. If you called that a keyboard since the keys where a thin plastic film with labels on them. I will love to see a picture of that thing again. Yes I promise I won't cry!!!

Cheers guys,

Mo.
    Grab the Kleenex... .....Was it one of these?

BTW, my parents could not afford a lot too. They bought the pong and my first Atari, but I either bought the rest myself or earned them by continually winning first prize each month for selling the most newspaper subscriptions as a kid.

EDIT: Doh....I posted the picture before I scrolled down to see the rest of the post.....nice pics dstrauss!
    Hobbes -

I've used up a whole box of hankies already this morning - not just form the cool memories, but the thought that IF I had just put all that money from my hobby into Microsoft, I'd be on beach somewhere earning 20% by now!

Do your really still have all the boxes?
    Nope....Google image search!

I agree....I would also add IBM, Yahoo, ViaComm, etc...

Speaking of stocks....when I worked for the merchandising company for Corel (wordperfect, corel draw, etc..) in the 90's I would go to their Corp office every 6 months. I was talking to one of the very higher ups there. He something to me that gave me idea that it would be a good idea to buy some stock right now. It was around $0.40 a share. I didn't. Within 12 months it went up to around $30 a share! I had $10,000 at the moment I would have used. That would have been a 25,000 shares at $0.40. Which would have been worth $750,000!!!!!! But looking at Martha Stewart, it could have been one of those Blessings disguised as hell. I don't think I would do good in jail if convicted of inside trading!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/03/2006 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Nope....Google image search!
    Same here - I don't think I could afford a house with enough storage for all the past toys and boxes!
    <<I don't think I would do good in jail if convicted of inside trading!>>

Why- are you too cute?

Anybody remember the old red LED electronic calculators?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    ....Anybody remember the old red LED electronic calculators?
    Nearly caused a divorce between my parent - 1971 - my Dad buys a red LED RECHARGEABLE calculator on his gasoline credit card and ended paying for it for two years. Thought he needed it in his business; Mom thought he needed a divorce lawyer more.
    Toshiba T-1100 Plus (sorry, pictuer is actually the 1200, it's succesor with a 10mb HD in place of the second 720k floppy of the 1100 Plus):

Quote Originally Posted by [left
    HobbesIsReal[/left]
    ]....when I worked for the merchandising company for
    Corel
    (
    wordperfect
    corel
    draw, etc..) in the 90's....
    Man, the GLORY days of software - when
    WordPerfect
    was better than anything in the MS
    stable
    . I cut my teeth on WP 4.2 on that
    Toshibaa
    1100 Plus (whole OS AND WP4.2 fit on one 720kb floppy - all data on the other). That notebook could run ALL DAY on the battery charge.

Why did we ever switch to Windows (other than WYSIWYG)?
    (No suggestions)
    Edit...
    Ignore all
    Add to dictionary
    Co rel
    Co-rel
    Coral
    Corella
    Corral
    Edit...
    Ignore all
    Add to dictionary
    word perfect
    word-perfect
    Edit...
    Ignore all
    Add to dictionary
    co rel
    co-rel
    Coral
    coral
    Corella
    Edit...
    Ignore all
    Add to dictionary
    Word Perfect
    Word-Perfect
    Edit...
    Ignore all
    Add to dictionary
    stable
    stabler
    stably
    sable
    stabled
    Edit...
    Revert to "satble"
    Toshiba
    Toshiba's
    Dshubba
    Tobiah
    Tosh
    Edit...
    Ignore all
    Add to dictionary