Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    perhaps if the joke weren't rife with condescension, i would not have taken offense to it.

mc
    Perhaps you're reading too much into it. First you think we're implying that your poor, now you think I'm looking down on you. The world isn't out to get you.

Since you can't re-read the joke w/o feeling personally attacked, I'll explain it to you. It was meant to demonstrate that storage is hardly the single most important aspect of an mp3 player. It's the product as a whole. The iPod, as a whole, can be worth more than a 20GB mp3 player - or a 100GB mp3 player depending on how the rest of the product is implemented. It's rather like saying that a 600MHz computer system can't possibly be worth $1500, or a car that doesn't go from 0-60 in 5.9 could never be worth $75000. The iPod may very well be overpriced for the market; if it is, it's not just because it only has 5GB. It would probably be more likely because its integration with Windows is a day late and could be a dollar short.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  2.    #102  
    It would probably be more likely because its integration with Windows is a day late and could be a dollar short.
    Of course it makes sense to offer Windows support...and I'm sure they'll get around to it...but I don't think they really care a whole lot about it. Apple seems perfectly content in its own little world. Is there anything wrong with that? Does every company's goal have to be world domination?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    You don't. The point was that it is bright enough to actually see it in daylight. In otherwords, it's really bright.

As for sound quality, there are higher-fidelity formats that actually compress BETTER than MP3...Ogg Vorbis for one...
    Unfortunately, Ogg Vorbis is still in its infancy. The day iTunes imports songs into .ogg format and the iPod plays them, I will convert everything and never look back. My mp3's are fine in the interim.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

Perhaps you're reading too much into it. First you think we're implying that your poor,
    i never thought any such thing. as i've stated, homer's post implied (to me) that i was not in apple's target market (as we (he and i) could not afford the player). i point out that indeed i am in the target market and you jump on my head that i'm bragging that i'm rich, which isn't the case at all.

now you think I'm looking down on you.
    are you saying that your joke was not condescending? that it was not dismissing my point about storage space as if it weren't a valid opinion? i usually think that when someone rolls their eyes at something i say that they're being dismissive and condescending. don't you?

The world isn't out to get you.
    i never thought it was. i thought you were being rude and insulting. (as you are again with your implication that i'm paranoid that the "world" is out to get me.) there's a big difference. whether you see the difference or not is irrelevent.

i've stated my opinion on the ipod and won't answer you in this thread again.

mc
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    i've stated my opinion on the ipod and won't answer you in this thread again.
    You haven't answered me in the first place. All you've done is complain how you're being treated w/o coming anywhere near dealing with the points I've made. But I suppose if one can't play as well, the next step is to try to draw the foul.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by Yorick
    Considering the snafu of Apple's most recent firmware update, automatic update is a BAD thing.
    And for that matter I have to be on the newest version of OS 9 to even use it, according to the specs I've seen. Can you confirm or deny?

It does require OS 9.2 or later, or OS 10.1 or later. Honestly, I suspect that the union of people that would spend $400 USD on an MP3 player and not be using the latest OS to be pretty small. Of course I could be wrong. Personally, I only use OSX. If an app requires OS9 (or even Classic), I look for a replacement.

This is a stupid question, but why do you need the backlight in daylight?
    There have been enough complaints on this board over time about dim and ineffective backlights that saying that is is visible in daylight implies that it is very bright. It is also very white.
    Originally posted by homer
    You don't. The point was that it is bright enough to actually see it in daylight. In otherwords, it's really bright.
    Which I wasn't being when I asked. Thanks homer.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456